After 45 hours spent researching the best upright vacuums, we think Bissell 1650A Pet Hair Bagless Upright Vacuum is the best for most people.
This choice is based on several criteria: type, suction, noise level, range (cord + hose), color, container size, dimensions, filter, modes, path width, bagless, motorized brush, accessories, weight, and warranty, among other things.
|Product||Price||Overall Rating||Quality||Ease of Use||Maneuverability||Maintenance||Value for Money||type||suction||noise level||range (cord + hose)||color||container size||dimensions||filter||modes||path width||bagless||motorized brush||accessories||weight||warranty|
|Bissell 1650A Pet Hair Bagless Upright Vacuum||Check Price||4.3||4.5||4.0||4.0||4.5||4.5||Upright||1200W||74dB||38 ft||Green||0.4 gallons (1.5 liters)||13.5 x 12.4 x 46.8 in||HEPA filter||5||12 in||Yes||Yes||Yes||18 lbs||1 year|
|Dyson Ball Multi Floor 2 Upright Vacuum||Check Price||4.6||5.0||4.5||4.5||4.0||5.0||Upright||250AW||69dB||40 ft||Yellow||0.5 gallons (1.9 liters)||41.93 x 15.59 x 13.39 in||HEPA filter||2||12.5 in||Yes||Yes||Yes||15.6 lbs||5 years|
|Shark NV356E Navigator Professional Upright Vacuum||Check Price||4.7||4.5||5.0||4.5||4.5||5.0||Upright||1200W||76dB||35 ft||White||0.64 gallons (2.4 liters)||15 x 11.4 x 45.5 in||HEPA filter||2||9.5 in||Yes||Yes||Yes||13.7 lbs||5 years|
|Shark NV42 Navigator Deluxe Upright Vacuum||Check Price||4.4||4.5||4.0||4.0||4.5||5.0||Upright||1200W||74dB||35 ft||Champagne||0.29 gallons (1.1 liters)||11.4 x 11.8 x 45.5 in||HEPA filter||2||11 in||Yes||Yes||Yes||15 lbs||5 years|
|Bissell 9595A CleanView Bagless Upright Vacuum||Check Price||4.5||5.0||4.0||4.0||5.0||4.5||Upright||800W||86dB||31 ft||Black / purple||0.53 gallons (2 liters)||12.5 x 13.5 x 44 in||Washable foam||5||13.5 in||Yes||Yes||No||15.1 lbs||2 years|
- 1 Selection Of The Best Upright Vacuums
- 2 Best Upright Vacuum Buying Guide
- 2.1 Ease of use is number 1
- 2.2 What is the total weight?
- 2.3 Bagless or bagged
- 2.4 Suction power and modes
- 2.5 Filters and allergen protection
- 2.6 Hose and accessories
- 2.7 Are you bothered by noise?
- 2.8 Dirt capacity
- 2.9 Motorized brushes and your floors
- 2.10 Dimensions for storage and use
- 2.11 Cord length
- 2.12 Does color matter?
- 2.13 Maneuverability does matter
- 2.14 A light at the front
- 2.15 How long is the warranty?
- 3 Frequently Asked Questions
- 4 Sources
Does the best upright vacuum really exist? Is there one that’s so much better than the others?
Even though you can find the best rated vacuum cleaner, is it the best for you? You must compare what you want with the features available.
When it’s time for a new vacuum cleaner you want the very best vacuum available. There are many features available. Do you want the best bagged vacuum cleaner or a bagless upright vacuum cleaner and what is the difference between them? But more importantly does it matter to you?
Thankfully, when it comes to upright vacuums no buzzwords are needed. Uprights are the oldest and most well-known of all the cleaning appliances on the market now. While a cordless or corded stick vacuum is convenient, neither will do a thorough job on rugs. The best vacuum cleaner for wall to wall carpet or area rugs is an upright.
To choose the vacuum that will work best for you, the first thing to do is consider who will use it. If you are an older person or have back issues, you will be concerned about the weight.
No matter who you are, if you have stairs you will want to consider how the vacuum will be able to deal with them. A heavy vacuum with no accessories makes stairs a much harder job.
Selection Of The Best Upright Vacuums
Here are the best upright vacuums for most people according to Outlinist:
The best bagless vacuum for pet hair will be powerful enough to suction in all the hair around your home – not just some of it.
The best pet vacuum will also be intuitive, effortless, and take care of key issues like dander and smells.
Many people do not know how to choose a vacuum cleaner. They assume it is as cut and dry as grabbing one off the shelf.
Smart pet owners, however, know this is far from the case, because not every vacuum is created equally.
Before making a purchase decision, check out this Bissell upright vacuum that’s specifically designed to deal with pet hair.
The 30-foot power cord allows you to go a fair distance without needing to unplug.
People love their pets and treat them like part of the family. Whether a dog person or a cat person, however, there is one thing pet owners don’t love; all that hair, dander, and smell that comes with their lovable companion. The answer? Find the best vacuum for pet dander.
While pet dander can cause sneezing, itchy eyes, and other issues, especially in those prone to pet allergies, it isn’t the only problem that comes with pets. In fact, the main thing pet owners need is the best vacuum for hair – lots, and lots of hair.
