After 45 hours spent researching the best vacuum cleaners, we think Miele Complete C3 Marin Canister Vacuum Cleaner is the best for most people.
This choice is based on several criteria: type, suction, noise level, range (cord + hose), color, container size, dimensions, filter, modes, path width, bagless, motorized brush, accessories, weight, and warranty, among other things.
|Product||Price||Overall Rating||Quality||Ease of Use||Maneuverability||Maintenance||Value for Money||type||suction||noise level||range (cord + hose)||color||container size||dimensions||filter||modes||path width||bagless||motorized brush||accessories||weight||warranty|
|Miele Complete C3 Marin Canister Vacuum Cleaner||Check Price||4.9||5.0||5.0||4.5||5.0||5.0||Canister||1200W||72dB||36 ft||Blue||1.19 gallons (4.5 liters)||19.5 x 11.2 x 8.9 in||HEPA AirClean filter||6||13.5 in||No||Yes||Yes||19.4 lbs||1 year|
|Shark NV42 Navigator Deluxe Upright Vacuum Cleaner||Check Price||4.4||4.5||4.0||4.0||4.5||5.0||Upright||1200W||74dB||35 ft||Champagne||0.29 gallons (1.1 liters)||11.4 x 11.8 x 45.5 in||HEPA filter||2||11 in||Yes||Yes||Yes||15 lbs||5 years|
|Numatic HVR200A Henry Professional Canister Vacuum Cleaner||Check Price||4.6||5.0||4.0||5.0||4.5||4.5||Canister||600W-1200W||72dB||46 ft||Red||2.37 gallons (9 liters)||17.9 x 14.8 x 14.7 in||Fabric||2||14 in||No||No||Yes||21.2 lbs||1 year|
|Electrolux EL4021A Silent Canister Vacuum Cleaner||Check Price||4.3||4.5||4.5||4.0||4.0||4.5||Canister||1080W||68dB||28 ft||Black||0.29 gallons (1.1 liters)||16 x 12 x 10 in||HEPA filter||5||10 in||Yes||No||Yes||10.9 lbs||5 years|
|Bissell 9595A CleanView Bagless Upright Vacuum Cleaner||Check Price||4.5||5.0||4.0||4.0||5.0||4.5||Upright||800W||86dB||31 ft||Black / purple||0.53 gallons (2 liters)||12.5 x 13.5 x 44 in||Washable foam||5||13.5 in||Yes||Yes||No||15.1 lbs||2 years|
- 1 Selection Of The Best Vacuum Cleaners
- 2 Best Vacuum Cleaner Buying Guide
- 2.1 Type of vacuum cleaner
- 2.2 Suction and airflow
- 2.3 Noise level of vacuum
- 2.4 Range of electric cord and hose
- 2.5 Color and fashion of vacuums
- 2.6 Container size
- 2.7 Overall dimensions of vacuum
- 2.8 Filter or multiple filters catch dust
- 2.9 Modes of operation
- 2.10 Path width of vacuum
- 2.11 Bagless vacuums vs. bagged vacuums
- 2.12 Motorized brush
- 2.13 Accessories for vacuums
- 2.14 Weight of the vacuum
- 2.15 Type of warranty
- 3 Frequently Asked Questions
- 4 Sources
The best vacuum cleaner on the market today far surpasses the initial ones manufactured around 1905. Once labeled luxury items, vacuums are now considered a necessity for clean living.
Vacuums make short work of cleaning wooden floors, carpeting, tile, auto interiors and chairs.
Back in the day, brooms and feather dusters made a room look clean but just moved dirt around. Their idea of a carpet cleaner was hauling rugs outdoors to beat them. A wet cloth was one of the only options to actually remove dirt from the home.
Thank goodness for today’s vacuums! Not only are they infinitely more effective than the early ones, but now vacuums of every size, weight and style are available.
Your great-grandmother would have been astounded with a robot vacuum, or the ease and convenience of using a cordless stick vacuum. She probably would have loved the idea of an electric steam mop too!
The upright vacuum and the canister vacuum are the most common for overall use. A good quality handheld vacuum is efficient for stairs, quick clean-up of pet hair or crumbs on chairs, and under tables. A corded stick vacuum is handy for light cleanups when you don’t want to pull out a full size model.
Each of these types of vacuums come in either bagged or bagless styles. There are pros and cons for each. Asthma and allergies are reported to be on the rise. Vacuums can be quite successful in minimizing airborne particles to provide healthier environments for sufferers.
Selection Of The Best Vacuum Cleaners
Here are the best vacuum cleaners for most people according to Outlinist:
Keeping your home, carpet, and furniture free of dust and dirt is always a chore, but a good vacuum will make all the difference.
Should you get an upright or a canister? Which will work best in your home?
Miele canister vacuum cleaners are known for their superior quality and versatility. They work equally well on hard floors and carpets.
But which is the best Miele canister vacuum? With many to choose from, this can be difficult to figure out.
Here we’re taking a comprehensive look at the Miele C3 Marin. This top-tier vacuum cleaner may be pricey, but many swear it is the best canister vacuum on the market.
The HEPA AirClean filter ensures that none of that dust will be thrown out into the air in your home, which is great for people who suffer from allergies or have other breathing problems.
The Miele Complete C3 Marin Canister Vacuum is a thoroughly impressive machine, giving you all of the perks that canister vacuums give you, including the ease of use and easy cleanup that you simply can’t get with a bagged vacuum.
