There are so many myths about cleaning carpets out there that one often ends up wondering, does carpet cleaning work?
Carpeting is an excellent way to enhance the style of your rooms, but how often do you clean your carpets?
- 1 Reasons for Cleaning Your Carpets
- 2 How to Keep Your Carpets Clean
- 3 Tips for Effective Carpet Cleaning
In case you are still wondering, carpet cleaning does work, and there are several reasons to have your carpet cleaned.
Carpeting is a significant investment, and therefore, carpets require great care and cleaning. They tend to get dirty and smelly if you don’t clean them often.
Cleaning carpets regularly removes all kinds of stains and smells from them, leaving them entirely fresh and looking as good as new.
Reasons for Cleaning Your Carpets
Did you know that clean carpets are essential for a healthy lifestyle?
Carpets naturally attract dust, dirt, mold, and numerous other pollutants that adversely affect the quality of air inside your home. As a result, clean carpets are vital for maintaining excellent air quality in your home.
No matter how plush, soft, and clean the carpet in your lounge might appear to be, there is a lot more going on underneath the surface.
All the dirt and debris seeps inside the carpet fibers, often leaving the surface of the carpet spotless. That is why, no matter how clean your carpet looks, you must vacuum and clean it regularly.
The following are some reasons that show why carpet cleaning is important and why you should have your carpets cleaned year-round:
Extends Their Life
The carpets in your home have to take a lot of traffic along with the occasional spill. These can affect their life and durability. This constant wear and tear cause the fibers of the carpet to wear out, making it look dull.
Regular cleaning of your carpet can ensure that the fibers are free from dirt and debris that can wear them out, thus extending your carpet’s life.
Wet or damp carpets are breeding grounds for mold. Deep cleaning your carpet with the help of a portable carpet cleaner is the best way to remove and prevent the growth of mold spores.
Many homeowners have carpeting in their homes to add a touch of style to the overall interior. Cleaning carpets helps enhance their appearance by removing all spots, stains, and smells, giving them a whole new look.
Prevents Allergic Reactions
People who are allergic to dust or dirt will find it very difficult to be around a dirty carpet. The dirt that the carpet has collected will cause them to have allergic reactions. That’s especially true for children.
Having clean carpets ensures freedom from allergens, dust mites, and dirt and creates a safe and healthy space for your kids as well as your house pets.
Creates a Healthier Environment
Carpet fibers trap allergens and dust that eventually find their way into the air, causing many respiratory problems and other health issues. Carpet cleaning promotes a healthier environment by removing these allergens and purifying the air you breathe.
Diminishes Traffic Lane Effects
Certain carpeted areas of your home, such as the lounge, hallways, and kitchen, are subject to increased foot traffic. Those areas are collecting a lot of dirt and dust.
Cleaning your carpets every once in a while helps significantly to reduce these traffic lane effects.
How to Keep Your Carpets Clean
Many people vacuum their carpets every week and think that is enough to clean them. While vacuuming does help remove the visible dirt and dust, you must understand that it doesn’t do the job as well as deep carpet cleaning.
There are numerous carpet cleaning methods out there. Here are the best ones:
Using Carpet Cleaners
A carpet cleaner is also often referred to as a carpet shampooer. This machine aims to remove deeply embedded spots, stains, and dirt marks from your carpet.
A typical carpet cleaner consists of a pump, vacuum suction, and a solution tank. These components work together to deep clean your carpet. Before using the carpet cleaner, you first need to prepare your carpet with a powerful cleaning solution.
A carpet cleaner works by first injecting a mixture of a cleaning solution and water deep into the fibers of your carpet.
The high-powered vacuum suction then extracts the dirty soapy liquid and empties it into an extraction tank that comes with the carpet cleaner.
Some carpet cleaners also have powerful scrubbing brushes that help loosen the stains and dirt from carpet fibers. This process allows the vacuum to suck most of the dirt into the tank.
Carpet cleaners ensure and guarantee proper and efficient removal of stains from carpets. If you want to know how to keep a carpet clean, this is one way of going about it.
For your ease and convenience, you can also invest in a good portable carpet cleaner. You will be able to take it from one room to another without any hassle at all.
Dry Carpet Cleaning
If you don’t own a carpet cleaner or even a vacuum, dry carpet cleaning is another excellent option for you. This process involves the use of specialized machines and a unique system called VLM (Very Low Moisture).
This process thoroughly cleans carpets by removing allergens, grit, stains, pet hair, and sand. The central aspect of dry carpet cleaning is the use of a cleaning powder on your carpet.
A motorized counter rotating brush is used to loosen the carpet fibers to help the powder reach the very base of the carpet. It results in a thorough and deep cleaning of the carpet.
You might be wondering at this point, how often should I deep clean my carpet? According to experts, you should get your carpets professionally cleaned at least once a year.
Deep cleaning your carpet with this frequency is an excellent way of prolonging your carpet’s life.
DIY Cleaning Methods
There is a DIY hack for almost every household chore. Carpet cleaning doesn’t just have one hack; it has many.
These DIY or homemade carpet shampoos can help you keep your carpet clean and fresh. You should know that there are many benefits to shampooing carpets!
Two of the best common kitchen ingredients that you can use to clean your carpets are none other than baking soda and vinegar. The key to using them together is to follow the correct order when mixing them.
Start by pouring a small amount of vinegar on the affected areas followed by a small scoop of baking soda. You will see bubbles form the moment these two ingredients react with each other.
The vinegar helps soften and loosen the stains and marks while the baking soda works on deodorizing them. Once the stain is fully absorbed, rub the mixture off with a damp cloth and allow the carpet to dry.
Tips for Effective Carpet Cleaning
Several carpet cleaning tips will help you keep your carpets spotless, clean, and odor-free.
Some of these come in extremely handy for emergencies, such as an accidental coffee spill on the carpet.
- In case of an accidental spill, blot the spill immediately with a cloth without any delay. Waiting will cause it to dry, which will make it very difficult for you to clean the stain afterward.
- A common carpet cleaning mistake that most people make is that they vacuum too fast. Slow vacuuming allows the machine to penetrate the carpet fibers and thoroughly clean it from within.
- You must always be prepared for sudden stains and marks by having emergency cleaning supplies ready for such times. These include things like baking soda, vinegar, clean cloths, kitchen paper, and a spray water bottle.
- Vacuum your carpets at least once a week to reap the full benefits of carpet cleaning. Vacuuming prevents the accumulation of dust particles and debris within the carpet fibers.
- The best way for removing lingering smells and odors from a carpet is by using a generous amount of baking soda. Baking soda is one of the most effective natural deodorizers and is well-known for removing odors from carpets.
- Get professional steam-cleaning done on your carpets every 12 to 18 months to keep your carpets and home dust-free. The use of steam is an excellent way to zap out all the moisture and dirt from your carpets.
- Shaving cream is considered to be one of the best carpet cleaners for almost all types of general stains. Make sure you have some lying around at all times.
- Stubborn greasy stains are successfully removed with the help of a grease-cutting dishwashing detergent that effectively cuts through the stains and softens them. The key is to apply the detergent on the grease and then blot it up.
- Wet carpets attract mold and mildew, so after every carpet cleaning session, allow the carpet to dry thoroughly for a few hours, or preferably overnight. Open all the windows and fans or use a dehumidifier if you want.