All pets shed, just like people. Yet unlike people, pets can’t trim their own hair or brush it out, so it just falls all over the place instead. This includes furniture, floors, clothing, etc.
|range (cord + hose)||38 ft|
|container size||0.4 gallons (1.5 liters)|
|dimensions||13.5 x 12.4 x 46.8 in|
|path width||12 in|
The good news is that the Bissell 1650A Pet Hair Bagless Upright Vacuum fits the bill. Its patented design ensures it is powerful enough to pick up all pet hair, on a variety of home surfaces, and it has a unique feature which alleviates much of the pet dander – not just on furniture, but also in the air.
This vacuum also comes with several attachments that are very convenient when cleaning the house. They include a quick release wand, LED lighted crevice tool for those hard to reach places (like under the furniture), pet TurboEraser tool, and a 2-in-1 pet brush.
The 30-foot power cord allows you to go a fair distance without needing to unplug. Most users agree that it is long enough to stay plugged in for one large room or two small rooms before having to switch outlets.
This machine doesn’t just handle carpets, but other surfaces also. It can transfer from carpet or rugs to hardwood floors without any assistance from the user.
In addition to the many different attachments and the long power cord, there are several other key features which make this Bissell 1650A vacuum an excellent choice for pet owners. Continue reading below to find out what those are.
- Innovative brush design limits tangles: The worst thing about traditional vacuums is the way hair needs to constantly be removed from around the brush, otherwise it gets clogged and stops working. This machine, however, features a patented design that effectively stops or reduces any hair wrapping around the brush.
- Very easy to empty: This vacuum employs a special spooling design called the Cyclonic Pet Hair Spooling System, which ensures hair doesn’t get trapped up inside when you try to empty it. Instead, just push a button and the vacuum easily empties into a garbage bag.
- SmartSeal Allergen System: The 1650A is designed to effectively trap allergens from carpets or upholstery inside the vacuum, so they aren’t released back into the air where they can cause irritation. Those with mild to moderate pet allergies will especially benefit from this feature.
- Ability to clean multiple surfaces: This machine doesn’t just handle carpets, but other surfaces also. It can transfer from carpet or rugs to hardwood floors without any assistance from the user. By utilizing one of the attachments it can also clean upholstery, curtains, and more.
- Swivel steering gets into tight corners: The head of this upright vacuum is designed to swivel at an extreme angle, which means it can clean tight corners or other awkward spaces without the hassle of having to switch to an attachment to get a fully clean home.
- Febreze pet odor eliminator: This feature is built-in and provides a fresh scent while vacuuming which helps to get rid of pet odors that can linger. As much as any owner loves their dog, nobody can deny the need to purge their home of that wet dog smell.
Although this vacuum is a wonderful choice for most pet owners, there are (of course) a few associated downsides to the purchase which may make it an unsuitable choice for select people. Continue reading below to find out what those cons are.
- There is no cord recoil: For the average person, this is just a mild inconvenience that doesn’t tend to be a deal breaker. If, however, a potential purchaser has issues bending or maneuvering, this may not be an appropriate choice, and people may choose to purchase a vacuum with a cord recoil feature.
- The knob is in an inconvenient location: The little knob which needs to be turned when switching from the floor piece to the hose (for attachments) is located on the floor piece. It is not a step-button but must be physically turned.
- The vacuum is heavier than similar models: At 18 pounds, this may not be a big issue for most, but those with multiple-storied homes may find the vacuum too heavy for carrying up or down the stairs.
|Price||Check Price||Check Price||Check Price|
|range (cord + hose)||38 ft||40 ft||35 ft|
|container size||0.4 gallons (1.5 liters)||0.5 gallons (1.9 liters)||0.64 gallons (2.4 liters)|
|dimensions||13.5 x 12.4 x 46.8 in||41.93 x 15.59 x 13.39 in||15 x 11.4 x 45.5 in|
|filter||HEPA filter||HEPA filter||HEPA filter|
|path width||12 in||12.5 in||9.5 in|
|weight||18 lbs||15.6 lbs||13.7 lbs|
|warranty||1 year||5 years||5 years|
Overall, this is a wonderful upright vacuum that comes highly recommended for all pet owners.
While people may love their pets, there are things which come with their furry companions which are not so pleasant – like excessive hair shedding, dander, and those distinctly unpleasant smells. It isn’t their fault, but it happens.
Therefore, a great vacuum cleaner which is especially designed for pet owners is vital to a clean, livable home. Thankfully, the Bissell 1650A Pet Hair Bagless Upright Vacuum Cleaner can handle all the above-mentioned issues in one great machine.
Overall, this is a wonderful upright vacuum that comes highly recommended for all pet owners. It is especially useful for those with more than one pet, pets who are allowed on the furniture, or anyone who would like to get a more complete cleaning experience.
A Dyson vacuum is one that comes backed by a brand which is well-known for delivering high quality products.
When looking for the best vacuum, many consumers choose to purchase a Dyson for reassurance that they are getting quality.
Vacuum cleaner reviews agree that the best bagless vacuum has several key features.
Consumers need an upright vacuum which is powerful, doesn’t easily tangle, and requires no effort to empty.
The best lightweight vacuum cleaners will also be able to get into small spaces and tight corners with ease.