What makes this the best Miele vacuum cleaner? A lot of things, actually. First, it has a variable speed motor that gives you six stages to work with. This gives you the ability to pick up the toughest dirt or pet hair from the thickest carpets with ease.
The motor is also controlled via a footswitch, allowing you to easily transition from one speed to the next without a hassle. Seamlessly move from one floor to the next without having to switch the vacuum off.
|range (cord + hose)||36 ft|
|container size||1.19 gallons (4.5 liters)|
|dimensions||19.5 x 11.2 x 8.9 in|
|filter||HEPA AirClean filter|
|path width||13.5 in|
There’s also an automatic speed setting, which provides effortless adjustments on its own. Yes, this vacuum will adjust itself to the surface its cleaning so you don’t have to worry about it.
The HEPA AirClean filter ensures that none of that dust will be thrown out into the air in your home, which is great for people who suffer from allergies or have other breathing problems. If someone in your household suffers from asthma, a trustworthy HEPA filter is a must.
It also comes with all of the integrated accessories that you could ever want in a vacuum, allowing you to get to those hard to reach spots on carpets and upholstery, making your cleaning a whole lot easier.
Easily adjust the speed of the motor in order to adapt to whatever surface you might be cleaning.
Being that the Miele C3 Marin is truly a premium vacuum, there are so many features and accessories to go over that it might be difficult to cover them all here. Take a quick look at just a few of them.
- The convenience of a canister: Canister vacuums are generally lighter, and much easier to move around. This one fits that mold exactly. At just under 20 pounds, even your kids will have no problem keeping your floors perfectly spotless for you. Never let your kids use the vacuum’s weight as an excuse again!
- SEB 236 Electro Premium Power Brush: This brush can even tackle high-pile carpets with ease. It digs in deep to get to all of the dirt and dust underneath the surface. This ensures that you’ll always get that deep down clean that you want and need in order to keep a healthy home.
- SBB300-3 Parquet Twister: This attachment is perfect for cleaning any hard, smooth floors. It rotates a full 180 degrees, which is perfect for hardwood, tile, or any other sort of hard flooring. This vacuum isn’t just for your carpet and upholstery; it can handle anything you throw at it.
- Six speed settings with footswitch: Easily adjust the speed of the motor in order to adapt to whatever surface you might be cleaning. All you have to do is tap the switch up or down with your foot, and you can go from low-pile to high-pile carpet without having to stop to make the adjustment.
- Telescopic wand: The telescopic wand is made out of stainless steel and gives this vacuum the ability to reach up to a 36 foot radius. Cleaning cobwebs from ceiling corners has never been easier than it is with this attachment. There’s no place that this vacuum can’t reach!
- AirClean Sealed System: Those who have severe allergies or breathing problems need a filtration system like this. 99.9 percent of all particles that can cause damage to the lungs or trigger allergies are caught in this filter, ensuring that you’ll always have clean, breathable air in your home.
While there are many great things about this vacuum, no product is perfect, and this one isn’t either. Here are some of the issues you might have if you buy the Miele C3 Marin model. Just keep this in mind before you buy.
- Can sometimes get clogged: The angle of the handle is roughly 90 degrees, and so the thicker the dirt or hair that’s being picked up, the more likely it is that it will clog at the handle. This is also a difficult place to remove clogs from, so this can be a bit of a hassle.
- The bags are small and don’t hold much: This is pretty typical for a canister vacuum, but it is something you’ll definitely notice with this one if you’re trying to cover large areas. You’ll need lots of bags, and you’ll have to change them out quite frequently, so beware.
- Extra bags and filters aren’t easy to find: You’re going to need to change the bags regularly, and you’ll have to replace the air filter, too. Unfortunately, these products aren’t the easiest in the world to find, and if you can’t find them, the vacuum won’t do you much good.
|Price||Check Price||Check Price||Check Price|
|range (cord + hose)||36 ft||35 ft||46 ft|
|container size||1.19 gallons (4.5 liters)||0.29 gallons (1.1 liters)||2.37 gallons (9 liters)|
|dimensions||19.5 x 11.2 x 8.9 in||11.4 x 11.8 x 45.5 in||17.9 x 14.8 x 14.7 in|
|filter||HEPA AirClean filter||HEPA filter||Fabric|
|path width||13.5 in||11 in||14 in|
|weight||19.4 lbs||15 lbs||21.2 lbs|
|warranty||1 year||5 years||1 year|
If you want to keep the floors and the air in your home as clean as possible, then this is a great vacuum cleaner.
The Miele Complete C3 Marin Canister Vacuum is definitely an amazing vacuum, providing superior quality to uprights and many similar canister models. It gives you all the tools you need, and it has the power to handle most anything that you throw at it.
The biggest con is finding replacement bags and filters, especially considering that the bags are relatively small. This is annoying, but there are sources online and given the performance this machine delivers, it’s a small price to pay.
If you want to keep the floors and the air in your home as clean as possible, then this is a great vacuum cleaner. Compare it with similar units in order to decide whether or not it is the best value for your money.
Gone are the days of huge, heavy vacuums with hard-to-fit bags that barely do their job.
Now we have streamlined, bagless vacuums that are lightweight, easy to use and do their job much better than the old behemoths.
Having a new, high quality vacuum cleaner will make your life so much easier. Regular carpet cleanings become effortless and your rugs will be much cleaner too.
