After 39 hours spent researching the best dog cones, we think Calm Paws Stress-Free Durable Dog Cone is the best for most people.
This choice is based on several criteria: brand, type, neck size, color, design, material, closure, padded neckline, water resistant, foldable, stress-free, scratch resistant, bite resistant, comfortable, and easy cleaning, among other things.
|Product||Price||Overall Rating||Quality||Durability||Appearance||Maintenance||Value for Money||brand||type||neck size||color||design||material||closure||padded neckline||water resistant||foldable||stress-free||scratch resistant||bite resistant||comfortable||easy cleaning|
|Calm Paws Stress-Free Durable Dog Cone||Check Price||4.8||5.0||4.5||4.5||5.0||5.0||Calm Paws||Fabric cone||6 to 17 in||Blue, black||Plain||Nylon||Velcro||Yes||Yes||Yes||Yes||Yes||Yes||Yes||Yes|
|All Four Paws The Original Comfy Dog Cone||Check Price||4.3||4.5||4.5||4.0||4.0||4.5||All Four Paws||Fabric cone||4.5 to 14.5 in||Black / Tan||Plain||Nylon||Velcro||Yes||Yes||Yes||Yes||Yes||Yes||Yes||Yes|
|SunGrow Cute Comfy Recovery Dog Cone||Check Price||4.9||5.0||5.0||4.5||5.0||5.0||SunGrow||Fabric cone||7.5 to 14 in||Black / Pink||Flower||Microfiber||Hook||Yes||Yes||Yes||Yes||Yes||Yes||Yes||Yes|
|Expawlorer Elizabethan Recovery Dog Cone||Check Price||4.3||4.5||4.0||4.5||4.0||4.5||Expawlorer||Fabric cone||16.5 to 23.5 in||Black||Plain||Nylon||Velcro||Yes||Yes||Yes||Yes||Yes||Yes||Yes||Yes|
|Kong Cloud E-Collar Alternative Dog Cone||Check Price||4.6||5.0||4.5||4.0||4.5||5.0||Kong Cloud||Donut cone||6.5 to 17.5 in||Blue||Donut||Cotton / PVC||Hook||Yes||Yes||Yes||Yes||Yes||Yes||Yes||Yes|
- 1 Selection Of The Best Dog Cones
- 2 Best Dog Cone Buying Guide
- 2.1 Diameter / Size of the Cone
- 2.2 Customizing the Fit
- 2.3 Can My Dog Still Exercise?
- 2.4 Protecting the Surgical Area / Injury
- 2.5 Blow-Up Donut Cones
- 2.6 Plastic Options
- 2.7 Foam and Cloth
- 2.8 Is It Easy to Put On?
- 2.9 Durability
- 2.10 Fasteners and Fur
- 2.11 Cleaning
- 2.12 Design and Color
- 2.13 Can Your Dog See?
- 2.14 Will it Get Stuck?
- 2.15 Secure
- 3 Frequently Asked Questions
- 4 Sources
Vet visits are inevitable, and having the best dog cone available when there’s a wound or injury to keep safe is essential.
Having your own dog cone will ensure that your dog feels comfortable and that they have something that works well for their needs.
Caring for your dog takes a lot of effort. For example, training your dog is going to take a lot of dog treats. Whether it’s going to the bathroom outdoors (make sure to have a dog pooper scooper on hand) or using dog repellent so they don’t dig up the garden, it will take time and prodding.
If you have a dog that has special needs or is doing a special job, you may need some products that are a bit out of the ordinary. Maybe you need to invest in a dog wheelchair to help with mobility. Or, if they are a working dog, a service dog vest is mandatory.
Play is always essential for your furry friend. If they’re running with you on their dog bicycle leash or just tossing around their dog plush toy, you want to know that they’re having a good time. And, at the end of the day, they’ll flop right onto their dog bed.
If they need to go to the vet for something more than routine checkups, you may be looking at caring for them post-surgery. Having the best dog cone available for post-surgery can make the recovery process a lot easier for everyone.
Selection Of The Best Dog Cones
Here are the best dog cones for most people according to Outlinist:
While many pet owners hope that they won’t need a dog cone that often, it’s inevitable that it’ll happen occasionally.
Because of this, many dog owners prefer to have their own cone on hand for when these situations arise.
Soft cones have become really popular recently because they’re safer and more comfortable than the traditional plastic style.
But, when choosing a soft dog cone, it’s important that it’s not too flexible, because your dog will be able to get to their injury with ease.
Finding that balance can often be the challenge when you need to get a cone for your furry friend.
The Calm Paws cone lives up to its name with calming colors (blue is known to help humans and animals relax) and a special pouch for their customized essential oil patches.
The Calm Paws Stress-Free Durable Dog Cone is a high-end dog cone that’s built for the best in comfort while your dog is recovering from any sort of injury.