Dyson vacuums are well known to be reliable machines capable of handling tough messes like pet (or human) hair, dander, dirt, small crumbs, and other comparable items.
When searching for a vacuum, the savvy homeowner knows that not all are created equally. Some do not possess the suction power necessary to deal with issues like pet hair, while others are just too bulky to be conveniently pushed or moved about the home. Finding one that’s a happy medium can be trying.
Dyson vacuums are well known to be reliable machines capable of handling tough messes like pet (or human) hair, dander, dirt, small crumbs, and other comparable items. Dysons are often the best rated vacuum cleaners and they continue to be a leader in the market.
This model is one of the best vacuums for hardwood floors, as it effortless and intuitively alters from carpet to hardwood. There is no manual switching necessary between. This is incredibly convenient, especially for those who have a tough time bending down or standing up.
|range (cord + hose)||40 ft|
|container size||0.5 gallons (1.9 liters)|
|dimensions||41.93 x 15.59 x 13.39 in|
|path width||12.5 in|
The Dyson Ball Multi-Floor 2 Upright Vacuum is equipped with an instant release wand which helps to reach high places and tight corners. There is also an included stair tool which makes cleaning the stairs effortless and since it’s lightweight, people with dual story homes will have no problem carrying it.
The patented ball design allows for sharp turns and unrivaled mobility in reaching tight corners, small nooks, or alcoves. This decreases vacuuming time and ensures a thorough cleaning.
There is a five-year warranty on both parts and labor, which offers considerable reassurance in the event something breaks or goes wrong after purchasing their vacuum. This is a generous warranty versus other vacuums, which typically come with one to three-year coverage.
The machine simply senses it has been transferred to a different floor type and automatically adjusts itself accordingly.
For starters, Dyson has few rivals when it comes to designing a vacuum that actually looks good and delivers superior performance. In addition to the instant release wand and included stair tool, there are many other great features which make this vacuum from Dyson a smart investment.
- Lightweight design for effortless maneuvering: The vacuum is not only lightweight enough to easily be pushed around the home while it’s being used, but also to be transported up or down stairs without much effort. This makes it perfect for multi-level dwellings or large homes.
- Patented ball design makes steering simple: This Dyson is capable of taking tight corners and getting right against walls without having to use a hand attachment. The swivel design can get under furniture, in alcoves, and small books around the home.
- Intuitive multi-floor adjustment: Stopping to change an adjustment setting can be a pain, but this vacuum requires no manual switching. Going between carpeting, rugs, and hard floors is simple and intuitive. The machine simply senses it has been transferred to a different floor type and automatically adjusts itself accordingly.
- Traps all the dust: Dyson’s Radical Root Cyclone Cleaner ensures that dust and dander are not simply spit back out into the air while you clean. Instead, it traps the dust safely inside where it can’t cause indoor air pollution which could trigger asthma or allergy attacks.
- Very easy emptying: To empty the vacuum once you are done, simply press a button. A bottom trap is released, and all the dirt and debris will come spilling out into your trash can. This is very hygienic, as it does not require your hands to get dirty.
- Very breathing friendly: This Dyson vacuum has a HEPA filter and is certified by the Asthma and Allergy Foundation as meeting strict guidelines for being “breathing friendly”. Since nothing is spit back out, and everything is sucked up, it is suitable for those who have respiratory problems to use.
No product is perfect, and the key to finding your perfect vacuum is knowing what downsides you are willing to deal with when compared to the positives. Here are a few drawbacks to this Dyson upright.
- The hose is small: Due to the thin size of the hose, many items get stuck in it. This can be a hassle if you plan to use the hose often, although many individuals report rarely using this attachment. If this is the case, it might not be a deal breaker.
- Does not work well for plush carpeting: While it works well on most floor types, this Dyson does not suction properly when used on thickly piled carpets. The sensors become confused and shut the vacuum off, which is annoying.
- Creates a lot of noise: When compared to similar models, this vacuum is very noisy while running. While all vacuums make noise and some people think that more noise means more power, it may not be a good option for some.
|Price||Check Price||Check Price||Check Price|
|range (cord + hose)||40 ft||38 ft||35 ft|
|container size||0.5 gallons (1.9 liters)||0.4 gallons (1.5 liters)||0.64 gallons (2.4 liters)|
|dimensions||41.93 x 15.59 x 13.39 in||13.5 x 12.4 x 46.8 in||15 x 11.4 x 45.5 in|
|filter||HEPA filter||HEPA filter||HEPA filter|
|path width||12.5 in||12 in||9.5 in|
|weight||15.6 lbs||18 lbs||13.7 lbs|
|warranty||5 years||1 year||5 years|
The Dyson Ball Multi-Floor 2 Upright Vacuum is a solid machine with many great features.
When purchasing a vacuum, you want one powerful enough to get up all the messes your pets or family leave behind without being so bulky it is nearly impossible to move around. Thankfully, this Dyson upright vacuum model fits the bill.
The Dyson Ball Multi-Floor 2 Upright Vacuum is a solid machine with many great features. Among those, the best are the exceptional maneuverability due to its easy swiveling engineering, stair attachment tool, and the ability to go between flooring types without manually adjusting. The extended warranty is also well liked by all owners.
