After 54 hours spent researching the best portable carpet cleaners, we think Bissell Pet Stain Eraser Cordless Portable Carpet Cleaner is the best for most people.
This choice is based on several criteria: dimensions, type, power, power rating, color, cleaning path, tank capacity, hose length, accessories, motorized brush, removable tank, heater, carry handle, weight, and warranty, among other things.
|Product||Price||Overall Rating||Quality||Ease of Use||Maneuverability||Maintenance||Value for Money||dimensions||type||power||power rating||color||cleaning path||tank capacity||hose length||accessories||motorized brush||removable tank||heater||carry handle||weight||warranty|
|Bissell Pet Stain Eraser Cordless Portable Carpet Cleaner||Check Price||4.8||5.0||4.5||5.0||4.5||5.0||16.5 x 5.5 x 7 in||Cordless||Li-ion battery (4 hours)||7.2 volts||Grey / green||3 in||8 oz / 0.24 L||No hose||Not specified||Yes||Yes||No||Yes||4.6 lbs||2 years|
|Rug Doctor Clean Fresh Portable Carpet Cleaner||Check Price||4.5||4.5||4.0||4.5||4.5||5.0||17.8 x 12.5 x 17.8 in||Corded||15-feet cord||10 amps||Red||4.5 in||64 oz / 1.9 L||5.5 feet||Not specified||Yes||Yes||No||Yes||20.2 lbs||2 years|
|Bissell 3624 SpotClean Professional Portable Carpet Cleaner||Check Price||4.9||5.0||5.0||5.0||4.5||5.0||10 x 14 x 14 in||Corded||22-feet cord||5.7 amps||Black||6 in||96 oz / 2.8 L||4-feet||9-piece kit||Yes||Yes||No||Yes||13 lbs||2 years|
|Bissell 5207F SpotClean ProHeat Portable Carpet Cleaner||Check Price||4.4||5.0||4.0||4.5||4.0||4.5||6.5 x 12 x 14.5 in||Corded||15-feet cord||3 amps||Blue||4 in||37 oz / 1.09 L||4.5 feet||2 tools||Yes||Yes||No||Yes||8.5 lbs||2 years|
|Bissell 14259 Little Green ProHeat Portable Carpet Cleaner||Check Price||4.6||5.0||4.5||4.5||4.0||5.0||8.2 x 17.2 x 12.5 in||Corded||15-feet cord||9 amps||White / green||3 in||48 oz / 1.4 L||4 feet||3 tools||Yes||Yes||Yes||Yes||13 lbs||1 year|
- 1 Selection Of The Best Portable Carpet Cleaners
- 2 Best Portable Carpet Cleaner Buying Guide
- 2.1 The Basics
- 2.2 Vacuum vs. Portable Carpet Spot Cleaner
- 2.3 Wet or Dry Cleaning
- 2.4 Water Temperature
- 2.5 Weight
- 2.6 Cord or Cordless
- 2.7 Cord Length
- 2.8 One or Two Tanks
- 2.9 Tank Size
- 2.10 Cleaning solutions
- 2.11 Pet Stain Removal
- 2.12 Hands-Free Cleaning
- 2.13 Cleaning Reach
- 2.14 Furniture
- 2.15 Product Warranty
- 3 Frequently Asked Questions
- 3.1 If I have a portable carpet cleaner, do I need to use a vacuum on my carpet?
- 3.2 Should I get a carpet cleaner that relies on water, hot water or just uses a cleaning solution?
- 3.3 Are chemicals involved in the cleaning process with portable carpet cleaners?
- 3.4 Can I use a portable cleaner on an entire room at once?
- 3.5 Will my carpet cleaner machine require maintenance?
- 4 Sources
Spills and stains ruin the look of your carpets, but by investing in the best portable carpet cleaner it’s easy to keep them looking their best.
Anytime the cat has an accident, or the party overflows on the carpet, you can take out the portable carpet cleaner and spot clean the area.
Anyone who has lived in a home or apartment with a carpet will tell you that keeping it clean can be a troublesome process. A canister or upright vacuum does help, but it will never do the job as well as a carpet cleaner.
A typical vacuum will get some dust, hairs and other items off the surface of a carpet. But a lot of the mess will remain, which you can identify by running your hands through the area of the carpet you just vacuumed.
In contrast, a handheld steam cleaner that is designed for use on carpets will provide you with a much deeper cleaning solution. Whether it is a stain, pet hair or other dirt, the steam cleaner should have no issues cleaning up your carpet.
And most portable carpet cleaners are very easy to use. You simply fill the cleaner’s tank with water and a cleaning solution, and let the cleaner do the rest. It is a quick and affordable way to deliver a “professional” cleaning to your carpets.
This type of carpet cleaner is perfect for removing stains, oils, dirt, pet hairs, food and other items from the surface of your carpets. When you are done using the handheld carpet cleaner on a portion of your carpet, it will look brand new!
Selection Of The Best Portable Carpet Cleaners
Here are the best portable carpet cleaners for most people according to Outlinist:
Are you a pet owner? Chances are your dog or cat has had an accident or two on the carpet.
Animals tend to trail in messes that leave deep stains. If only there was a way to get rid of them…
Whether it’s from pets, kids, or common spills and messes, stains happen.
There are quite a lot of options out there when it comes to cleaning products to remove stains from carpets and other soft surfaces in your home. How to choose the best one?
Take a closer look at this Bissell portable carpet cleaner before you make a purchase decision.
Bissel is one of the best carpet cleaning companies in the country producing only the highest quality household cleaning tools.