The beauty of newer upright vacuums is they are great for both carpets and other surfaces. While canister vacuums are great for tiles, marble or wood, they are not so useful when cleaning carpets.
Uprights deliver the power, versatility and cleaning prowess that most homeowners need from a vacuum.
The NV42 also comes with a wide pet upholstery tool, which means that you can use the vacuum to get rid of pet hairs from your furniture.
The Shark NV42 Navigator Deluxe Upright Vacuum is the perfect vacuum cleaner for home and apartment use. It is affordable and is great for carpets, hardwood floors, bathroom tiles and kitchen floors.
While it is not as small or lightweight as a stick-type vacuum, it is among the best small upright vacuums. It is only 15 pounds, which is light for an upright. And when you get a 1200-watt motor within that frame, it is an added bonus.
It is also intuitive to use, although users who have minimal experience with uprights may want to read through the manual once to understand the purpose of the different modes and attachments.
|range (cord + hose)||35 ft|
|container size||0.29 gallons (1.1 liters)|
|dimensions||11.4 x 11.8 x 45.5 in|
|path width||11 in|
If you are tired of pushing around a heavy old vacuum and fussing with dust bags, this vacuum is for you. It will make cleaning the house so much easier, as a quick vacuuming will remove most dirt in minutes. Now you have more time to relax, while enjoying a clean house too. There is no need for complicated carpet cleaning techniques when you have this vacuum.
The NV42 also comes with a wide pet upholstery tool, which means that you can use the vacuum to get rid of pet hairs from your furniture. If your dog or cat sheds on the sofas and chairs (as most do), this machine will suck it all up in a heartbeat.
This powerful, affordable machine will make your life so much easier.
Thanks to this device’s 25-foot power cord, it will be much less of an issue for you when you are vacuuming around the house.
The Shark NV42 is among the best rated vacuum cleaners available today. That you can purchase it for a budget price is even better. Here are the six positives to this vacuum that our research revealed.
- Includes an impressive 1200-watt motor: If you are looking for an affordable, lightweight vacuum that is still powerful, the Shark NV42 fits the bill. The 1200-watt motor means that you will never feel this vacuum is too weak to get dirt off carpets, hardwood floors or other tough to clean surfaces.
- At 15 pounds, it is very light for an upright: Our research revealed the NV42 is the best lightweight vacuum for wood floors and carpets. Not every user will find this vacuum easy to carry around, but it is definitely lighter than other products in its category.
- Comes with a lengthy 25-foot power cord: It is so frustrating when you have to constantly plug and unplug the cord when vacuuming different rooms. Thanks to this device’s 25-foot power cord, it will be much less of an issue for you when you are vacuuming around the house.
- Waste cup holds up to a quart of dirt: The Shark NV42 comes with an XL sized dirt cup, which means fewer trips to empty out all the dirt that you are collecting while vacuuming. Plus, it’s easy to detach to dump the contents into the trash.
- Comes with several tools and attachments for versatile cleaning: This Shark model is shipped with an upholstery tool, crevice tool, pet hair brush and a dusting brush. It is a versatile, multifunctional vacuum that will effectively clean many surfaces.
- It is the best quiet vacuum for carpets and hardwood floors: In its category and price range, the Shark NV42 is one of the quietest vacuum cleaners you will experience. It is great that you can clean carpets, hardwood floors and tiled floors around the house without making a racket and scaring the bejeebers out of the cat.
The Shark NV42 is a high quality upright vacuum, but it is not perfect. There are some issues that you may want to know about before committing to this product. Here are three cons to be aware of.
- Not very good for cleaning stairs, even with its many tools: If you are looking for a vacuum that is easy to use when cleaning staircases, you may want to look for another product. The crevice tool can be used to clean stairs, but many users said that it does not do a great job of picking up all the dirt on carpeted stairs.
- A few users complained about dirt coming out of the sides: There are some reports of a bit of dust escaping from the sides while it is running. It is unclear if this is related to the fullness of the dirt cup and it’s certainly not a common complaint, but there are some reports to take into account.
- Overkill if your home is mostly hard floors: Although this Shark upright is great for all surfaces, if you do not have a lot of carpet in your home this may not be the best choice. It will do a good job, but a canister vacuum may be more efficient.
|Price||Check Price||Check Price||Check Price|
|range (cord + hose)||35 ft||36 ft||46 ft|
|container size||0.29 gallons (1.1 liters)||1.19 gallons (4.5 liters)||2.37 gallons (9 liters)|
|dimensions||11.4 x 11.8 x 45.5 in||19.5 x 11.2 x 8.9 in||17.9 x 14.8 x 14.7 in|
|filter||HEPA filter||HEPA AirClean filter||Fabric|
|path width||11 in||13.5 in||14 in|
|weight||15 lbs||19.4 lbs||21.2 lbs|
|warranty||5 years||1 year||1 year|
If you are searching for an affordable, versatile, powerful and long-lasting upright vacuum to clean carpets and other surfaces, the Shark Navigator Deluxe is a terrific choice.
The Shark NV42 Navigator Deluxe Upright Vacuum is the best lightweight vacuum cleaner for carpets. It is also very effective on hardwood, stone and tiled surfaces. It is an all-round high quality upright model that will make keeping your home clean a lot easier.
Homeowners, children, and pets who are sensitive to loud noise will be happy to know this vacuum is also very quiet. It is not the type of machine to wake up the whole house, which is a huge benefit.