Overall, this upright vacuum is a great model for anyone seeking a good vacuum cleaner. It is particularly good for those with multiple flooring types in their home, multi-level homes, or anyone living with allergy or asthma sufferers.
At the higher end of the home vacuum cleaner market, this big-boy vacuum is tough on dirt.
Sometimes the name says it all and when the maker adds the word professional you should expect a lot from the vacuum cleaner.
This Shark upright vacuum is aimed at bigger spaces and heavier cleaning. Think of the house with a lot of kids or pets.
In this higher end category vacuums will be heavier, as expected, and will also have a wider reach necessary to move about a bigger space.
The question for most purchasers is, does it deliver value for money?
This is a vacuum with a big reach. It has a large capacity and can move easily from carpet to other floor types.
The Shark NV356E Navigator Professional Upright Vacuum is at the high- end of Shark’s product line. Although not quite the highest, it is up there as the best Shark vacuum for hardwood floors and carpet.
Shark is known as one of the best vacuum cleaner brands and they have designed a vacuum which is for heavy cleaning and large spaces. The dust cup carries 2.2 dry quarts of matter which is very generous and is equipped with a HEPA filter.
This best bagless vacuum cleaner is silver and white with swivel steering to make for easy maneuverability. It also has a 30-foot power cord which gives it a very large cleaning radius.
|range (cord + hose)||35 ft|
|container size||0.64 gallons (2.4 liters)|
|dimensions||15 x 11.4 x 45.5 in|
|path width||9.5 in|
The vacuum moves easily from carpet to hardwood floors and even comes with a gentle brush to help protect the floor finish. Switching between the two is quick and easy.
At 13.7 pounds, this Shark vacuum is at the low end of the weight scale (other Sharks in the series weigh in at +20 lbs.), so the NV356E is still quite lightweight for its performance level.
This is a vacuum with a big reach. It has a large capacity and can move easily from carpet to other floor types. The cleaning pad width is 9.5 inches which gives a broad head. The vacuum is designed for larger houses. It would work well in households with lots of children or pets where keeping on top of things is essential.
With a vacuum of this capacity and power it is important that the reach is far enough that you don’t have to spend time moving the power cord around.
There are so many choices of best vacuum cleaners that sometimes it is hard to choose. Suction capacity, value for the money, weight, manufacturer’s reputation all play into the decision. Some of this Shark Navigator’s high spots might help make your choice.
- Handy lift away function for harder to reach places: The NV356E comes with a Lift Away canister function which makes it easier to clean in the hard to reach places. It also reduces the weight of the unit to 8lbs which is almost equivalent to some hand-held vacuums, even cordless ones.
- Completely sealed HEPA filter function traps dust and allergens: For households with allergy and asthma sufferers, a HEPA filter is a must. This Shark has a filter that complies with HEPA (high-efficiency particulate absorber) standards and removes 99.9% of particles larger than .3 micrometers.
- Cleans easily and it is easy to clean: The clear design shows immediately when the cup needs to be emptied, but the parts are easily accessible for cleaning as well. Washing the filters is recommended and they are also easy to remove. The manufacturer provides cleaning guidelines and full instructions.
- Has Shark’s longest power cord of 30 feet: With a vacuum of this capacity and power it is important that the reach is far enough that you don’t have to spend time moving the power cord around. The 30-foot cord gives a reach big enough for largest homes.
- Change easily from carpet to bare floors: The brush-roll has an easy shut-off button which makes changing from one surface to another simple without stopping. The vacuum also comes with Shark’s trademarked Hard Floor Hero attachment which you use to pick up debris and fine particles off your bare floors.
- Pet hair, pet hair and even more pet hair is no problem: When pet hair is your problem, your vacuum must be able to handle it properly. The Shark NV356E comes with a special pet power brush that cleans up even the worst long-haired pet mess. There is a reason why it’s rated one of the best bagless vacuum cleaners for pet hair.
All products have their downsides, don’t they? Here are some of the not quite so positive aspects of the Shark NV356E. Perhaps these will not matter to you, but even so, you ought to know that there are one or two niggles.
- The weight distribution is to the middle of the cleaner: The vacuum’s center of gravity sits in the middle rather than the base, which is standard for most upright vacuums. On occasion this means that the cleaner can topple over, which could be a problem. It also makes it quite the arm workout too.
- Shark’s customer service doesn’t get rave reviews: The Shark customer service group received negative reviews for both how users could reach them, time spent contacting them, and then for the most of the fixes costing additional dollars. Although customer service complaints are common for most any product and should always be taken with a grain of salt, it’s worth being aware of.
- Noise might be a problem: If your top priority is to purchase the best quiet vacuum cleaner, reviews by some users suggest that you may need to look at a different machine. Some note that this Shark emits a high-pitched squeal. It was not a huge complaint, but it is worth checking out for yourself.
|Price||Check Price||Check Price||Check Price|
|range (cord + hose)||35 ft||38 ft||40 ft|
|container size||0.64 gallons (2.4 liters)||0.4 gallons (1.5 liters)||0.5 gallons (1.9 liters)|
|dimensions||15 x 11.4 x 45.5 in||13.5 x 12.4 x 46.8 in||41.93 x 15.59 x 13.39 in|
|filter||HEPA filter||HEPA filter||HEPA filter|
|path width||9.5 in||12 in||12.5 in|
|weight||13.7 lbs||18 lbs||15.6 lbs|
|warranty||5 years||1 year||5 years|
The vacuum comes with a wide range of accessories and there are additional accessories available for purchase separately.