Let’s face it. Life leads to mess and messes sometimes lead to stains. It’s inevitable, especially when you get pets involved. But there are definitely products out there that can help keep your carpets clean, even with pets running around.
The Bissell Pet Stain Eraser Cordless Portable Carpet Cleaner is targeted to pet owners but is great for all kinds of stains on soft surfaces in your home like carpets, sofas, pillows, rugs, and it can even be used in your car.
This handheld, ready-to-use machine comes with the solution pre-mixed and inside the product. The spray, brush, and suction power all work well together to lift even old stains from carpets and other surfaces.
|dimensions||16.5 x 5.5 x 7 in|
|power||Li-ion battery (4 hours)|
|power rating||7.2 volts|
|color||Grey / green|
|cleaning path||3 in|
|tank capacity||8 oz / 0.24 L|
|hose length||No hose|
Its cordless design is powered by two included lithium ion batteries that produce 7.6 volts of power which lasts for up to 15 minutes for those quick cleanups. This ultra-portable cleaner weighs less than 5 pounds and the ergonomic features make it easy to handle.
Another important feature is the removable nozzle. This allows the vessel to be properly cleaned to ensure a long lifespan of the product and to reduce malfunction due to blockage from dirt and pet hair.
Bissel is one of the best carpet cleaning companies in the country producing only the highest quality household cleaning tools. Their innovative carpet cleaners, steamers, and sweepers are all made with sustainability in mind and they support various charities promoting animal welfare.
This is the best pet carpet cleaner to buy if you love helping animals.
Especially if you have pets, you’re going to need the best portable spot cleaner possible to help deal with those seemingly constant messes. Here are just a few of the high quality features this Bissell machine has to offer.
- Sprays, scrubs, and has powerful suction to remove carpet stains: With the combination of cleaning spray, scrubbing brushes, and suction power, this could be the best handheld carpet cleaner you’ve ever owned. Handle stains and pet messes on any soft surface including carpets, sofas, rugs, stairs, and car seats.
- Lightweight design and no cord offers ultimate convenience to clean anywhere: This Bissell cleaner is super lightweight and handheld, weighing less than 5 pounds. Its cordless design is made possible by two lithium ion batteries that will last for up to 15 minutes and produces 7.2 volts of power.
- Cleaning formula doesn’t require mixing and is stored inside machine: Many of the best portable spot cleaner products require mixing their cleaning solutions with water. This Bissell product stores its pre-mixed solution within the machine so it’s ready when you need it.
- Bissell is a trusted brand in the household cleaning industry: Bissell is a well-known and trusted name brand to give you peace of mind that you’re purchasing a quality product. They have been in business since 1876 and in addition to their top-notch products, they work provide sustainability and animal welfare.
- Removable nozzle makes it easy to clean and maintain: Many household cleaning machines tend to malfunction simply because dirt and hair gets trapped in the machinery. Having a removable nozzle means you can clean everything out after each cleaning session to make sure the cleaner lasts you a long time.
- Proceeds of this product benefit the Bissell Pet Foundation: This is the best pet carpet cleaner to buy if you love helping animals. With every purchase of a Bissell pet product, Bissell donates up to $10 to their foundation. Some Bissell carpet cleaner reviews take a cynical view that this is just a marketing ploy. But as pet lovers, we consider any help given to needy animals a good thing and worth highlighting.
To balance out all of the previously mentioned positive features of this Bissell cleaner, there are a few negatives to mention that could present problems for you. In order to make the most well-informed decision, review the downsides before making a purchase.
- Isn’t capable of heating up for an even deeper clean: A carpet cleaner that is able to heat up the water in its tank usually works better to lift deep stains. While this Bissell model has other ways to remove stains, having a heating option would be a plus.
- Cordless adds to convenience, but takes away power and cleaning time: While it’s one of the best lightweight carpet cleaner options around, what you gain in convenience you give up in other areas. Nearly 8 watts of power is ok, but corded cleaners will have more suction and 15 minutes of cleaning time isn’t much.
- Some customers dealt with leaks but there’s a 2-year warranty: You might see that some angry customers experienced leakages. While this is clearly frustrating for those who dealt with that problem, you’ll get a 2-year warranty when you buy the Bissell Pet Stain model in case any issues should come up.
|Price||Check Price||Check Price||Check Price|
|dimensions||16.5 x 5.5 x 7 in||17.8 x 12.5 x 17.8 in||10 x 14 x 14 in|
|power||Li-ion battery (4 hours)||15-feet cord||22-feet cord|
|power rating||7.2 volts||10 amps||5.7 amps|
|color||Grey / green||Red||Black|
|cleaning path||3 in||4.5 in||6 in|
|tank capacity||8 oz / 0.24 L||64 oz / 1.9 L||96 oz / 2.8 L|
|hose length||No hose||5.5 feet||4-feet|
|accessories||Not specified||Not specified||9-piece kit|
|weight||4.6 lbs||20.2 lbs||13 lbs|
|warranty||2 years||2 years||2 years|
The Bissell Pet Stain Eraser Cordless Portable Carpet Cleaner aims to make cleaning up stains easy and convenient.
Bissell is a family operated company that has been in business for over 140 years. They produce sustainable, high quality household cleaning appliances focusing on carpet cleaners, vacuums, and floor mops. As a bonus for pet lovers, they have initiatives to help support animal welfare projects.
The Bissell Pet Stain Eraser Cordless Portable Carpet Cleaner aims to make cleaning up stains easy and convenient. This lightweight, handheld device is cordless and uses cleaning spray, brushes, and suction power to quickly lift even the most deeply set stains from carpets and other soft surfaces.