If you are searching for an affordable, versatile, powerful and long-lasting upright vacuum to clean carpets and other surfaces, the Shark Navigator Deluxe is a terrific choice. It will be your go-to vacuum for many years.
Canister vacuums offer maneuverability that you simply can’t get from uprights, but many are turned off due either to capacity or price.
This, however, doesn’t mean that there isn’t a canister vacuum out there that isn’t perfect for you.
The Numatic Henry model may be the best affordable vacuum for those who are looking for something light and portable with a long reach.
If you’re looking for the best bagged canister vacuum, there are probably some with more features than the powerful Henry model.
However, this professional-grade vacuum cleaner delivers outstanding performance and excellent value, which is something to applaud.
The air filtration system is very high efficiency, removing dirt and dust particles that can cause breathing problems from the air.
The Numatic HVR200A Henry Professional Canister Vacuum might not have all the bells and whistles of some of the best canister vacuum cleaners on the market, but if relative suction power and value is your goal, then this might be the best mini vacuum for you.
At just over 20 pounds, it could very well be the best lightweight vacuum on a dollar for dollar analyses. It gives you the basic features of a canister vacuum, but does cut out some of the extras that its competitors usually provide.
These basic features include a folding carry handle which makes it easy to move around, while also providing a high performance level for such a small unit. This little Henry does have some power to it, giving you the suction you need to keep your floors and air clean.
|range (cord + hose)||46 ft|
|container size||2.37 gallons (9 liters)|
|dimensions||17.9 x 14.8 x 14.7 in|
|path width||14 in|
The air filtration system is very high efficiency, removing dirt and dust particles that can cause breathing problems from the air. Air filtration is one of the primary benefits of going with a canister vacuum, and this one will give you excellent filtration.
If you’re looking to conserve energy, you’ll be happy to note that this unit does utilize an “AutoSave” low energy system to ensure that you’re not wasting energy and running up your electric bill when you use it.
While it isn’t the fanciest machine, it beats many of its competitors with its superb suction and comes with the tools needed to get most any job done.
Numatic allows you to bundle the vacuum with 10 filter bags, giving you a great value and enough bags to last you for quite some time.
This little guy provides you with quite a bit of value. If you’ve haven’t yet discovered the benefits of using a canister vacuum, then this Henry model from Numatic is probably a great one to start out with. Here are some of the features you get.
- Lightweight design: Canister vacuums give you a whole lot of power in a compact, lightweight package, and this one is no different. It weighs just above 20 pounds, making it easy for anyone to move it from one room to another or store it away. There’s no need to mess with a big, heavy vacuum again.
- Folding carry handle: Mobility is key here, and the folding carry handle makes this unit even more mobile than many similar models. The handle folds down while you clean, and can easily be lifted when you want to pick it up and move it somewhere else or store it in a closet.
- Henry AutoSave Low Energy System: Numatic has designed the Henry AutoSave Low Energy System for those who are either concerned about the environment, their electric bill, or both. You can reduce your carbon footprint while also easily keeping your home clean. Being as green as possible is always a plus.
- Very efficient air filtration: Don’t just clean your floors and upholstery, but keep your air clean as well. The filtration system works wonders, and you’ll notice the moment you’re done using it for the first time. Breathe deep and enjoy the quality air that few vacuums can provide.
- Get 10 bags in a great value bundle: You’re going to need replacement bags, but they can sometimes be difficult to find. Thankfully, Numatic allows you to bundle the vacuum with 10 filter bags, giving you a great value and enough bags to last you for quite some time.
- Attachments are easy to add or remove: To add to the theme of simplicity and ease of use, the attachments can be added or removed without much effort at all. Particularly for those with low-pile carpets or hardwood who’ve never used a vacuum like this before, this one is perfect.
This bright red cleaning demon gives you an excellent value, but the Henry model does also have its limitations. You want to make sure that all of your needs are met, so make sure to look over this short list of cons before you buy this unit.
- Can struggle with even medium-pile carpets: This vacuum is perfect for low-pile carpet and hard floors, but it will slow down and struggle a bit even on medium-pile carpets. If you have a high-pile carpet, you’re probably going to want to look for something designed to handle carpeting rather than hard floors.
- Doesn’t come with a lot of extra attachments: While attachments are easy to add or remove, you’re going to have to buy most of them separately. The basic unit will be enough for most people, but you’ll have to spend a little more if you want extra brushes or longer hoses.
- Lightweight means plastic: This unit is meant to be portable and easy to carry, so it’s built mostly of light plastic parts. If you’re looking for something really sturdy, you’ll want to look elsewhere. However, something sturdier is also likely to be quite a bit heavier than this unit, so it is a tradeoff in that regard.
|Price||Check Price||Check Price||Check Price|
|range (cord + hose)||46 ft||36 ft||35 ft|
|container size||2.37 gallons (9 liters)||1.19 gallons (4.5 liters)||0.29 gallons (1.1 liters)|
|dimensions||17.9 x 14.8 x 14.7 in||19.5 x 11.2 x 8.9 in||11.4 x 11.8 x 45.5 in|
|filter||Fabric||HEPA AirClean filter||HEPA filter|
|path width||14 in||13.5 in||11 in|
|weight||21.2 lbs||19.4 lbs||15 lbs|
|warranty||1 year||1 year||5 years|
The Numatic HVR200A Henry Professional Canister Vacuum provides an excellent value and will give you the cleaning power that you need for most situations.