At the high-end of the vacuum market, the Shark NV356E Navigator Professional Upright Vacuum provides the functionality and suction power of a top-of-the-range vacuum cleaner. Aimed at bigger houses and households it is an elegant cleaning machine.
The vacuum comes with a wide range of accessories and there are additional accessories available for purchase separately. With a five year limited warranty, the vacuum should be covered for most events during its life.
The HEPA standard filter makes it allergy and asthma friendly. Its ability to cope with pet hair and deliver to the cup rather than the brush is a strong point and the high capacity cup means you don’t spend your time cleaning the vacuum. Overall, this Shark upright vacuum is a wise choice for thorough cleaning.
Are you frustrated searching through all the “best vacuum cleaners” to find the right one?
When you’re looking for a vacuum, you don’t want to spend half your life looking at the endless information.
Trying to decide which is the best upright vacuum cleaner for carpets, hard floors or both can be almost impossible given the amount of information out there.
If you don’t have the time or inclination to wade through it all, take a look at this Shark upright vacuum.
Shark is a well-known name in vacuum cleaners, making reliable machines that can be relied on to get dirty jobs done.
Sharks are known for being particularly good at cleaning up pet hair, and the NV42 proves it is not a myth.
The Navigator series from Shark are powerful vacuums, and the Shark NV42 Navigator Deluxe Upright Vacuum is no exception. It has a large capacity and a relatively long cord (25 feet) so it can sit well at the lower end of the professional range on that basis.
Like many Sharks, the NV42 does well with hard floors and tiles as well as carpet. It is a cyclonic vacuum for those who care about terminology; for most it simply means good suction ability.
The machine’s color is champagne and clear to match its deluxe name. It has a compact design which does make it look elegant and attractive. The maker has gone to some trouble to design the vacuum to reflect its name.
|range (cord + hose)||35 ft|
|container size||0.29 gallons (1.1 liters)|
|dimensions||11.4 x 11.8 x 45.5 in|
|path width||11 in|
When you’re looking for the best upright vacuum cleaner, it needs to clean more than just floors and this vacuum has sufficient accessories to make cleaning up to 10 feet off the floor a breeze – more on these below. In terms of value for the money this really helps it deliver.
The vacuum weighs 15lbs which is not necessarily lightweight but even so it is not as heavy as some of the higher end upright vacuums (Shark has a 20lb vacuum available). Regardless of the weight, it is still easy to maneuver and its weight is well distributed.
Sharks are known for being particularly good at cleaning up pet hair, and the NV42 proves it is not a myth. In fact, with its special pet upholstery tool it makes many lists of the best vacuum cleaners for pet hair.
The pet hair accessory receives lots of kudos from users – it is easy to attach and removes pet hair, which ends up where it should be, in the dust receptacle.
Here’s a quick look at the best features of the Shark NV42. It has an impressive lineup which makes it stand out from other uprights as one of the best rated vacuums.
- Works well on any floor surface: One of the best multi surface vacuums, this machine moves from carpet to other flooring types seamlessly and without having to turn off the cleaner. The brush on/off button means that hardwood floors are not in danger of being scratched by the brushes carpets need.
- A wide range of accessories means it does much more: The vacuum comes with a 5.5″ crevice tool, 24″ crevice tool, dusting brush and pet hair power brush for upholstery, which means that it can cover most surfaces and cleaning types. The extra-long 10 foot hose also gives a long reach.
- Cyclonic technology helps when there’s a lot to clean: Essentially, the cyclonic action rapidly spins the air and directs it to the dirt collector. This technology, which Shark calls “Never Lose Suction”, means that you don’t lose suction even when the dirt cup is getting to the point where it is nearly full. The cup is easily emptied easily with a simple single button push over the trash can.
- Easy to use and maneuver vacuum without a swivel head: Most people look for swivel steering and even though this vacuum does not have it, it is still easy to move around furniture because of its relative low weight and wide width. You won’t feel the lack of swivel steering.
- Pet hair upholstery tool gets rave reviews: The pet hair accessory receives lots of kudos from users – it is easy to attach and removes pet hair, which ends up where it should be, in the dust receptacle. The accessory does not damage upholstery and is not heavy.
- Good carpet cleaning without the need for changing the settings: Carpet cleaning with this vacuum is effective without the hassle of changing the height of the brushes regardless of how thin or thick the pile. Users report effective cleaning on all carpet types with just a single pass.
Of course, there are always some negatives with any product. For example, Shark customer service is frequently rated negatively (take a look at some of the reviews on line if this worries you). Here are some other less positive aspects of the Shark NV42.
- Not equipped with a HEPA filter: If you are concerned with allergens or have an asthma sufferer in the household, this may be something that bothers you. The machine does have an allergen removing filter but it doesn’t reach the HEPA standard of capturing at least 99.9% of tiny air particles.
- Not all attachments store on the vacuum: This is not a major point but is a nuisance. Not all of the accessories can be stored on the cleaner which means you might spend time looking for it, or chasing up and down stairs if you forget the one you want.