Made from soft material, the Calm Paws cone is easy to put on and take off. It attaches with fur-safe Velcro, which is color coded so that you can determine exactly which Velcro connects to which. As a result, you can put it on quickly, even if you have a dog that is squirmy. It comes in 4 sizes and is completely adjustable so that it fits your dog’s neck.
The heavy duty outer material has been designed to repel grime, dirt, and fur. It’s water resistant, which prevents your dog from getting wet or uncomfortable if you take them for a walk while they’re wearing it. Your dog cone fabric will always be dry.
|neck size||6 to 17 in|
The Calm Paws cone lives up to its name with calming colors (blue is known to help humans and animals relax) and a special pouch for their customized essential oil patches. The patches have scents like lavender, which are hailed for their calming effects.
Lastly, this cone has their patented Easy Feed feature, which makes it much easier for your dog to wear their dog cone while eating and drinking.
The Calm Paws Cone is unique among a variety of products, due to their commitment to not only helping dogs to stay comfortable, but also calm while they are recovering from surgery, injuries, rashes, and/or other related health concerns.
There is quite a bit of give with this cone, so you never have to worry that your dog cone won’t fit in their crate.
Calm Paws is a company that works closely with pet experts in order to ensure that their products are made in a manner that helps dogs to relax. Their cone is just one example of a product that they’ve designed specifically with dogs and their owners in mind.
- Easy feed feature really makes feeding easy: There’s a small window that is really simple to open and close so that your dog is able to access food and water without making a huge mess. Open the window, stick the edge to the right space on the cone, and they’re ready to eat.
- Soft cone is more comfortable: The old-style plastic Elizabethan collars (also called e-collars) are uncomfortable and awkward. With this cone, dogs are able to run, play, and relax. Some dogs even use it like a pillow while they’re lying down.
- Calming features help with anxiety: Some dogs have big issues with dog cone anxiety, because they feel like they’re constrained or that they’re not able to see exactly what is going on around them. The patch and the calming colors work together to help your dog chill out, even if they normally hate wearing any type of cone.
- Color-coded Velcro makes it easy to get on: With lots of dog products, it can be hard to figure out exactly how to fasten things in the correct manner. Color-coded Velcro makes the process simple, because you just need to match the colors and that’s it!
- Doesn’t get caught on anything: There is quite a bit of give with this cone, so you never have to worry that your dog cone won’t fit in their crate. It doesn’t get caught on clothing, fur, or furniture. And, on top of that, if your dog runs into you, you won’t end up with bruises, which is common with plastic e-collars.
- Easy to wash or wipe down: The outside material is not just heavy duty, it’s really easy to wipe down with a wet cloth. The entire cone is also machine washable – you just need to put it in the laundry with like colors and hang it out to dry when it’s done.
While this Calm Paws collar works for a lot of different dogs, it isn’t going to work for every pup. Here is a quick look at a few of the problems that may arise if you decide to utilize this collar for your pet.
- Too short for dogs with long necks and/or snouts: The dog cone length comes up a little short when it comes to breeds like Greyhounds and Irish Wolfhounds. The combination of their long neck and their long snout means that their nose will stick out a couple of inches.
- Some dogs may still reach injured areas: Some owners recommend that you don’t use this dog cone unsupervised, because of how flexible it is. In some cases, smart and persistent dogs may be able to maneuver the cone off.
- Calming scent can be too strong for some dogs: The patches are very effective for the dogs that don’t find the included scent to be overwhelming. But, dogs who are especially sensitive to smells (Bloodhounds, etc.) may find that the scent is anxiety-inducing due to its intensity.
|Price||Check Price||Check Price||Check Price|
|brand||Calm Paws||All Four Paws||SunGrow|
|type||Fabric cone||Fabric cone||Fabric cone|
|neck size||6 to 17 in||4.5 to 14.5 in||7.5 to 14 in|
|color||Blue, black||Black / Tan||Black / Pink|
This product is well worth checking out if you are looking for a high-end dog cone for an anxious dog.
The Calm Paws Stress-Free Durable Dog Cone is an attractive, versatile, and cozy option for pet owners that want to have a dog cone on hand for injuries, rashes, and other problems that may warrant its use.
While some dogs may find ways to get it off or they may find the scented patches to be too overwhelming to use, the majority of dogs will do just fine with it. You can have peace of mind and know that your dog is calm and cozy.
This product is well worth checking out if you are looking for a high-end dog cone for an anxious dog. Made of soft material, it has all of the extras necessary so that your dog stays calm, without making the cone uncomfortable or awkward.
Dogs can make their wounds worse by licking and biting them, but a dog cone puts an end to those behaviors.
By giving a dog’s wounds uninterrupted time to heal, cones encourage injuries to heal faster so your pet can get back to feeling good.