The Numatic HVR200A Henry Professional Canister Vacuum certainly has its limitations, but it definitely provides an excellent value and will give you the cleaning power that you need for most situations.
If you have a lot of plush, thickly-piled carpet or want a vacuum that comes with an abundance of specialized cleaning tools, there are other machines out there that might be a little bit better for you. For most regular users, though, little Henry will more than do the job.
In fact, if you need something for hardwood, tile or low-pile carpet, or want something small that’s easy to store away, you’re probably not going to find anything that is a whole lot better than the Numatic Henry vacuum cleaner.
The debate over whether one ought to buy an upright or canister vacuum continues to rage on, but the fact is that which you choose to buy depends on your home.
For hardwood floors, canisters are usually best.
What’s the best bagless canister vacuum? Well, this is a completely different debate, but there are a lot of options.
Those who want the best bagless vacuum for pet hair ought to weigh their options thoroughly before making their decision.
Take a look at the Electrolux EL4021A vacuum cleaner in order to decide if it’s the best canister vacuum for hardwood floors.
You can easily pick up your dog and cat hair without making your best friends freak out on you.
The Electrolux EL4021A Silent Canister Vacuum Cleaner might be the best canister vacuum for pet hair, especially considering how silent it is. Those who have pets know that loud vacuums can make their dogs and cats go crazy, but this one will give them excellent power without all the noise.
The silence of this vacuum really does make it the best pet vacuum. You can easily pick up your dog and cat hair without making your best friends freak out on you. Of course, the type of flooring in your home will determine whether or not this is the best vacuum for your situation.
Thick, high-pile carpets are probably going to be too much for this unit to handle. However, picking pet hair off of hardwood or tile isn’t always easy, but this model can definitely handle it. What’s even better is the fact that it’s lightweight, and you’ll never have to worry about changing bags.
|range (cord + hose)||28 ft|
|container size||0.29 gallons (1.1 liters)|
|dimensions||16 x 12 x 10 in|
|path width||10 in|
It also comes with a 3-in-1 crevice tool, allowing you to pick up dust and hair in even the most awkward of places. Never again will you struggle to lift dirt and hair from tight corners.
For those with allergies or trouble breathing, the HEPA filter is a great selling point. It captures up to 99.97 percent of airborne pollutants, ensuring that even those with compromised lungs will always breathe easy within your home.
Finally, it’s extremely easy to empty, which will make those who’ve struggled with bagged vacuums before love it.
Those with pets will absolutely love the Silence Pro System. The sound-softening nozzle is designed to not only give you amazingly powerful performance, but to also do it very quietly.
What are the best features of the Electrolux EL4021A? The answer is certainly subjective, but there are many great things to choose from. Below is a small list of some of the pros to using this vacuum that you might not find with others.
- Possibly the lightest vacuum around: This vacuum weighs just under 11 pounds. Canister vacs are generally lightweight, but this one takes lightweight design a step further, coming in at about half the weight of other vacuums of its type. Both children and older folks will have no issues using this to clean floors.
- Who needs bags? Even in canister vacuums, changing bags can be a bit of a pain: Thankfully, with this vacuum, you’ll never again have to worry about that. Simply empty out the canister and you’re good to go. Never again will you have to worry about finding the right bags for your vac.
- 3-in-1 crevice cleaning tool: Hard to reach corners and crevices are no longer hard to reach, as this vacuum comes with a 3-in-1 tool that allows you to reach the tightest corners with ease. The dusting brush and upholstery nozzle can be stored on the vac itself, so they’ll always be there when you need them.
- One of the best HEPA filters on the market: The HEPA filter on this unit is second to none. It’ll capture up to 99.97 percent of the pollutants in your air. Not only will you keep your floors clean, but you’ll also make sure that you always have clean air to breathe in your home.
- Silence Pro System: Those with pets will absolutely love the Silence Pro System. The sound-softening nozzle is designed to not only give you amazingly powerful performance, but to also do it very quietly. Your pets will never go crazy when you run this vacuum, as it’ll even be difficult for them to hear.
- Multi-surface cleaning: You get two nozzles as well as a switch to control the speed. This means that you can get that deep cleaning that you need for carpets as well as smooth floors. So long as your carpet is low-pile, you can seamlessly move from hardwood to carpet in no time.
There’s plenty to love about this Electrolux vacuum, but it’s certainly not perfect. Take a look below at some of the flaws that you might find if this is the vacuum you choose to go with.
- Won’t work on thick carpets: It goes without saying that a lightweight canister vac like this one probably isn’t going to give you the power you need for thick carpets. Of course, those who need to get deep into thick carpeting probably ought to go with an upright, anyway.
- Should change attachments when moving from hard floors to rug or carpet: If you have hardwood floors with rugs or small carpets over them, it’s probably a good idea to switch attachments before you move from the hard floor to the rugs, which can be a bit of a pain.
- Not extremely sturdy: With a unit that weighs so little, you’re probably going to worry about how sturdy it is, and you might be right to worry. Plastic is used extensively in order to make it lightweight which can cause it to break easily. Still, the weight does make it worth it.
|Price||Check Price||Check Price||Check Price|
|range (cord + hose)||28 ft||36 ft||35 ft|
|container size||0.29 gallons (1.1 liters)||1.19 gallons (4.5 liters)||0.29 gallons (1.1 liters)|
|dimensions||16 x 12 x 10 in||19.5 x 11.2 x 8.9 in||11.4 x 11.8 x 45.5 in|
|filter||HEPA filter||HEPA AirClean filter||HEPA filter|
|path width||10 in||13.5 in||11 in|
|weight||10.9 lbs||19.4 lbs||15 lbs|
|warranty||5 years||1 year||5 years|
You can easily empty out the canister, and you’ll never have to spend that extra money on bags to use this unit.