- Hose connection can be a problem: Some Shark owners note that the connection between the hose and the base tends to break. This seems to occur with various Shark models after a year or so of use. Note that not all users have experienced this problem, though.
|Price||Check Price||Check Price||Check Price|
|range (cord + hose)||35 ft||38 ft||40 ft|
|container size||0.29 gallons (1.1 liters)||0.4 gallons (1.5 liters)||0.5 gallons (1.9 liters)|
|dimensions||11.4 x 11.8 x 45.5 in||13.5 x 12.4 x 46.8 in||41.93 x 15.59 x 13.39 in|
|filter||HEPA filter||HEPA filter||HEPA filter|
|path width||11 in||12 in||12.5 in|
|weight||15 lbs||18 lbs||15.6 lbs|
|warranty||5 years||1 year||5 years|
The cyclonic suction keeps you going even when the dust cup is nearly full, and is powerful enough to suck out dirt and pet hair from deep pile carpets.
The Shark NV42 Navigator Deluxe Upright Vacuum is a solid vacuum offering good value for the money and a helpful range of features across the board. Its design is elegant, but don’t let that fool you. It’s a powerful cleaning machine and one of the best upright vacuums for hardwood floors and carpets.
The cyclonic suction keeps you going even when the dust cup is nearly full, and is powerful enough to suck out dirt and pet hair from deep pile carpets. It also transitions easily on the go to gently clean hard floor surfaces.
Any vacuum cleaner should just work. It shouldn’t be hard to assemble and we shouldn’t need a PhD to understand what it does. This Shark upright vacuum fits those capabilities very nicely.
Power and value combine in this small vacuum cleaner. It might look like a small cleaner, but this upright vacuum packs a punch on both cleaning and value for money.
It has enough different features to make it stand out.
When you’re investigating which of the vast array of choices is the best upright bagless vacuum it can be a daunting job. This smaller vacuum from a company who really knows vacuums is worth a look.
It has loads of features and yet is an amazing value at the same time.
Pet hair? Check. Carpets? Check. Hardwood floors? The Bissell 9595A checks that box too.
With a 25 foot cord and a large capacity dust receptacle the vacuum has a good reach and capacity allowing you to clean entire rooms at a time.
The Bissell company was founded in 1876 and has been making cleaners ever since. This Bissell compact upright vacuum comes with more than hundred years of vacuum technology and know-how behind it, no wonder it has the reputation it does.
With all the top vacuum cleaner brands available today, it is almost impossible to choose which one is the best, but Bissell has to be on the list. The company was founded by a husband and wife team and she became one of the earliest female CEOs.
This is a cyclonic suction vacuum which means it has great sucking power and users agree that for its size, its ability to suck up dust and dirt is exemplary. It effortlessly makes the jump from hardwood floors to carpets, which is why it ranks as one of the best vacuums for both carpet and bare floors. It also handles upholstery and furniture too.
|range (cord + hose)||31 ft|
|color||Black / purple|
|container size||0.53 gallons (2 liters)|
|dimensions||12.5 x 13.5 x 44 in|
|path width||13.5 in|
With a 25 foot cord and a large capacity dust receptacle the vacuum has a good reach and capacity allowing you to clean entire rooms at a time. Although it does not have a swivel head, it is easy to handle and maneuver. The vacuum weighs in at 15 pounds so is not too heavy to manage on stairs and the long pipe hose helps you get to all the difficult to reach places.
Adding to the great value list is the range of accessories. Included is a hose, tube extension, dusting brush, TurboBrush and crevice tool.
Wrap up its great features and functionality with a two-year limited warranty and it’s easy to see why this Bissell bagless upright is one of the best vacuums on the market.
All you have to do to clean the filters is drop them in the washing machine and let them air dry.
How to decide on the best vacuum cleaner? There are so many factors and some of them are not even the machine but who will use it and where. This upright vacuum has lots of features to recommend it.
- Bissell’s One Pass Technology is about getting carpets deeply clean: The Bissell company has developed a technology where the vacuum brushes rotate downwards into the carpet pile to clean all the way to the base of the fiber. This trademarked One Pass Technology works on carpets and rugs of all pile depth.
- Easy to use TurboBrush makes cleaning ubiquitous pet hair a breeze: The TurboBrush is an attachment designed specifically for chairs, stairs and upholstery. It uses the same cyclonic suction technology to easily get pet hair off hard to clean areas without doing any damage. Gotta love having one tool for many jobs!
- Washable filters help you keep the vacuum in great shape: All you have to do to clean the filters is drop them in the washing machine and let them air dry. This helps keep the machine in better working order for longer. It also helps keep your air cleaner too.
- Powerful suction makes all the difference: This is really what a vacuum is all about – its ability to suck up dirt and dust. Many reviews remark on how much power this relatively small vacuum has. More than a hundred years of experience does make a difference.
- Bissell has created the right mix of videos and documentation: We all know how to use a vacuum, so few of us look at a manual unless something goes wrong. Bissell has hit the right note between the documentation and the excellent how-to videos which are available online.
- Functionality and value all in one: Companies have to choose what to put in or leave out of a product to get the right value. Bissell has done a fantastic job of packing the 9595A with features while still delivering excellent value at the same time.