The next time your pet causes a mess on the carpet or you spill your coffee on the couch, don’t worry because this Bissell portable carpet cleaner can fix that in no time.
Are there certain areas of your house that just never seem to stay clean? Perhaps the front door rug, carpeted stairs, or your dog’s favorite napping spot?
It may be time for a portable cleaning machine that’s easy to use.
When shopping for the best carpet spot cleaner machine, considering all the options such as portability, stain-fighting power and unique features are all important.
You want to be able to take this machine all throughout your house and you want it to function well.
Rug Doctor is well-known for their superior carpet cleaners and their small spot cleaning model stands out as one of the best options for a portable carpet cleaner.
The two cleaning formulas are added to the water to eliminate odors and fully decompose stains.
If you need a carpet cleaner that you can use to remove stains for high-traction areas in your home, you’ll need something that’s easy-to-use, powerful, and portable.
The Rug Doctor Clean Fresh Portable Carpet Cleaner is on the list as the best carpet cleaner for pet stains, couches, rugs, and even car upholstery. This product includes high quality features that make deep cleaning hassle-free.
The unique motorized, oscillating brush moves at an impressive 1200 times per minute helping to break up even older stains. No need for high heat with this powerful brush. And on top of that, two times the suction lifts dirt and helps your carpets and other upholstered surfaces dry quickly.
|dimensions||17.8 x 12.5 x 17.8 in|
|power rating||10 amps|
|cleaning path||4.5 in|
|tank capacity||64 oz / 1.9 L|
|hose length||5.5 feet|
Weighing around 20 pounds, this mighty little cleaning machine comes on carpet-friendly wheels. Take it all throughout your home using its retractable handle. There’s no lugging around a huge machine to get quick jobs done fast. The portability makes it feasible to quickly perform spot treatments around your home.
The two cleaning formulas are added to the water to eliminate odors and fully decompose stains. Simply fill the tank with hot water, add one of the cleaning formulas using the convenient measuring lines, and start cleaning. It’s as easy as that.
Rug Doctor is a global leader in the household cleaning market and has been in business for over 43 years. Their goal is to empower customers to “do it themselves” by providing professional quality carpet cleaners at a great value. They sell and rent their signature red cleaning machines across 40,000 retail locations and online.
Without the hassle of putting together tiny bits and pieces, the machine will be ready to go as soon as you receive it.
With some truly innovative and unique features, this machine clearly demonstrates some of the most high-quality options for powerful portable carpet cleaners. Here are a few of the reasons why we agree with other carpet shampooer reviews that this Rug Doctor model is one of the best choices to keep any home looking its best.
- Motorized, oscillating brush helps remove stains without the use of heat: In order to scrub deep into carpets, this motorized brush moves 1200 times per minute. It breaks up even the most deeply set stains without using steam or excessive heat which could damage some material.
- Extremely portable with retractable handle and carpet-friendly wheels: Take this Rug Doctor throughout your home using the retractable handle, just like a rolling suitcase. Use it on carpets, couches, and even as a portable upholstery cleaner for your car to release stains from dirty shoes, spills, and more.
- Comes with two different cleaning formulas for targeted results: Included with purchase are two kinds of cleaning formulas. The first is Platinum Pure with Oxy for everyday stains and spills and the other is Platinum Pure for Pets which ranks as one of the best carpet cleaner sprays for pet stains.
- Removable water tanks are easy to fill up and empty: There are separate clean and dirty water tanks that are easy to fill up and empty. When filling up, use convenient measuring lines to make sure you don’t use too much or too little water or cleaning formula to get the perfect clean.
- No assembly required; ready to start cleaning straight from the box: Without the hassle of putting together tiny bits and pieces, the machine will be ready to go as soon as you receive it. Simply fill up the clean water tank, add the cleaning formula and it’s ready to tackle tough stains.
- Two times the suction power to lift dirt and debris: In addition to its tough, stain-fighting qualities, this wet vacuum also has powerful suction strength. The scrubbing head and cleaning formula loosens the stains and the suction lifts it out of your carpet and helps it dry quickly.
While most of the reviews are positive, there are always some downsides to any product or service and this Rug Doctor cleaner is no exception. Before making a purchase, you will want to consider its less desirable qualities.
- While this product is portable, it’s not the most lightweight: Weighing in at 20 pounds, this Rug Doctor portable spot cleaner is heavier than some of its competitors. But, with wheels it’s still very portable and means you won’t need to carry it at all.
- Some customers were unhappy with warranty details after issues occurred: It’s important to always double check on warranty standards to understand exactly what is covered. If concerned about problems occurring, check with the manufacturer to see about warranty details so that you’re not expecting something to be covered that isn’t.
- Difficult to clean the head as it is not removable: The plastic part of the cleaner head is not removable. When pet hair, loose carpet, or other debris gets lodged in the cleaner head, it can be difficult to clean properly, especially if the blockage gets built up.
|Price||Check Price||Check Price||Check Price|
|dimensions||17.8 x 12.5 x 17.8 in||16.5 x 5.5 x 7 in||10 x 14 x 14 in|
|power||15-feet cord||Li-ion battery (4 hours)||22-feet cord|
|power rating||10 amps||7.2 volts||5.7 amps|
|color||Red||Grey / green||Black|
|cleaning path||4.5 in||3 in||6 in|
|tank capacity||64 oz / 1.9 L||8 oz / 0.24 L||96 oz / 2.8 L|
|hose length||5.5 feet||No hose||4-feet|
|accessories||Not specified||Not specified||9-piece kit|
|weight||20.2 lbs||4.6 lbs||13 lbs|
|warranty||2 years||2 years||2 years|
The Rug Doctor Clean Fresh Portable Carpet Cleaner is a powerful machine that helps lift dirt in a functional, efficient way.