The Electrolux EL4021A Silent Canister Vacuum Cleaner is lightweight, easy to use, and it’s designed to get into every nook and cranny in your home. If you have hardwood or low-pile carpet, this is one of the best vacuums you can buy.
You’ll never have to struggle with bags again. You can easily empty out the canister, and you’ll never have to spend that extra money on bags to use this unit. The convenience is amazing, and that’s one of its biggest selling points.
To keep it lightweight, a lot of plastic is used in its construction, but so long as you don’t end up knocking it around too much, that shouldn’t be a problem. This little vacuum cleaner packs a punch, and it’s definitely recommended for pet owners with thin carpeting or hard floors.
Buying a high-quality vacuum cleaner will change your life for the better.
It may sound hyperbolic, but having an easy and effective way to clean carpets, hardwood floors, tile floors and other surfaces is life changing.
Mopping, sweeping and spot cleaning are effective, but only to a point.
Eventually, you will need a simpler and more powerful cleaning solution that allows you to keep your home tidy. And a high-quality upright vacuum will do the job very nicely.
The Bissell 9595A is the ideal bagless upright vacuum for most homes and apartments and might be the best choice for you.
The filter on the vacuum is washable, it comes with handy premium attachments for cleaning corners, stairs and upholstery, and it cleans most surfaces with one pass.
The Bissell 9595A CleanView Bagless Upright Vacuum is a genuine contender for the best bagless vacuum cleaner, especially due to its affordable price. If you are seeking a quality bagless vacuum for carpets and other surfaces, the 9595A will do the job very nicely.
As most bagless vacuum cleaner reviews have suggested, this Bissell model does a great job at cleaning every type of surface. It will remove dirt and debris from hardwood and tile floors with ease. And it is also great for cleaning carpets, which can be an issue for some types of vacuums.
The unit’s bagless technology means that your frustrations of having to buy and replace vacuum bags are over. A couple of twists and turns on the mechanism and all the dirt is easily removed. Issues with the vacuum losing power as the bag fills up are not present either.
|range (cord + hose)||31 ft|
|color||Black / purple|
|container size||0.53 gallons (2 liters)|
|dimensions||12.5 x 13.5 x 44 in|
|path width||13.5 in|
If you want the best upright vacuum, but you do not want to pay over the odds, the Bissell 9595A is the model for you. It delivers powerful suction and its superior performance holds true to the well-respected Bissell name.
The filter on the vacuum is washable, it comes with handy premium attachments for cleaning corners, stairs and upholstery, and it cleans most surfaces with one pass.
As a bonus, the vacuum is only 15.1 pounds, which is quite light for an upright vacuum cleaner. Unlike other upright vacuums, you will not find yourself struggling to move this device around the house.
The Bissell 9595A’s TurboBrush tool is fantastic for cleaning stairs, upholstery and tight corners.
The Bissell 9595A CleanView is recognized as one of the best upright vacuum cleaners for carpets, but it also does an outstanding job on any type of hard flooring. If you are considering this product, here are six of its biggest positives that you should know about.
- Lightweight for an upright: While upright vacuums can be on the heavier side, the Bissell 9595A is only 15.1 pounds. If you want an upright but have a tough time moving around heavy objects, this may be the vacuum for you.
- Bagless design means that it is an easy vacuum to empty: If you have bad experiences with ill-fitting and awkward vacuum bags, it’s time to consider something else. The Bissell 9595A belongs on anyone’s list of the best bagless vacuum cleaners for the money. It is very simple to empty, as a simple release from the body and snap of the lid will empty out the contents into a garbage bin.
- Comes with a powerful TurboBrush tool: The Bissell 9595A’s TurboBrush tool is fantastic for cleaning stairs, upholstery and tight corners. If you have carpeted stairs, this feature is very useful and with its two foot hose and extension wand you’ll be able to reach most steps from one level.
- Cyclonic system for powerful and durable suction performance: The cyclone technology in this upright vacuum ensures that dirt and other debris are collected with powerful suction. And since it is a bagless design, you will not lose power as the vacuum fills up with dirt.
- OnePass technology for quicker cleaning: Bissell has included its innovative OnePass system on this CleanView model which utilizes a unique brush design along with powerful suction to remove more dirt and debris on the first run through than its competitors.
- Includes a washable foam tank filter: Worried about the filter on this vacuum losing performance over time? It is not an issue, as the foam filter on the top of the tank is washable. Just be sure to clean it periodically and you will get the same high performance suction for a long time.
Many reviews place the Bissell 9595A as the best lightweight bagless vacuum, but it is not flawless. There are a few issues that we found to highlight which should be weighed against the positive features when making a decision.
- OnePass performance may slip with pet hair: Pet hair is notoriously difficult for vacuums to suck up, and the Bissell CleanView is not a magic machine. Set your expectations appropriately; multiple passes to rid surfaces of pet hair will be necessary.
- Not as quiet as comparable models: While no vacuum is truly quiet, the Bissell 9595A will make more noise as compared to vacuums with a similar design and price. Consider the noise as a reflection of the suction power you get with this vacuum.