Jokingly referred to as a “cone of shame”, it is no secret that dogs hate wearing recovery collars because they are stifling.
Though they are a necessary evil, you can make your pet’s recovery time much better by finding one that is comfortable and gives them a wide range of motion while still encouraging the healing process.
They will appreciate it.
Pets can heal and recover in comfort with this soft cone made from foam-backed padded nylon.
Putting a cone on your pet is always a hard decision because a dog just isn’t happy with it surrounding their head. It can cause additional pain when they walk into furniture and walls, gets in the way of eating and limits how hard they can play.
With the All Four Paws The Original Comfy Dog Cone those concerns are a thing of the past. Pets can heal and recover in comfort with this soft cone made from foam-backed padded nylon. No matter if your pup is eating, sleeping or walking, they are going to be comfortable while doing it while wearing this cone.
The nylon material is opaque which helps to keep your furry loved one calmer by reducing the amount of distorted view and shadows that can sometimes cause them stress and anxiousness. Two colors, Black and Tan, are available to choose from and sizes ranging from extra-small to an XX-large ensure you’ll find the right size for your pup.
|brand||All Four Paws|
|neck size||4.5 to 14.5 in|
|color||Black / Tan|
Included around the edge of the collar is reflective binding that helps people see your pet in the dark. This helps motorists see them if you’re walking your dog late at night and also keeps you from tripping over them when you’re headed to the kitchen or bathroom in the middle of the night.
A multipurpose design makes it easier for you to check or medicate a dog’s wounds and can make it easier for dogs to eat and drink.
A step above both flexible and traditional collars, this cone will help your pet still feel like themselves and keep a good attitude while they heal.
One of this dog cone’s design features that really differentiates it from others is its removable hard plastic support strips that let you determine how much structure the cone needs.
Veterinarian tested and approved, this Original Comfy Cone is the go-to product for many parents and it’s easy to see why. Using this dog cone post surgery will keep your pet comfortable and protected while their body heals.
- Comfortable: This dog cone’s soft foam-padded nylon gives dogs the ability to sleep, play and walk comfortably. It also helps you; when your pooch runs into the back of your leg, you’ll be thankful that they’re not wearing an old-fashioned hard plastic one.
- Unobstructed freedom of movement: A dog cone to prevent licking and scratching of stitches or wounds is usually rigid, but this one lets canines easily move through any area they want. The design conforms to the doors of their doghouse, narrow hallways and any other openings.
- Customize the fit: Three fuzzy dog cone Velcro strips can be fastened together to help you accomplish the perfect fit and shape. For a secure fit, elastic loops attached to the neck area let you thread the cone through your pup’s collar.
- Add structure when necessary: One of this dog cone’s design features that really differentiates it from others is its removable hard plastic support strips that let you determine how much structure the cone needs. You can insert them for more support, or remove them for more flexibility.
- Cleaning is simple and easy: Maintenance is very easy with this All Four Paws cone. Simply wipe it clean with soap and water, and because it is water resistant, keeping it clean for longer periods of time is made even easier. It can also go in the washer on a cool gentle cycle.
- Versatile and reversible design: It can be turned around to cover a dog’s upper chest and neck, reversed with the wide part of its shape facing down, or folded back to cut down on the frustrations your pet feels when wearing their dog cone of shame.
Innovative and practical features of the All Four Paws The Original Comfy Dog Cone help your furball recover and heal more comfortably during a flare-up or after a surgical procedure. A truly wonderful design, users have only had minor issues with it.
- Heavier than traditional cones: This cone is heavier than the standard ones made from hard plastic. Some pet parents, especially those with lighter or smaller dogs, have found that it can be difficult for their pup to carry it around.
- Limits canine vision: The Comfy Cone is opaque, completely blocking your pup’s peripheral vision. Your pet becomes similar to a horse with blinders on. At first they will be disoriented and hesitant to move freely, but most dogs do calm down and adjust pretty fast.
- Thick collars can be problematic: The Velcro straps and loops only accommodate dog collars that are a normal width. If you use a thick, fabric collar, for instance, the straps won’t make it all the way around and the loops are too narrow, which decreases secure attachment of the cone.
|Price||Check Price||Check Price||Check Price|
|brand||All Four Paws||Calm Paws||SunGrow|
|type||Fabric cone||Fabric cone||Fabric cone|
|neck size||4.5 to 14.5 in||6 to 17 in||7.5 to 14 in|
|color||Black / Tan||Blue, black||Black / Pink|
Made from padded nylon material, it is secured to a dog’s collar using loop attachments and Velcro straps that provide a perfect fit for your pet.
Soft and cone-shaped, the All Four Paws The Original Comfy Dog Cone is a great alternative to the rigid, hard plastic cones most vets hand out. It effectively keeps dogs from reaching their wounds or irritated areas.