Rug Doctor is unique in that it not only sells commercial grade carpet cleaners, but they also rent them to customers. The motto of Rug Doctor for the past 43 years has been to allow people to “do it themselves” for a great value.
The Rug Doctor Clean Fresh Portable Carpet Cleaner is a powerful machine that helps lift dirt in a functional, efficient way. With its motorized brush head and use of water and suction, even the most deeply-set stains in your carpets, couches and car seats can be a thing of the past.
Instead of hiring expensive cleaning companies or renting big carpet cleaning machines, take things into your own hands and try this easy-to-use, portable carpet cleaner on all your home’s rugs and upholstered surfaces.
What do you do when there’s a small spot on the carpet or you spill soda in the car?
It’s a mess you must deal with, but how much hassle are you prepared to deal with to get it done?
When you need to remove an isolated stain you need something light and easy which can clean up the mess fast before it sets in to the fabric.
The best carpet spot cleaners are a class of machine on their own. Their task is to deal in small areas but to be exceptionally good at the job.
A good portable carpet cleaner is a little cleaning demon that can help restore carpets and upholstery to their former glory.
It can deal with spots on upholstery and those who love to keep their cars spotless find it to be one of the best portable carpet cleaners for cars.
The Bissell 3624 SpotClean Professional Portable Carpet Cleaner has a cleaning power beyond its size. It looks like the top of R2-D2 of Stars Wars fame with an added carrying handle.
The unit weights 13 lbs. and comes with a 22-foot cord and a 5-foot hose giving it a long reach to take the machine directly to the stain. The tank holds 3/4 gallon of hot or cold water mixed with Bissell detergent (the Bissell Spot Clean Pro instructions are explicit about amounts).
Rubber needles soak the fibers with the detergent water mix to loosen the dirt. Then the Bissell Spot Clean Pro 3624’s sucking action removes the stain and the dirty water in one efficient action. Empty the water after use.
|dimensions||10 x 14 x 14 in|
|power rating||5.7 amps|
|cleaning path||6 in|
|tank capacity||96 oz / 2.8 L|
But the Bissell Spot Cleaner Pro is not limited to carpets. It can deal with spots on upholstery and those who love to keep their cars spotless find it to be one of the best portable carpet cleaners for cars. The machine is small enough to fit easily within the foot wells giving great access to seat level and the floor too.
Storage of the unit is a snap. It has special onboard nooks to hold the hose, accessories and the cord. The whole thing is about the height of a briefcase while being a little bit deeper and not quite as wide. You could store it in the cupboard under the sink easily.
Its best feature by far though is its cleaning action. Tough stains are no match for this professional-grade cleaner.
The SpotClean Pro’s sucking action removes as much of the water as it can, leaving the fibers and even the backing nearly dry.
The Bissell 3624 SpotClean professional portable carpet cleaner is “professional” in the sense of the job that it does; it is not made to clean huge offices. But it has some superior features which kick it to the next league.
- Two additional accessories extend the range of the carpet cleaner: A 6″ specially designed stair tool focuses the carpet spot remover on a stair width and the Tough Stain tool provides extra strong bristles for a stain that needs a little extra hard work. With both you should be able to tackle anything.
- Tank holds three-quarters of a gallon a long clean: Your cleaning cycle is uninterrupted by your needing to refill the tank. Three-quarters of a gallon provides enough water to clean the average set of stairs without needing a fill up. Remember, this is a spot unit – not the best carpet cleaner for wall-to-wall carpeting.
- Both the clean and dirty water tanks are easily removed: Getting the water tanks in and out is easy to do and they are not heavy. The clean water tank can fit under the average faucet for filling and is light enough to hold in one hand to add detergent.
- Powerful suck action leaves carpets nearly dry after use: Carpets really need to dry as quickly as they can to avoid the possibility of mildew. The SpotClean Pro’s sucking action removes as much of the water as it can, leaving the fibers and even the backing nearly dry.
- Plug-in unit provides cleaning power continuously and evenly: It is not a disadvantage to be a plug-in unit. Spot stain cleaners need to be powerful to work effectively and the power in cordless models tends to wane as the battery weakens.
- Compact design and lightweight unit sits neatly in most places: At only 10 inches wide, the unit will sit tidily on one stair while you clean the next one. Because the unit is so compact it can stay close by as you clean, including the difficult to get to areas.
This Bissell cleaner does such a good job that it was difficult to find some negatives to include in order to present a full picture. Nevertheless, every product has some inherent downsides and we found three which perhaps detract a little from all the positive features.
- Can be noisy: It isn’t an aircraft landing in your living room, but the Bissell SpotClean Pro is noisier than some of its competitors. Do remember you will not be using it for long, and that the volume level reflects its superior cleaning power.
- Lack of wheels: Although wheels might be a nice addition, the machine isn’t a vacuum or a full-house carpet cleaner that must be able to easily roll over carpets. You take the unit to the spot and then deal with it there. It also weighs only 13lbs in total.