Does it seem like this is the best vacuum cleaners for pet hair and carpets? If this seems a little too positive, here are some of the less positive feature to help you make a decision from an informed standpoint.
- The balance of the unit, especially with attachments not optimal: This Bissell can tip over and so you may find that you need to keep a hand on it. On the whole, it’s not an issue as you usually have your hands on it anyways.
- There is not a way to turn the brushes off: Although the brushes are soft enough to use on hardwood floors without damage, the brushes continue to spin on bare floors. This can sometimes result in debris being scattered about rather than being sucked up.
- Dust canister empties with one button, but can be messy: This may seem small, but if you’ve just cleaned the floor, the last thing you want to do is create more dirt. Just don’t hold it high above the trash when emptying.
|Price||Check Price||Check Price||Check Price|
|range (cord + hose)||31 ft||38 ft||40 ft|
|color||Black / purple||Green||Yellow|
|container size||0.53 gallons (2 liters)||0.4 gallons (1.5 liters)||0.5 gallons (1.9 liters)|
|dimensions||12.5 x 13.5 x 44 in||13.5 x 12.4 x 46.8 in||41.93 x 15.59 x 13.39 in|
|filter||Washable foam||HEPA filter||HEPA filter|
|path width||13.5 in||12 in||12.5 in|
|weight||15.1 lbs||18 lbs||15.6 lbs|
|warranty||2 years||1 year||5 years|
The Bissell company has been making vacuums for many years and has the necessary experience to build a cleaner where features and value coincide.
This Bissell 9595A CleanView Bagless Upright Vacuum is a wonder in terms of the functionality it delivers and the value it gives. It moves between carpets and hardwood floors with ease and is relatively lightweight at 15 pounds.
The biggest downside is that the brushes can’t be turned off, even when using the accessories. This means the place where it is standing takes a beating unnecessarily. However, its superior suction power more than makes up for these design shortfalls.
The Bissell company has been making vacuums for many years and has the necessary experience to build a cleaner where features and value coincide. This upright vacuum is perfect for the small or medium sized pet household with both bare floors and plush carpets.
Best Upright Vacuum Buying Guide
Ease of use is number 1
If it is a nuisance using the vacuum you will regret it every time you use it. Looking at ease of use means qualities like how simple it will be to get the vacuum to go into all the places you need it to go, like awkward corners or stair steps.
Will it go under the beds and the couches easily? Can you move from surface to surface without stopping and changing a setting?
What is the total weight?
You will be surprised how much weight varies. Unlike a corded stick vacuum which weighs practically nothing by comparison, an upright vacuum can weigh from about 12 pounds on the low end to a whopping 18-20 pounds at the top end.
Also, don’t assume that weight means more engine power or better suction. It could just be the weight of the materials used to make the body. Consider weight as a factor alone. Pushing 18 pounds around for an hour is a workout.
Bagless or bagged
The discussion about bagless vs bagged vacuum cleaners is about more than if the vacuum is one of those that has a spiffy see-through dirt cup that easy to empty. Bagged vacuums keep the debris they collect in a removable bag which you seal as you pull if from the unit.
Bagged models tend to keep allergens and pet hair better contained than the see-through canister. With the see-through canister you see when it needs emptying and you don’t need to buy any extra bags.
Suction power and modes
Like a canister vacuum, different vacuums have different suction methods with names such as tornado or cyclonic. What you’re looking for here is not a name, it’s the amount of power behind the suction which is usually measured in watts.
The second part to the suction power is the number of different modes. Vacuuming up light dirt and debris is going to take less suction than deep-pile carpeting. Look for models with varying power modes that are controlled by conveniently located switches.
Filters and allergen protection
Following on from the power of the cleaning is what filters the debris goes through. If you want the best bagless vacuum for pet hair take a look at filters which are designated as HEPA, which will trap more allergens and tiny dust particles.
Beside the type of filter itself, check if they can be replaced and if they can be washed. Filters that can be easily removed and washed are ideal.
Hose and accessories
If you haven’t looked at uprights lately, you might be surprised that many come with hoses that work with various cleaning attachments. Although the hoses aren’t as long as a canister-type vacuum or as convenient as a handheld vacuum, having a hose and accessory tools is very handy.
Look for pet brushes, wide and small upholstery tools, straight suction nozzles, and crevice tools. Your choice may not have all of them, but look for some of them, especially for pets, upholstery and crevices.
Are you bothered by noise?
It’s a fact that vacuums make a lot of noise, particularly upright models which tend to have larger motors. Usually, there will be some compromise in power for the best quiet vacuum cleaner.
Noise is measured in decibels. If you have a garbage disposal unit, it runs for about 30 seconds at 80dB. Upright vacuums can vary from 60 to 80dB. Try and gauge your sensitivity and then check the specifications. You can always use head phones and cleaning music, though.
Of all the various types of vacuums, upright models have the largest dust containers – whether they are a bagless or bagged model. The larger the capacity, the less frequently you’ll need to change the bag or empty the dirt cup.
Capacity is managed in gallons and liters. These are big vacuums so as you would expect they are high capacity – often half a gallon or more. For comparison, a cordless vacuum holds about 0.1 gallons. You can see the difference immediately.
Motorized brushes and your floors
The idea of a motorized brush is a good one. When the brush is motorized it has the power to dig deeply into the carpet fibers. It gives a deeper clean on carpets regardless of their pile length.