Made from padded nylon material, it is secured to a dog’s collar using loop attachments and Velcro straps that provide a perfect fit for your pet. Removable stays are included that give you control over how firm the structure is. It’s best to make sure you dog is big enough to carry it and has a collar that can fit the loops, however.
For a dog cone that allows a wider range of motion and comfort for your dog, this is one of the best.
When your best furry friend has a wound, getting a good dog cone will keep them from aggravating their wound and also allow them to move around somewhat comfortably.
The right one will effectively fight off infections and hasten a dog’s recovery time.
Cones keep dogs from making their wounds worse by scratching, licking or biting it.
Of course your pup is going to hate wearing it, but it is necessary if you don’t have time to supervise them every minute of the day. A cone is definitely recommended for their recovery.
Getting a cone that maximizes their comfort and movement will help a lot.
Made of soft polyester blend, the inside is filled with plush cotton that provides dogs with the ultimate comfort.
When dogs are injured and they must where a dreaded cone, it can be hard for them to show off their personality or stay in good spirits. The cone dramatically changes their day-to-day activities, making it more difficult to walk through doorways and making it painful to bump into tables or couches.
With the SunGrow Cute Comfy Recovery Dog Cone, they can still show off their sunny little personality while recovering from a surgical procedure. Unlike standard cones, it won’t make a startling noise when your pet smacks into the garbage can and you won’t end up with scratched up walls.
Made of soft polyester blend, the inside is filled with plush cotton that provides dogs with the ultimate comfort. This cone is super-cute as the collar has adorable ruffles around the edge. Available in Stout Black, Plush Brown, Rosy Pop, Pinky Polka, Hearty Pink and Sunny Yellow, get ready to take tons of pictures of your furry little pup.
|neck size||7.5 to 14 in|
|color||Black / Pink|
It also comes in a range of sizes, from a neck circumference of 7.5″ – 9″ to 10″ – 12″, each one with a level of adjustability. No matter what dog breed you have, there is a stylish recovery collar waiting to help them recover from their injuries.
The collar doesn’t distort a dog’s hearing or vision so you can still take them for walks and they will enjoy them with no lapse of confidence. The cone secures to the dog collar but there is room where it splits to attach the leash.
Truly the only dog cone you’ll need, your dog will be much happier during their recovery.
Scratch and bite resistant, it can withstand a dog’s daily activities.
Although your four-legged friend may have some initial hesitance with this SunGrow cone, they will quickly adapt to its soft material and the overall flexibility it provides. They will heal up fast without having to sacrifice their peripheral vision or comfort.
- Minimal discomfort and higher quality of life: Dogs are often limited by a protective collar, but with this dog cone, eating and drinking, navigating obstacles and sleeping are still quite comfortable. Your pet will be able to sit in their favorite position and do many of the things they could before their injury.
- Adjustable fit: Great for various sized canine necks, you can find the perfect fit of this dog cone with Velcro tabs. Three very long Velcro straps fasten the recover cone together, keeping it snug, yet allowing for a large range of modifications.
- Keeps incisions more sanitary: Unlike a traditional plastic dog cone e collar, the area close to the face of your pet won’t build up with humidity, keeping any incision sites in this specific area drier and more hygienic. That means less cleaning and monitoring for pet parents.
- Easy to keep clean: Keeping this clean is much easier because the material is resistant to bacteria, odor and water; not even the messiest dog can ruin it as fast as other cones. Machine washable, when it is time to clean it, just throw it in the washer.
- Multiple ways to wear it: Quite versatile, it functions in two ways. You can use this dog cone after surgery as a lampshade-style collar or reverse it and use it as a neck brace when your pooch is in need of shoulder or upper back support.
- Durable: Scratch and bite resistant, it can withstand a dog’s daily activities. Rugged and cozy, it can be worn for extended periods and won’t crack or break like plastic. You won’t need to buy a dog cone for a long time after this one.
Cushioned collar construction and a versatile, simple design that is easy to use make the SunGrow Cute Comfy Recovery Dog Cone an ideal alternative to hard plastic cones. Though it provides a wide range of motion, it has some drawbacks to be aware of.
- Could have more structure: There’s nothing to really keep this cotton-filled cone from flipping backwards or collapsing and it often does just that. When it does flip back, dogs can scratch and bite their incision sites.
- May not be enough coverage: To be effective, a cone should cover your dog’s muzzle plus an inch or two, otherwise it is only beneficial for ear and head injuries. It won’t stop a front paw or spay/neuter wound from being accessed.
- Dogs can finagle their way out of it: Smaller dogs may trip over it and once they figure out that stepping on it releases the Velcro, game over. The dog cone fit is very important when buying this one, and even then the fasteners can be undone with a little wiggling and tugging.
|Price||Check Price||Check Price||Check Price|
|brand||SunGrow||Calm Paws||All Four Paws|
|type||Fabric cone||Fabric cone||Fabric cone|
|neck size||7.5 to 14 in||6 to 17 in||4.5 to 14.5 in|
|color||Black / Pink||Blue, black||Black / Tan|
Designed to allow dogs to have as normal a life as possible while their wounds heal, the cushiony collar allows pets to sleep, eat and play more comfortably.