- Stiff hose needs a little extra care and attention: It is worthwhile giving the hose a little care. It is stiff to start with so treating it roughly can cause problems with cracks. It will be replaced if in warranty but be gentle with it during early days.
|Price||Check Price||Check Price||Check Price|
|dimensions||10 x 14 x 14 in||16.5 x 5.5 x 7 in||17.8 x 12.5 x 17.8 in|
|power||22-feet cord||Li-ion battery (4 hours)||15-feet cord|
|power rating||5.7 amps||7.2 volts||10 amps|
|color||Black||Grey / green||Red|
|cleaning path||6 in||3 in||4.5 in|
|tank capacity||96 oz / 2.8 L||8 oz / 0.24 L||64 oz / 1.9 L|
|hose length||4-feet||No hose||5.5 feet|
|accessories||9-piece kit||Not specified||Not specified|
|weight||13 lbs||4.6 lbs||20.2 lbs|
|warranty||2 years||2 years||2 years|
The extra brushes and power suction mean that you can use it on carpets, upholstery and in the car too.
The Bissell 3624 SpotClean Professional Portable Carpet Cleaner is a powerhouse cleaning tool for removing spots and deep stains. It cleans where others have failed, plus, it does it well and efficiently.
It is a carry-around unit that only weighs 13 pounds when all its accessories are attached, making it useable by almost anyone. You do not need to hold the unit when working on a stain, so it is simply a question of getting it there and plugging it in.
The extra brushes and power suction mean that you can use it on carpets, upholstery and in the car too. It is a perfect size for easy storage and getting into difficult to clean places. In short, this Bissell portable carpet cleaner delivers superior performance and belongs on anyone’s short list of options.
Portable carpet spot remover machines live in a very specific market niche. They aren’t carpet cleaners and are not meant to be used for a whole house.
Their job is to be tough on stains and ingrained dirt within a small area.
If you buy a portable carpet cleaner for other, bigger tasks you’re going to be disappointed.
If you buy it to deal with smaller more immediate stains, like cleaning up after pets or kids, you will be more satisfied.
The best carpet spot cleaners are lightweight, quick to hand, and easy to use. They are small units because they are built for smaller difficult jobs.
The Bissell Spot Cleaner ProHeat also comes with HeatWave technology. HeatWave maintains the water at the temperature you put it into the unit.
The Bissell 5207F SpotClean ProHeat Portable Carpet Cleaner is a mid-range unit and provides excellent value and cleaning power.
This Bissell Spot Clean Pro Heat is perfect for dealing with those little upsets and mishaps which occur, such as when your dog brings the outside indoors to their favorite spot on the carpet.
It is only 8.5 pounds with a 15-foot power cord which makes it both lightweight but a little limited in reach. Of course, you can always add an extension cord if you’re looking to use it on the car. This is not a commercial upholstery cleaning machine but is more like the emergency crew rushing to the scene of an accident and coping with supreme efficiency.
|dimensions||6.5 x 12 x 14.5 in|
|power rating||3 amps|
|cleaning path||4 in|
|tank capacity||37 oz / 1.09 L|
|hose length||4.5 feet|
The unit comes with two additional brushes. One is specific for use on stairs and is the width of the average stair step. The other is a brush which is designed for stubborn and ingrained stains, giving the cleaning extra oomph.
The Bissell Spot Cleaner ProHeat also comes with HeatWave technology. This is not intended to heat the water. HeatWave maintains the water at the temperature you put it into the unit. It is not a water heater and buyers who have not realized that have been disappointed. On the plus side, you can use hot water from the tap on several spots around the house without rushing to finish before the water cools.
The above is not to downplay this machine, but to set appropriate expectations. After doing our own due diligence, we agree with other Bissell spot clean reviews that give high marks to its cleaning power and efficiency which are the main reasons to buy this product.
This Bissell is safe to use on materials which can be washed with water. You can use it on car upholstery and carpets as well as couches and chairs in your house.
This Bissell spot cleaning model is a specific product that does a great job when used for its intended purpose. Here are some of the above average features to help your decision making and to work out if this hard-working little machine is for you.
- Two-tank system is hygienic and clearly at work: The alternative design is to use a bladder which sits inside the tank. The two-tank system is less complex and so less liable to lead to problems. You can see at a glance how much dirty water has been sucked back.
- An additional turbo-head can be purchased for extra cleaning power: Static brushes inject water and detergent to loosen dirt and then the sucking power removes water and dirt together. You can add a turbo cleaning head with rotating bristles if you feel the static ones are not up quite enough.
- The unit has a super slim design and neat footprint: The Bissell 5207F is a small unit. At only 6.5″ deep x 12″ wide x 14.5″ tall you can stand it on one stair while you clean another one. You can easily store the machine in the cupboard under the sink.
- HeatWave technology keeps water at a consistent temperature: Whether you add very hot water or just lukewarm water, the HeatWave technology is there to keep water at that temperature. Like much of the unit, it is designed to provide cleaning power in a reliable, steady way.
- Great little unit for cars and upholstery: This Bissell is safe to use on materials which can be washed with water. You can use it on car upholstery and carpets as well as couches and chairs in your house. If in doubt, test a small non-visible spot.
- Works well on mattresses too: This spot cleaner can also be used on mattresses. Remember, though, that the temperature of the hottest water from the tap is not high enough to kill bed bugs. But stain removal is a breeze for this little high-powered cleaner.
There is not a product out there in the world that will please everyone all the time. To provide a balanced view, here are three features which are a little less positive than those above.
- Hose can be stiff: Some users did feel the hose was difficult to maneuver and some experienced issues with cracking hoses too. The stiffness will lessen over time as you use it and a cracked hose should be covered by the 2 year warranty that Bissell provides for the 5207F model.
- Water reservoir can leak: This is more an issue of the tanks not being properly in place. Check that the tank is properly back in place and this should not be an issue. It’s not exactly a trick, but it must be placed properly.