But a motorized brush can be rough on hardwood floors causing damage. If you’re looking for the best vacuum cleaner for pet hair and hardwood floors, be sure the model you choose has an option to easily switch off the motor.
Dimensions for storage and use
You will not be surprised to find that these vacuum cleaners can be large – 45-50 inches high and well over a foot wide (15-16 inches). You will need to make sure that you have the space to store it. It will take up quite a lot of space when it is just sitting there.
Additionally, along with the weight, this is a big unit to work with, especially for an older person or shorter person. Take the time to measure up in advance.
With a large vacuum you want the reach to be at least a room size. Like a carpet cleaner, you want to be able to clean the room or the staircase without having to stop and plug in somewhere else.
For uprights, you want at least 30 feet of cord length but some models can have up to 40 feet, which is a bonus. Hose length can add another 3- 6 feet of reach, but technically speaking, “reach” usually means cord length.
Does color matter?
This is something that is entirely personal. Color may matter to some more than others. If you use it and then put it away in a closet you might not care one way or the other.
The current trend is to leave a lot of translucent plastic, which works well for bagless units so you can see how full the dirt cup is. This is then usually matched with the company’s colors or just with an accent to complete the design. You will find colors like champagne, or black and purple.
Maneuverability does matter
Getting the vacuum into all the little awkward places is important. Some vacuums rely on a ball to be able to turn the vacuum through 90 degrees easily. Maneuverability looks at how easy it is to change direction and how much effort it takes to move the machine on different surfaces.
Vacuum cleaner ratings usually assess machines on a test course and calculate a score across a line of tests for maneuverability. Look for high scores, usually on a scale of 0 – 5.
A light at the front
Some vacuums do and others don’t have a light. They are usually put at the front of the vacuum right above the beater bar. They come in handy for cleaning under the cupboards in the kitchen and under furniture where there are shadows.
Yes, there are other ways of getting light where you’re cleaning, but if your last vacuum had one, you will want the new one to have it as well. Check the illustrations online and specifications.
How long is the warranty?
Almost all upright vacs will have some type of warranty. Check the length of time the warranty itself lasts; usually between one and five years. At the same time, look into replacement parts.
Belts, filters and even the hose will probably need replacing at some point. Most warranties will cover just the motor, but the best upright vacuum manufacturers will also cover some of the parts.
Frequently Asked Questions
How well do upright vacuums clean deep pile, plush carpet?
There are two factors which control this; suction power and having a motorized brush. The things to look for are how many power modes the vacuum has. This will give you an idea of the mode for deep pile carpets.
Remember, if you have hardwood floors and carpets, you want the brush to be either hardwood safe (special bristles) or to be able to turn the motor to the brush off completely. This way you protect the floor from scratching.
Can I find upright vacuums that also function as a steam cleaner?
No. Although a steam cleaner usually has a vacuum component, the motor of a dedicated vacuum cannot handle water. A full-size or handheld steam cleaner will be designed with a heating element and engineered to process water.
The job of the vacuum is to collect dirt and debris. A portable carpet cleaner is for removing stains, like a spilled glass of red wine. When buying a vacuum, look for suction power, ease of use and maneuverability.
Are there different specifications for different floors?
Yes there should be. The product description and the users’ manual will spell out the different power, or cleaning, modes. Nowadays vacuums can clean so much more.
We are tempted to find one mode and use that all the time. But it is really worthwhile finding out what your vacuum can do because it is usually more than you think. These are powerful cleaning machines, and they are definitely not you mother’s vacuum any more.
What about pet hair?
This is the perennial question and the truth is many will say that they are good at sucking up pet hair. Here are some things you can do to get extra info.
Look for specialized pet tool attachments. Often these are specially designed brushes. User ratings will also often give you people’s real feelings on how good a particular vacuum is with picking up pet hair. Remember, though, to always take user reviews with a grain of salt.
Do any uprights have retractable cords?
Yes. These are everywhere now, especially on irons and vacuums. You push a button and the cord rolls back into a compartments. It’s more fun than winding 40 feet of cable. This is a lovely to have feature and many really want to add this to their list.
Be aware, though, that retractable cords are a much more common feature of canister vacuums. You will need to look quite carefully for an upright vacuum with a retractable cord.
- Hair Dryer vs. Upright Vacuum: Round Two of #EnergyFaceoff Begins, Energy.gov, November 10, 2014
- Hoover Recalls Upright Vacuum Cleaners Due to Fire and Shock Hazards, US Consumer Product Safety Commission, May 27, 2010
- A comparison of the effect of conventional and filter vacuum cleaners on airborne house dust mite allergen, US National Library of Medicine National Institutes of Health, Aplil 5, 1995
- Upright Vacuum Sweeps Up the Competition in #EnergyFaceoff Round Two, Energy.gov, November 12, 2014
- Why is vacuum cleaner efficiency important?, University of Illinois Extension
- Upright vacuum Ratings & Reliability, Consumer Reports
- Vacuum cleaner, Wikipedia
- Bissell Upright Vacuums, Bissell
- Shark Navigator Upright Vacuum Cleaners, Shark
- Dyson Upright Vacuum Cleaners, Dyson