Dogs don’t have to suffer through the discomfort and reduced movement of a regular e collar anymore with the SunGrow Cute Comfy Recovery Dog Cone. It is soft and plush, doesn’t agitate the area around the neck and doesn’t hinder a dog’s activities.
Designed to allow dogs to have as normal a life as possible while their wounds heal, the cushiony collar allows pets to sleep, eat and play more comfortably. It can be worn two ways and is very easy to wash. The collar is secured by Velcro straps and comes in a range of sizes.
This is a dog cone that can’t be chewed or ripped up and is super comfortable. You will enjoy seeing your pup recovering with more ease and comfort.
It can be hard to care for a dog after they’ve had any type of surgery, but having your own dog cone can go a long way.
Soft, comfortable cones make recovery much easier and less stressful for everyone.
Whether you’re looking for a protective collar after a neuter procedure or you want to keep one on hand in case your dog gets a “hot spot”, it’s a good idea to find something that is versatile.
Many dog owners like to have their own cone on hand because it’s much easier and it’s something that their dog can get used to.
Soft cones are uniquely helpful and allow your dog to get around more easily while they’re recovering from their injuries.
This Expawlorer cone is made from Oxford cloth, which is water resistant, durable, and easily washable.
The Expawlorer Elizabethan Recovery Dog Cone is an alternative to the traditional, plastic e collar dog cone that you can get from your vet. This high-quality fabric cone is made for modern dogs and their pet owners.
Designed for multiple uses, this dog cone can be used to help prevent dogs from pulling open surgical sutures, licking wounds, or itching hot spots on their skin. Its large size makes it nearly impossible for dogs to be able to lick or scratch where they shouldn’t.
This Expawlorer cone is made from Oxford cloth, which is water resistant, durable, and easily washable. This versatile fabric is comfortable for dogs to wear for extended periods of time, even when they go into their crate at the end of the day.
|neck size||16.5 to 23.5 in|
The cone has also been designed to connect to any collar; all that the owner needs to do is take the built-in loops and loop them around the dog’s collar. It keeps the cone in place so you don’t need to be concerned about it falling off while you’re not looking.
Available in 4 sizes – x-small, small, medium, and x-large – this collar also has an easy-to-use, adjustable Velcro closure so that you can adjust the cone to fit your dog’s neck and head with no problems.
This recovery dog cone has been designed with your dog’s comfort in mind, while also helping you to keep them safe during the recovery process. This long-lasting product will be your best option for any of your pets that may be in need of a recovery cone.
The connector is easily adjustable. All you need to do is put it on, tighten it as much as necessary, and you’ll be ready for your dog to use it.
Expawlorer may be new to the dog cone market, but if this product is an example, they’re bound to be successful. Here are some of the top things about this product and how it works for your dog’s needs.
- Large cone prevents all access to injuries: The width of the cone provides a lot of coverage; 11.8″ for the extra large down to 4.3″ for the extra small, which makes it a great dog cone to stop licking wounds. There are no access points to be spoken of and, because of that, your dog won’t be able to reach any of their injuries.
- Ability to connect cone to collar: This cone comes with loops on the inside which you’re able to attach to your dog’s collar with ease. This provides an extra level of stability and security and, on top of that, you don’t have to worry about it coming off.
- Material is water resistant and easy to clean: The exterior dog cone fabric is water resistant, so even if you go out in the rain, your dog isn’t going to be left with a sopping wet cone. And, you can either put it in the washer or wipe it down when necessary.
- Has some “give” if your dog runs into something: Many plastic cones will just cause your dog to stop where they are if they run into something. This cone has a little bit of give, which makes it safer for them and for you.
- Easy to adjust: The connector is easily adjustable. All you need to do is put it on, tighten it as much as necessary, and you’ll be ready for your dog to use it. It’s a really simple process and it helps the cone to fit pretty much any dog.
- Reflective strips increase visibility: Most dog cone options aren’t very visible, unless the material color is bright enough to do so. If you’re taking your dog for a walk while they’re wearing this cone, the reflective strips on the sides will help them to be more visible to passersby.
Expawlorer has made a lot of great design choices for this dog cone, but not all of them are “spot on” so to speak. There are a couple of design shortfalls that may be problematic for some dogs and their owners.
- Large and awkward for some dogs: Its large size is great when it comes to preventing them from getting to their injuries, but it’s not a great dog cone for eating. They will have a hard time reaching their bowl, so it may be best to take it off when they’re hungry or thirsty.