- Engine size in such a small unit is loud: The engine size is needed to create enough suction to ensure the carpet or upholstery gets properly cleaned and that all the excess water is removed. Think of the volume as the price for the cleaning power.
|Price||Check Price||Check Price||Check Price|
|dimensions||6.5 x 12 x 14.5 in||16.5 x 5.5 x 7 in||17.8 x 12.5 x 17.8 in|
|power||15-feet cord||Li-ion battery (4 hours)||15-feet cord|
|power rating||3 amps||7.2 volts||10 amps|
|color||Blue||Grey / green||Red|
|cleaning path||4 in||3 in||4.5 in|
|tank capacity||37 oz / 1.09 L||8 oz / 0.24 L||64 oz / 1.9 L|
|hose length||4.5 feet||No hose||5.5 feet|
|accessories||2 tools||Not specified||Not specified|
|weight||8.5 lbs||4.6 lbs||20.2 lbs|
|warranty||2 years||2 years||2 years|
It is a small unit, just a little broader than a briefcase, so you can use it almost anywhere there is a place to plug in.
The Bissell 5207F SpotClean ProHeat Portable Carpet Cleaner is a powerful unit for cleaning smaller accidents such as cleaning up after pets and small children. It is a lightweight unit with a 15-foot cord plus a hose which enables it to be taken to the site.
Its main selling points are its cleaning power and its flexibility. It is a small unit, just a little broader than a briefcase, so you can use it almost anywhere there is a place to plug in. The unit provides the same cleaning power throughout the whole process thanks to HeatWave technology.
Add Bissell detergents with a boost of Oxy to thoroughly clean high-traffic areas like stairs and doorways. This portable carpet cleaner is small but mighty.
Are you having trouble lifting stains from your carpets and furniture? Do you need a carpet cleaner that’s portable and easy to use?
Perhaps it’s time to consider a portable carpet cleaner, or wet vacuum, to help with your household cleaning needs.
If you’re new to using carpet cleaners, there are many options. From traditional vacuums to full-house carpet shampooers to light-weight spot cleaners, each machine has benefits.
Wet vacuums for spot cleaning are powerful cleaning machines with the suction needed to lift stains and cleaning solutions leaving your carpets almost dry.
Portable carpet cleaner reviews give the Bissell Little Green machine high marks. Read on to find out why.
The tanks are easy to fill and empty and it keeps the clean and dirty water separate.
If you’re in need of a different way to clean your carpets, you probably want more than just a vacuum. Perhaps something that will remove dirt and dust but can also fight stains at the same time.
The Bissell 14259 Little Green ProHeat Portable Carpet Cleaner can do just that. This multipurpose wet vacuum cleans spills, stains, and pet accidents from your carpets and upholstery. Even couches and rugs are no match for this machine.
Its lightweight design and functionality make this cleaning machine easy to take around the house and even up and down stairs without a hassle. The power cord is 15 feet long giving you a wide range of cleaning space, too.
|dimensions||8.2 x 17.2 x 12.5 in|
|power rating||9 amps|
|color||White / green|
|cleaning path||3 in|
|tank capacity||48 oz / 1.4 L|
|hose length||4 feet|
The 4-foot hose is flexible and easy to maneuver, plus the deep stain brush and crevice tool make it possible to fight set-in stains and reach tough corners. With purchase, you’ll also receive a bottle of Bissell 2X Spot and Stain Formula along with a trial size of Bissell Pet Stain and Odor Formula.
The tanks are easy to fill and empty and it keeps the clean and dirty water separate. This Bissell carpet cleaner also has a built-in hot water heater to use the power of heat to get an even deeper clean.
Bissell is regarded by many industry experts as the best carpet cleaner company in the business. Bissell has been around since 1876 and continues to be family owned. Their products range from vacuums to carpet cleaners to sweepers and they only make products of the utmost quality.
The Little Green is great for getting into hard to reach places and is flexible enough to bend around corners and under furniture.
This Bissell Little Green spot cleaner has a lot to offer. Detailed below are a few of the standout qualities that help make this product one of the best portable carpet cleaners this year.
- Wet vacuum cleans deeply using powerful spray and suction: For a deeper clean, this machine uses both water and suction. The Bissell Little Green Proheat has a built-in water heater for even more cleaning power and Bissell 2X Spot and Stain Formula comes with purchase.
- Separate tanks for clean and dirty water storage: The Little Green cleaner has two removable tanks rather than one single tank with a divider to separate clean and dirty water. This design makes it easy to fill up the cleaning water without having to empty the waste. No more hassle when it comes to prep and cleanup.
- Small and portable – weighs in at only 11.6 pounds: Its lightweight design and compact features are one of the best things about this carpet cleaner. It’s easy to maneuver, you can take it easily up and down stairs, and even outside to use in your car.
- Comes with certified shipping for worry-free delivery to your door: It sometimes seems like it can be such a hassle to deal with getting products delivered from online stores. But with Certified Frustration-Free packaging, you’ll get the Bissell Little Green cleaner delivered straight to your door without all the added fuss.
- Flexible hose is 4 feet long and comes with accessories: The Little Green is great for getting into hard to reach places and is flexible enough to bend around corners and under furniture. But not only is it easy to maneuver, it has a tough stain brush for deep-set stains and a crevice tool, both of which have their own built-in storage spots.
- Not a steam cleaner and helps things dry in one step: With steam cleaners, they clean deeply but will leave whatever was just cleaned damp or even fully wet. This Bissell carpet cleaner will still give you an incredibly deep clean using hot water and its powerful suction also leaves carpets and upholstery dryer than the typical home steam carpet cleaning machine.