- Can be tough to push on thick-pile carpets: Although this is not a broad-based complaint, if you have particularly plush wall-to-wall carpeting, it’s worth taking into consideration.
|Price||Check Price||Check Price||Check Price|
|range (cord + hose)||31 ft||36 ft||35 ft|
|color||Black / purple||Blue||Champagne|
|container size||0.53 gallons (2 liters)||1.19 gallons (4.5 liters)||0.29 gallons (1.1 liters)|
|dimensions||12.5 x 13.5 x 44 in||19.5 x 11.2 x 8.9 in||11.4 x 11.8 x 45.5 in|
|filter||Washable foam||HEPA AirClean filter||HEPA filter|
|path width||13.5 in||13.5 in||11 in|
|weight||15.1 lbs||19.4 lbs||15 lbs|
|warranty||2 years||1 year||5 years|
Bissell introduced some very interesting features in this vacuum cleaner, which enhance the experience for users.
Searching for the best upright bagless vacuum that is equally effective for carpets and hard floors? The Bissell 9595A CleanView Bagless Upright Vacuum will do the job very nicely. It is competitively priced, feature-filled and very intuitive to use.
Bissell introduced some very interesting features in this vacuum cleaner, which enhance the experience for users. It will effectively clean most surfaces on the first pass, has a generously sized dirt container that is very simple to empty and includes attachments to clean stairs, upholstery and more.
If you are in the market for a high-quality budget vacuum, the Bissell 9595A should be on your list. It is a smart purchase, and its cleaning power will not let you down.
Best Vacuum Cleaner Buying Guide
Type of vacuum cleaner
Upright vacuums and canister vacuums clean wood or tile floors with ease. Getting carpets clean, on the other hand, is the bigger challenge for any vacuum. Look for vacuum cleaner ratings that emphasize how well a model does on carpets.
Uprights are easier to maneuver and move from room to room, but harder to carry up and down stairs since they are heavier than canister models. Robotic vacuums and stick vacuums are convenient, but are best used as backups between heavier vacuuming.
Suction and airflow
Suction is the power of a vacuum motor to pull dirt into the machine. In order to get the dirt and debris contained effectively for disposal, there must also be excellent airflow throughout the entire machine.
So it’s not only the power of the motor that determines cleaning ability. A well-sealed system, with no leaks, is the most efficient for promoting excellent airflow. You shouldn’t only look at horsepower or wattage since those don’t necessarily translate to great performance.
Noise level of vacuum
Upright vacuums tend to be louder than the best canister vacuum. In carpeted rooms, the noise level will be lower, and rooms with tile or wooden floors create higher noise levels no matter which type you use.
Pets and young children are often fearful of vacuum noise. For their sake, and your own hearing, you could look for a machine that’s rated lower in noise level. An average vacuum is around 70-80 decibels. Some models are quiet enough to hold a conversation while running them.
Range of electric cord and hose
An average vacuum cord is 30 feet long, enabling you to use one outlet to reach several rooms. This length should be enough to make it up a set of stairs in one pass. Anything shorter than 30 feet may require using an extension cord.
A hose on the vacuum extends your reach even more. Usually several attachments for the hose are included to make cleaning easier. A crevice tool allows you to get into small spaces. A brush is great on fabrics, blinds and stairs.
Color and fashion of vacuums
Vacuums always used to come in fairly timeless (and bland) colors – browns, beiges, and the like. But that all changed in recent years. You’ll find bright, cheerful reds and yellows as well as blues and greens, even sophisticated all-black models. Some people say the fun colors even changed their attitude about vacuuming.
Along with color changes through the years, the vacuum has evolved from large drum-based machines with coarse bristle brushes, to the newest sleek designs, many with see-through chambers and space age materials.
The frequency you’ll empty debris depends on the size of the dirt container. Stick vacuums for quick clean-ups have a small capacity. Likewise, handhelds have small containers. Even the best handheld vacuum for pet hair needs frequent emptying.
Capacity of full-size uprights or canister vacuums is much greater, but don’t neglect regular emptying. Overfilling clogs the machine. Bags can split and create a mess. If the model is bagless, you can typically tell at a glance whether it needs to be emptied or not.
Overall dimensions of vacuum
If you already know where you want to store your vacuum between cleanings, measure the area and keep the dimensions in mind while you are shopping around.
Uprights need more vertical space since they are taller, but don’t take up a large footprint due to their design. Canister vacuums are bulkier since they are made up of the canister plus a power head attachment. You’ll need more floor space to store a canister type, but they require less height clearance.
Filter or multiple filters catch dust
The best vacuum on the market won’t work well without filter maintenance. Bagless vacuums often have several filters in place of the disposable bag, but even machines with bags include a secondary filter which must be checked.
Filters are especially important if anyone in your home has dust or pollen allergies. The best rated vacuum cleaners for allergy sufferers have excellent HEPA filters and completely sealed systems, capturing nearly all airborne allergens. Check manufacturer instructions for best practices for cleaning and replacing filters.
Modes of operation
If you have both carpet and wooden/tile floors, you need a machine that does a great job cleaning both. The best vacuum for carpets removes the surface dirt and gets debris down in the fibers.
Both canisters and upright models have power cleaning heads for carpeting, usually with rotating brushes. Uprights often go from wood to carpet settings with just one switch. When using canisters, you might only add the cleaning head attachment when it’s time to vacuum the carpets.