- Peripheral vision is inhibited: The material is black and not transparent. That along with its size can impact your dog’s movement. When using this cone, your dog will need to turn their head from side to side in order to actually see what is going on next to them.
- Velcro attachments tend to stick to fur: Velcro is a really secure option when you’re looking at fastening, but it’s not so good when it’s next to your dog’s fur. Sometimes, your dog’s fur will get caught in the Velcro, making it painful when you go to take the cone off.
|Price||Check Price||Check Price||Check Price|
|brand||Expawlorer||Calm Paws||All Four Paws|
|type||Fabric cone||Fabric cone||Fabric cone|
|neck size||16.5 to 23.5 in||6 to 17 in||4.5 to 14.5 in|
|color||Black||Blue, black||Black / Tan|
It allows your dog to have more flexibility and it makes their activities of daily living simpler, as well.
The Expawlorer Elizabethan Recovery Dog Cone is a solid alternative to the traditional plastic cones of the past. It allows your dog to have more flexibility and it makes their activities of daily living simpler, as well.
While its large size could result in some problems with your dog’s peripheral vision and getting around, many dogs get used to wearing it, which reduces many of these issues as time goes on.
Overall, this dog cone is an attractive, long-lasting option that helps your dog to be as comfortable as they can be, even if they’re having difficulty when it comes to recovery after an injury or other health issue.
When you’re looking to purchase any sort of dog cone for use related to injuries, you want to keep things simple.
For some dogs, a dog cone donut works just as well as any other design would.
If you’re a pet owner, you want to be certain that your dog is always going to have the best products possible.
Their dog cone should be no exception to that rule. In fact, you want to find something that’s comfortable, durable, and easy to use.
Having one of these cones on hand reduces your stress and increases your dog’s comfort, even if they’re dealing with the pain and stress that comes after an injury.
The donut is designed to make wearing a cone easier on the dog.
The Kong Cloud E-Collar Alternative Dog Cone is a donut-style, inflatable dog cone designed for dogs that may need to have restricted access to wounds or sutures.
It comes in 5 sizes, starting at extra small (which is for necks that are 6″ in diameter and below) and going all of the way up to extra large (which is meant for necks that are 18″ in diameter or greater).
The donut is designed to make wearing a cone easier on the dog. It gives them a greater range of vision and prevents the property damage or additional injuries (to the dog or their human family) that hard plastic cones cause because of its smaller size and softer material.
|neck size||6.5 to 17.5 in|
|material||Cotton / PVC|
The exterior material is a soft yet durable, washable fabric that is in a calming blue hue. The interior material is high-grade PVC plastic, which is designed to inflate quickly and to be resistant to puncturing or other damage.
Held together with a strong hook and loop strap, dogs of all sizes can be comfortable. At the same time, pet owners can have peace of mind that their dog is going to keep the cone on throughout their recovery time.
This e-collar is a smart alternative to other types of cones that you have to choose from, and it was designed with the help of vets and other dog professionals. On top of that, the Kong brand means that it’s a well-made product that will last a long time.
The outside cover of the donut is easy to take off and throw into the washer; you just need to be sure that you hang it out to dry.
If you know anything about Kong, you know that their products are designed for dogs that have very active lifestyles. This donut cone has a lot of great features that pet parents should know about before purchasing.
- Comfortable for dogs to wear: Too many dog cone options make dogs really uncomfortable while they’re recovering from surgery or injuries. But, this donut-style cone is soft and cozy, which can help your dog to relax while recovering.
- Made from highly durable material: This inflatable collar is made from high-end materials. The fabric is heavy-duty cotton, and the interior material is thick PVC film. Both are incredibly hard to chew or penetrate.
- Allows your dog to continue daily activities unhindered: We’ve all seen a dog wearing a dog cone try to drink water, and it can get really difficult. Since this e-collar doesn’t obstruct their peripheral vision or their snout, it’s a lot easier for them to eat, drink, and enjoy other daily activities.
- Easy to keep clean: The outside cover of the donut is easy to take off and throw into the washer; you just need to be sure that you hang it out to dry. You can also wipe it down with a wet cloth to get the majority of extra food and such off of it.
- Dog won’t run into anything: One of the biggest problems with dog cone use is that it’s common for your dog to run the cone into a wall, a table leg, or pretty much anything. Since you don’t have a large, awkward cone and they have their full range of vision, they won’t run into everything constantly.
- Backed by the Kong name: Kong is a name in dog products that everyone trusts. This donut is just another example of the company’s commitment to pets and their owners, and it’s backed by the Kong Satisfaction Guarantee.
While this is an excellently made product with a lot of great features, there are a few things that you want to be certain that you’re aware of before you go out and buy this Kong e-collar for your pup.