While this Bissell cleaning machine surely has a lot of great features, there are still some downsides to mention. To get the full picture, take a look at some of the less exciting aspects of this particular carpet shampooer.
- One year warranty but other options are covered for 2 years: Any kind of warranty is a good thing but Bissell only includes a warranty for one year with the Little Green model. Some other carpet cleaners come with longer warranties and you’ll always want to look into what this warranty will actually cover.
- Can be difficult to clean: The hose does not detach for separate cleaning and some users report that the shape of the waste container makes a thorough cleaning difficult. A small brush will do the trick to clean the tank, and to prevent icky messes from accumulating in the hose, use the machine periodically on a clean surface.
- For household use and not recommended as a commercial grade cleaning product: While you will get a much deeper clean than one you might get from a regular vacuum or bottled stain remover, this portable cleaner isn’t recommended as a commercial carpet cleaner. It’s designed for household use.
|Price||Check Price||Check Price||Check Price|
|dimensions||8.2 x 17.2 x 12.5 in||16.5 x 5.5 x 7 in||17.8 x 12.5 x 17.8 in|
|power||15-feet cord||Li-ion battery (4 hours)||15-feet cord|
|power rating||9 amps||7.2 volts||10 amps|
|color||White / green||Grey / green||Red|
|cleaning path||3 in||3 in||4.5 in|
|tank capacity||48 oz / 1.4 L||8 oz / 0.24 L||64 oz / 1.9 L|
|hose length||4 feet||No hose||5.5 feet|
|accessories||3 tools||Not specified||Not specified|
|weight||13 lbs||4.6 lbs||20.2 lbs|
|warranty||1 year||2 years||2 years|
The Bissell 14259 Little Green ProHeat Portable Carpet Cleaner is one of the best carpet stain removal products because of its portability and cleaning ability.
Bissell is one of the leading carpet cleaning companies that boasts over 140 years of business excellence. The company began in Michigan and is still a family owned establishment providing customers with only the highest quality vacuums, carpet cleaners, and sweepers on the market.
The Bissell 14259 Little Green ProHeat Portable Carpet Cleaner is one of the best carpet stain removal products because of its portability and cleaning ability. It uses hot water to lift deep stains while its powerful suction releases dirt and debris.
If you want something to spot clean stains and messes but don’t need a large, full-fledged carpet cleaner, the Little Green portable carpet cleaner is the perfect option. This powerful wet vacuum will leave your carpets, upholstered furniture and even your car stain-free and deeply clean.
Best Portable Carpet Cleaner Buying Guide
A carpet spot cleaner machine is designed to offer both portability and deep cleaning for carpets. These machines most often include a tank(s) where water or a proprietary cleaning solution is present. They are able to remove deep stains, dirt, hairs and other material from carpets.
While a carpet spot remover could be used to clean an entire small carpet, it is at its best when it is used to remove stains, spills or other dirt from particular areas of the carpet.
Vacuum vs. Portable Carpet Spot Cleaner
Using an upright vacuum or a canister vacuum on a carpet is very similar to shaking out a garment when it has some dirt, dust or food on it. But would you treat the shaken garment as clean? Some surface level dirt may have been removed, but it is still not clean.
Only a machine designed to scrub carpet fibers can provide a truly clean carpet, whether it is through hot water or a cleaning solution. While using a portable cleaner to clean wall-to-wall carpeting isn’t feasible, they will do a very good job of removing stains and keeping the carpet looking good.
Wet or Dry Cleaning
Almost all commercial carpet cleaning equipment uses steam and cleaning solution to clean carpets at homes or businesses. Portable carpet cleaners mimic that effect through water and cleaning detergent.
There are other carpet cleaning machines, though, that use dry cleaning which is done through a chemical agent and application solution. These cleaners rely on the solution and aggressive brushing action for a thorough removal of stains, spills and other items from the carpet.
If you are looking to buy a carpet cleaner that relies on water, you have a few options. Some cleaners only require room temperature water and a cleaning solution. Others ask you to add hot water to the tank which is mixed with detergent or a cleaning solution.
There are also portable carpet cleaners that have the ability to heat up the water you add for steam cleaning. Like a steam mop for floors, such cleaners may not require any detergent or cleaning solution, as the steam generated by the machine is enough to remove stains.
A portable carpet and upholstery cleaner would not be very useful if it was too heavy to use. It is important to find a machine that you would be comfortable handling, moving around the house, and using to clean parts of your carpet.
The weight of these machines can vary from 6 to 16 pounds, depending on the model. If you are comfortable handling heavier items, the heaviest portable cleaners should not be an issue. But anyone who is sensitive to lifting and moving heavy objects around should opt for the lightest, top rated carpet cleaner.
Cord or Cordless
The best carpet cleaners that are designed for portability come in two varieties: with a cord and cordless. A corded cleaner will need electricity to run, while the cordless version has a battery.
A cordless cleaner is useful as it can be used anywhere, even if there is no electric outlet nearby. But it will be limited in how long it can run before it needs to be put back on its charger.
If you are planning to opt for a corded machine, you will need to pay attention to the cord length. Most “long reach” models have a 20 or 22-foot long power cord. The length in other models can vary from 10 to 15 feet.
A longer cord is useful as it reduces the number of times you need to switch to a different outlet. Also, for steam models with a boiler switching plugs may require extra time for the water to reheat.
One or Two Tanks
If you want good performance out of a carpet cleaner that relies on water, choosing a model that has two tanks is wise. The first tank is used for the water and cleaning solution, while the second tank takes in the dirty liquid.