Path width of vacuum
The wider the path a vacuum covers with each pass, the less time is needed to clean a room. But with lots of furniture, a wide machine is difficult to maneuver without moving things around.
You may want to choose a slightly narrower model to get between a toilet and wall, for example, or to be able to slide it easily under chairs and stools. Take a quick look around to consider what size path works well with your furnishings.
Bagless vacuums vs. bagged vacuums
In a bagged model, that bag is actually the filter and captures particles. When filled, they should be removed and thrown away – never emptied and re-used – since that reintroduces dust and allergens back into the air. Often there’s a secondary filter to maintain.
Bagless vacuums are newer on the scene and eliminate the cost of replacement bags, however some people don’t like the way debris is visible all the time. These have more than one filter to monitor and keep clean or replace.
A motorized brush gets out dirt below the surface and minimizes the need for a portable carpet cleaner. A motorized brush built into upright models can usually be turned on and off easily as you move from wood to carpeting.
In a canister type model, the brush is typically housed in the power head attachment. Either upright or canister will be the best vacuum cleaners for pet hair, but brush rollers need regular maintenance and cleaning so they don’t get jammed, and bristles remain effective.
Accessories for vacuums
It isn’t necessary to get a lot of attachments. A few are best for effective cleaning: a crevice tool to get into small spaces, one or two brush attachments for furniture, blinds and drapes, and possibly an attachment for pet fur removal if that applies.
Beyond those few items, you may find that any additional tools go unused. A variety of extras may sound like a bonus at first, but turn out to be just added cost for little benefit.
Weight of the vacuum
The weight of the machine is important if you have issues with lifting or climbing stairs. An upright model weighs more than a canister, and lugging it up and down stairs can be somewhat of a workout. Uprights are easier to use from room to room though.
Some canister vacuums are lightweight, even as low as 12 pounds. Consider those if it’s difficult for you to carry or push a heavier upright model. Stick vacuums are light too, but are intended mainly for quick clean-ups.
Type of warranty
Vacuum cleaners usually last quite a while. You’ll find three to five year warranties on some of the better models, but a warranty may be as short as one year on cheaper models. Some warranties specify periodic professional servicing to keep the warranty current. Warranties are often limited, so read the fine print.
Read the owner’s manual to learn what maintenance you should do. Once you find the best vacuum cleaner for your needs, keep it in great shape!
Frequently Asked Questions
Should I get a bagless or bagged vacuum?
Much is simply based on your preference. Both capture dirt and allergens, but vacuums with bags may capture a bit more debris than bagless ones. The best upright bagless vacuum will have a tightly sealed system which allows very little dirt to leak out.
Bagless vacuums save you the cost of purchasing replacement bags, but they have more filters that need to be maintained and possibly replaced. If you don’t like seeing dust and dirt, you’ll like the bagged variety better.
Which features determine the ease of using a vacuum?
Lighter weight and better maneuverability have improved vacuums in recent years. Canister vacuums are lighter, so they’re best for anyone limited in carrying or climbing steps. If your living space is all on one floor, an upright is easier to move around from room to room.
Upright vacuums switch from wooden floors to carpets with the flick of a switch, whereas the best canister vacuum for thick carpet may require adding a power head after you’ve finished cleaning other surfaces.
What is the best vacuum for those with dogs, cats or other pets?
Many pet owners are desperate to find the best pet vacuum cleaner to rescue their carpets, pillows, and furniture from fur. If that’s you, take a look at vacuums emphasizing pet hair removal. A few offer a steam cleaner and vacuum combo for pet hair.
The best upright vacuum for pet hair will have rotating bristle brushes built in. These brushes need to be easily reached for cleaning, since you will have to keep them free of hair to ensure that they work well.
Which tools and attachments are worth getting on vacuums?
You probably don’t need as many gadgets as you think, even though they may sound appealing. Only invest in accessories that are going to help you practically with cleaning needs you have. Stick with the basics you know you’ll use.
A crevice tool is essential to get into small spaces and suction out corners. For drapery and furniture or delicate surfaces, you will want a brush that fits onto the hose of the vacuum. Some benefit from a pet hair removal tool.
Besides floors, what is a vacuum good for?
A vacuum can be used for cleaning almost all hard and soft surfaces. Couches, chairs, pillows, and mattresses benefit from vacuuming, and may be just as effective as a handheld steam cleaner.
Vacuums are useful inside drawers and cabinets to get dust out of the corners. A crevice tool can slide under a refrigerator or stove to eliminate dust bunnies. Most vacuums have a setting to cut down on the suction for cleaning delicate items. When adjusted this way, they can be used to clean off electronics and fabric blinds.
- Improving Vacuum Cleaners, NASA Spinoff
- The effect of vacuum cleaners on the concentration and particle size distribution of airborne cat allergen, National Institutes of Health, April 1, 1993
- Recall List, United States Consumer Product Safety Commission
- Vacuum Cleaners, New York State Office of General Services
- How to dispose of or recycle Vacuum cleaner, Zero Waste DC
- Vacuum Cleaners - Healthy Indoor Air, University of Illinois Extension
- Vacuuming To Capture Bed Bugs | Let's Beat the Bed Bug!, University of Minnesota
- Vacuum cleaner, Department of Electrical and Computer Engineering
- Vacuum cleaner, Wikipedia
- List of vacuum cleaners, Wikipedia