- Does not restrict access to paws: While this cone is perfect for things like dog eye protection after surgery, it’s not good if you’re trying to prevent them from licking or messing with their front paws. The cone restricts their movement enough to protect the back paws, but the front paws are easy to get to.
- Not great for dogs with lean necks: Since you don’t have a lot of flexibility in regards to adjusting it to the right size, you need to be aware of dogs with lean necks or that don’t have a lot of fur. You may need to put a regular collar underneath so that it stays secure or doesn’t move around when your dog does.
- Some dogs can figure out how to get it off: If you have a dog that does everything possible to get a dog cone off, then you don’t want to use this dog cone unsupervised. Dogs may be able to figure out how to move it around, take it off, and then chew it up before you even realize something’s wrong.
|Price||Check Price||Check Price||Check Price|
|brand||Kong Cloud||Calm Paws||All Four Paws|
|type||Donut cone||Fabric cone||Fabric cone|
|neck size||6.5 to 17.5 in||6 to 17 in||4.5 to 14.5 in|
|color||Blue||Blue, black||Black / Tan|
|material||Cotton / PVC||Nylon||Nylon|
If you’re trying to take care of a problem with your dog’s front paws, however, this Kong collar is not exactly your best choice.
The Kong Cloud E-Collar Alternative Dog Cone is a well-built donut cone that can help to prevent your dog from getting access to most of the parts of their body where they may have injuries or incisions.
If you’re trying to take care of a problem with your dog’s front paws, however, this Kong collar is not exactly your best choice. Also, there are some dogs that, when persistent, may be able to get it off. If worn while supervised, however, many dogs do just fine with it.
This Kong donut-style dog cone looks good, works well, and keeps your dog as comfortable as possible during what is likely an uncomfortable time in their life.
Best Dog Cone Buying Guide
Diameter / Size of the Cone
As you explore your options for dog cone sizes, you’ll notice that they often have multiple guides that give you recommendations based on the diameter of the cone.
Measure your dog’s head in terms of length. Then, take a measurement of their head’s diameter at the widest point. Also be sure to measure their neck. These three measurements can be compared to those charts to choose the appropriate size.
Customizing the Fit
Being able to fine-tune the fit of the dog’s cone is also essential. Whether you want to be able to use the same cone for all of your dogs or your dog gets bigger or smaller throughout their life, it’s important to have a way to adjust things.
Most e-collars are going to have some sort of system that allows you to tighten and loosen the collar as necessary. Velcro, adjustable buckles, and other forms of fasteners can frequently be changed around.
Can My Dog Still Exercise?
Weight and maneuverability can be quite a big deal when you’re buying a cone. Too heavy and your dog may have trouble moving around and exercising as much as usual. Too large of a diameter and you run the risk of them running into doors, getting stuck in the car, and having other problems.
While it may be a little difficult for them to get in and out of their dog car seat while they have the cone on, you want the majority of their normal daily activities to be impeded as little as possible.
Protecting the Surgical Area / Injury
Surgery and injuries are annoying enough, and your dog just doesn’t understand that they need to leave it alone. So, the primary function of the cone is to protect the vulnerable area by inhibiting the dog’s access to it.
For example, if you want the best dog cone for eye surgery, you want to have something with a large protective area. This will prevent them from trying to scratch their eye or rub it against things.
Blow-Up Donut Cones
The inflatable dog cone has been gaining in popularity lately. They’re a lot smaller than the typical lamp-shade shaped “cone of shame” and they make it much easier for your dog to get around during recovery.
These are, essentially, little donuts like what your kids would use in the pool. But, they’re much more durable and they fit around your dog’s neck with ease. All you need is a basketball pump or air mattress pump and you’ll be able to fill it in just a few seconds.
The stereotypical plastic cone is available for sale, and it’s the cheapest of the three options. But, they are often unwieldy and your dog is fairly certain to dislike wearing it for any period of time.
Some of the more modern plastic cones have more flexible plastic, so if your dog happens to run into something, they aren’t going to be met with a lot of resistance.
Foam and Cloth
A foam and cloth dog cone neck pillow is a very comfortable option, especially if your dog is going to need to wear the collar overnight for a couple of days.
Foam is on the inside of the collar while the outside has some sort of cotton or polyester blend that is cozy. And, as you may expect, it makes the perfect pillow while also preventing your dog from causing additional damage to their injury or surgical area.
Is It Easy to Put On?
The last thing that you want to do is fight with your dog as you struggle to put on their dog cone collar. So, you want to find something that is not going to take a lot of effort (and arguing) to put on them.
Typically, you want something that slides on or that only has a fastener or two to deal with. That way, you can sit your dog down, get the cone on, and be ready to go in just a few minutes.
Dogs don’t like things around their necks, and some dogs will do everything in their power to try and get it off of them. They may also try to chew on what they’re able to reach.
Since cones are made with active dogs in mind, the majority of them are made with nylon, plastic, or other hardy materials that will be able to stand up against your dog’s use and abuse, no matter how long they have to keep the cone on.