A carpet cleaner that only has a single tank would mean you are continuing to clean the carpet with the same dirt that just came off it. And that would not be a very effective process.
The tank size will impact your experience in two ways. Firstly, a larger tank will be heavier, especially if it is filled all the way up. And secondly, a larger tank means that it can hold more water and cleaning solution which usually translates to longer cleaning time.
Tank sizes on portable machines vary, with some having tanks as big as 90 ounces or more. Other models have more modest capacity, in the range of 24 to 32 ounces.
Many of the top rated portable carpet cleaners suggest using specific additives to get the best performance. Some manufacturers have proprietary concentrated shampoos and cleaning solutions that you should use to get out the toughest stains and spills.
But a portable cleaner that uses hot water may not require any additives. Some cleaners can do the job with just hot water, while others only require you to add household detergent for a more thorough cleaning.
Pet Stain Removal
Most high quality models should be able to get pet stains and hair out of your carpet. But a cordless carpet cleaner machine made for pet cleanups is a great option for pet stain removal.
A cordless carpet cleaner for pet stains and odors is more convenient to use as you do not have to plug it in each time your pet has an incident on the carpet. And some do not even require you to add water. So long as these cordless cleaners are filled with the proprietary cleaning solution, you can quickly use them to remove pet stains from your carpets.
Many portable cleaners offer a hands-free option for removing stains, spills and other dirt from your carpet. You simply place the cleaner on the spot where you need cleaning, turn it on and it will do the rest.
When you are ready to clean another spot, move the machine after it has cleaned the initial spot. These machines typically take between three to six minutes to clean a single spot. And the time will be indicated in the machine’s manual.
When assessing carpet cleaner machines for sale, it is important to note the cleaning reach. The corded models often have two modes of cleaning: hands free and hosed cleaning.
The hose is an essential component and you should never buy a corded cleaner that does not include one. A hose of four to five feet is ideal, as it will let you reach corners of your carpet. Like a typical handheld vacuum, cordless models usually do not have a hose as they are very small and can be maneuvered to clean corners.
Portable models can be used on upholstered furniture, depending on the material. Cordless cleaners and corded cleaners with a hose are easy to use in such a manner.
It is always a good idea to check the material of your couches and chairs before cleaning, as you do not want to damage your furniture because of the cleaning solution or steam that is used.
When you are investing money in a portable carpet cleaner, you will want a product that will last for the long term. Buying a model with an extended warranty can be useful, as it means most repairs are covered by the company.
Most models come with a one-year limited warranty, but there are highly rated carpet cleaners that have three to five year warranties. Aside from the length, it is important to read the terms on any limited warranty to know what is covered and to give yourself confidence that you’ve chosen the best portable carpet cleaner for you.
Frequently Asked Questions
If I have a portable carpet cleaner, do I need to use a vacuum on my carpet?
A carpet spot cleaner will deeply clean each area of the carpet where you use it, but it’s best to use a vacuum cleaner first.
Running a corded stick vacuum, cordless stick vacuum or a robot vacuum over your carpet lifts the surface dirt and any small bits of sand (or cat litter) so the spot cleaner can get to work directly on the stain.
Should I get a carpet cleaner that relies on water, hot water or just uses a cleaning solution?
Using a carpet cleaner that uses room temperature or hot water, along with a cleaning solution, will deliver a deeper clean to each spot where the machine is used. But it does mean that areas of your carpet are wet after being cleaned.
A portable cleaner that only uses cleaning solution is good for smaller stains or spills, but may not clean as deeply. And when you are done using such a cleaner, the area of your carpet will be dry.
Are chemicals involved in the cleaning process with portable carpet cleaners?
Yes, most carpet cleaners will use chemicals as part of the process. Some only use a proprietary cleaning solution, while others require you to mix it with water. There are machines that only require household detergent, which can be 100 percent natural if you wish.
Those who want a carpet cleaner that does not use any chemicals will need to purchase a portable model that uses steam cleaning. These machines rely on steam to remove stains, meaning it is a 100 percent chemical-free operation.
Can I use a portable cleaner on an entire room at once?
Yes, if you have a portable cleaner that is corded, it will be able to run continuously until you are done with the whole carpet. But many of these cleaners take anywhere from three to six minutes on each spot before you can move it to the next spot.
If you are planning to clean the carpet in an entire room in one sitting, ensure you have enough time set aside! It could take you anywhere from one to three hours, depending on the size of the carpeted area.
Will my carpet cleaner machine require maintenance?
Yes, every type of portable cleaner will require some type of maintenance. The nature of that maintenance will depend on the kind of cleaner you purchase.
A cleaner that uses water will require you to empty the tank that holds dirty water when it is close to filling up. And the attachments of any portable cleaner may require the occasional cleaning, as bits of dust, dirt and hairs can build up on them over time.
- Carpet Cleaning, Wikipedia
- The Best Portable Carpet and Upholstery Cleaner, The Wirecutter, July 25, 2016
- Top 9 Handheld Carpet Cleaners of 2018, Ezvid Wiki, June 1, 2018
- Best Portable Carpet Cleaner - Reviews, ConsumerSearch.com, April 23, 2018
- Best and Worst Carpet Cleaners From Consumer Reports' Tests, Consumer Reports, June 11, 2018
- The 9 Best Carpet Cleaners to Buy in 2018, The Spruce
- The best portable carpet and upholstery cleaner, Engadget, May 13, 2018
- Portable Carpet Cleaners & Handheld Carpet Cleaners, Bissell
- Carpet Cleaners, Carpet Cleaning Machines, Rug Doctor
- Carpet cleaner, Wikipedia