Fasteners and Fur
Long-haired dogs may have issues with some of the different fasteners that you may find. A dog cone with Velcro is an especially tricky target, because the Velcro can get stuck in their fur if it doesn’t stay on tightly enough.
Buckles and slip-on collars typically have fewer problems, but you still want to be careful and double check that none of their fur has gotten caught in the fastener.
As you think about your dog cone options, you want to be sure that you can clean it up. Food, slobber, dirt, and other grime could end up inside of the cone just because your dog is being a dog.
Many of the cloth options allow you to take off the outer cover and toss it in the laundry. Plastic cones and inflatable cones are designed in a manner that makes it simple for you to rinse them or wipe them off with a sponge or washcloth.
Design and Color
Some of us love to dress up our furry friends, and why should they be any less fashionable when they’re wearing a cone? They can be a fun way to dress up your dog while they’re recovering.
Cones come in all colors and designs. You can get some really cute options with dog bones, little dogs, bows, or whatever else that you would like. Bright colors, subtle colors, or plain colors – you can find them all and choose the one that matches your dog’s personality.
Can Your Dog See?
When your pet is using a dog cone for surgery recovery, you want to be sure that they can see as much as possible. The inflatable donuts and some of the cloth and foam options are cut far enough back that they don’t obstruct much of your dog’s vision at all.
Some of the newer collars even have little windows or mesh along the side so that they have better peripheral vision while they’re running around.
Will it Get Stuck?
You may notice some differences between your dog’s typical behavior and their dog cone behavior. And one of those things is that your dog may find themselves getting into uncomfortable situations or getting stuck where they usually would be able to get through with ease.
You don’t want something with loose straps, extra fabric or plastic, or that is simply too large for your dog to get around your home while wearing.
It can be frustrating to continually try to catch your dog and put their e-collar back on after they’ve escaped from it. Because of that, you want to be sure that everything is snug and that you don’t need to worry about the possibility of your furry friend going around without their cone.
As you may expect, the best dog cone is going to stay as secure as possible so you won’t need to worry about your dog tearing it off or wiggling it off without your help.
Frequently Asked Questions
What does the term “e-collar” mean?
Sometimes, you’ll see a cone referred to as an “e collar”. E collar is short for “Elizabethan Collar”, and you can probably guess why. The large collars look similar to what men and women wore around their necks while Elizabeth the First was queen. She loved them and made them fashionable.
Whether you call it a dog cone or e collar, they serve the same purpose, and you will get a number of hits on search engines for either term.
What if my dog doesn’t like the cone?
There are, thankfully, a lot of options that you can look at if you have a dog that just won’t deal with the cone. A dog recovery suit or dog anxiety jacket can be utilized in order to cover the wound (if it’s on their torso). For their feet, you can cover them with dog boots.
In some instances, you can’t get them to leave things alone. So, you may need to use a dog muzzle or some other option that inhibits them from accessing their wounds and licking or biting them. If that still doesn’t work, chat with your vet to get recommendations.
Why should I have my own cone?
Having your own dog cone is a good idea, especially if you have multiple dogs. It means that you always have one on hand, and that your dog will be used to it when it comes time for them to wear it.
You can also ensure that the cone is going to be compatible with their collar, their dog harness, and anything else that they may need to wear when they’re using the cone.
Are there times when a traditional plastic wide cone is better than more comfortable options?
When you explore dog cone designs, you will notice that some of them work better than others in particular situations.
Traditional plastic cones are best when your dog has a sore or surgery on a particular area of their face or feet. The sheer size and awkwardness of the plastic cone will make it next to impossible for your dog to reach those areas with their mouth.
What will my dog need help with while wearing its cone?
It can be hard for your dog to do his or her daily activities while they’re in a dog cone. Eating and drinking can prove to be a challenge, especially if you have a dog water fountain with a narrow drinking area.
Either take the cone off at those times, or make accommodations to make the process easier. You’ll also want to brush them a little more often, because they will have some difficulty grooming certain parts of their body.
- Post-Surgery Instructions, Seattle Animal Shelter,
- WSU Veterinary Teaching Hospital FAQs, Washington State University
- Elizabethan collar, Wikipedia
- 9 Tips To Help Your Dog Adjust To Wearing An E-Collar, Petplan, Jan 8, 2019
- Cone of Shame Alternatives, petMD
- Dog Recovery Cones & E-Collars: Collars for Recovery, Petco
- Dog Recovery Cones, Collars & Apparel, Chewy
- Cone Dog Collars, eBay
- E-Collar Alternatives: 5 Pet-Friendly Substitutions For The Cone Of Shame, Huffpost, Sep 14, 2013
- Keep The Cone On!, North Town Veterinary Hospital, Jan 11, 2017