After 39 hours spent researching the best cat cones, we think AllFourPaws The Comfy Cone Soft Recovery Cat Cone is the best for most people.
This choice is based on several criteria: brand, type, size, color, design, material, closure, padded neckline, water resistant, foldable, stress-free, see-through, comfortable, stylish, and easy cleaning, among other things.
|Product||Price||Overall Rating||Quality||Durability||Appearance||Maintenance||Value for Money||brand||type||size||color||design||material||closure||padded neckline||water resistant||foldable||stress-free||see-through||comfortable||stylish||easy cleaning|
|AllFourPaws The Comfy Cone Soft Recovery Cat Cone||Check Price||4.8||5.0||4.5||4.5||5.0||5.0||All Four Paws||Fabric cone||4.33 to 14.37 in||Black, tan||Plain||Nylon||Velcro||Yes||Yes||Yes||Yes||No||Yes||Yes||Yes|
|AnnaEye Recovery E-Collar Comfortable Cat Cone||Check Price||4.9||5.0||5.0||4.5||5.0||5.0||Anna Eye||Fabric cone||7 to 7.8 in||Blue, pink, rainbow||Flower||Microfiber||Velcro||Yes||Yes||Yes||Yes||No||Yes||Yes||Yes|
|SunGrow Cute Stress-Free Comfy Durable Cat Cone||Check Price||4.6||5.0||4.5||4.0||5.0||4.5||SunGrow||Soft cone||7-9 to 12-14 in||Pink, black||Dotted||Microfiber||Velcro||Yes||Yes||Yes||Yes||No||Yes||Yes||Yes|
|Petbaba Soft Padded E-Collar Recovery Cat Cone||Check Price||4.4||5.0||4.5||4.0||4.0||4.5||Petbaba||Plastic cone||5-6 to 6-9 in||Blue, pink||Transparent||Plastic||Button||Yes||Yes||Yes||Yes||Yes||Yes||Yes||Yes|
|Bolbove Clear Soft Edge Recovery Cat Cone||Check Price||4.3||4.5||4.0||4.5||4.0||4.5||Bolbove||Plastic cone||5.5-7 to 7.2-9.5 in||Blue, red, pink||Transparent||Plastic||Button||Yes||Yes||Yes||Yes||Yes||Yes||Yes||Yes|
- Selection Of The Best Cat Cones
- Best Cat Cone Buying Guide
- Frequently Asked Questions
When a cat has had surgery or suffered an injury of some sort, it’s essential to have the best cat cone on hand to protect them.
Cat cones are easier to come by than ever, and having one or two on hand can be a big deal for cat owners.
Watching your kitten grow into a cat is quite the experience. First, they’re eating kitten food, learning how to walk with a cat harness and cat leash, and learning how to use the cat litter box and clean their feet on the cat litter mat.
As they grow up, you’ll want to take advantage of all the new high-tech stuff, like a cat water fountain, an automatic cat litter box, and an automatic cat feeder. And, of course, you’ll buy them a comfy cat bed, a cat scratching post or cat scratching pad, and a cat tree to lounge in. What else could a cat want?
Well, yes – a cat toy or two filled with catnip is a must, but it’s not all about fun and games. Visits to the vet can be tough; they need to go in their cat cage or cat carrier, put on their cat collar, and then sit through the drive. They may need a cat flea treatment while there, take care of an injury, or even get neutered or spayed.
That’s where things can get rough – your cat will likely need the best cat cone that you can find so that they don’t irritate the wound. You need some great cat cone advice so you get one that’s comfortable and effective.
And don’t forget to have your feline friend’s favorite cat food or treat ready when you get home from the vet’s office. You’ll need to get on their good side again.
Selection Of The Best Cat Cones
Here are the best cat cones for most people according to Outlinist:
There’s a reason they call it the cat cone of shame, but for pet owners, we know it’s actually the cone of safety.
The only reason we put those horrible, white, plastic cones on our cats is to keep them safe and allow them the fastest recovery possible.
Pet owners often use a cat cone after a spay or neuter, but any time your cat has surgery, requires stitches, or has a wound, they will require a cone.
Unfortunately, your cat can still lick with a cone and this is exactly what you don’t want.
The more reliable the cone, the better and faster your cat can recover.
This cone is also uniquely water resistant and repellent. It is made with high quality foam-backed, padded nylon, with a reflective binding.
We get it, your cat hates their cone collar. If you can find the ideal one for them however, you might just have a temporarily satisfied feline. It’s simple: you and your cat will love AllFourPaws The Comfy Cone Soft Recovery Cat Cone.
This cone, or e-collar, comes in a variety of sizes, ranging from extra small (11 centimeters), to extra-extra large (36.5 centimeters), so big or small, you can find a cone that fits your cat, or even kitten, best. It is important to measure your cat’s head before purchasing this product for correct sizing.
This AllFourPaws e-collar also features a black option and a tan one. There are Velcro closures that loop at the neck to carefully thread your cat’s head through. Unlike typical cones, this model has plastic support stays that are removable, but can add structure when needed.
|brand||All Four Paws|
|size||4.33 to 14.37 in|
This cone is also uniquely water resistant and repellent. It is made with high quality foam-backed, padded nylon, with a reflective binding. The Comfy Cone is also reversible inside-out and front-to-back and contours easily when walking through doorways.
Your vet might hand out regular, plastic cones, but they highly recommend this one. The AllFourPaws cone is veterinarian tested and recommended, so you’re not changing the function of the protective e-collar, just the quality.
This cone is unlike other cat cones, with more features, benefits, and uses. If your cat seemed depressed, irritable, or uncomfortable with previous cat cones, this one will not disappoint. You can keep safety on your mind while your cat keeps comfort on theirs.
With this cone, the little bit of plastic it does have is removable to provide structure when your cat needs it and flexibility when they don’t.
Caring for a cat with an Elizabethan collar just got easier. This cat cone has countless benefits that will make it seem like your cat is taking care of itself. For benefits you may not have even considered before, AllFourPaws makes recovery that much better with their Comfy Cone.
- Flexible material: If there’s one thing that flexible means to your cat, it’s comfort. This e-collar is made of unique foam-padded nylon, reinforced with plastic stays. The material contours with your cat allowing them to eat and drink freely, while still keeping their wounds safe.
- Water-resistant: You never knew how much you needed a water- resistant cat cone until now. In fact this cone is water resistant and repellant, making it easy to wipe off food, dirt, and stray bits of litter. Waterproof means it can also last for several booboos to come.
- Reduces anxiety: The opaque material completely blocks out any light, unlike the faded, yet slightly translucent ones given to you by your vet. This means shadows and other objects will not be disfigured, therefore reducing stress and anxiety.
- Veterinarian approved: If you are going to use an alternative cat cone, be sure that it is veterinarian recommended first. This AllFourPaws cone is highly approved by vets for its flexible, comfortable, and humane design.
- Ideal design: With most other cones, it’s plastic and you don’t get a choice. With this cone, the little bit of plastic it does have is removable to provide structure when your cat needs it and flexibility when they don’t. In addition, it is surrounded with a reflective banding, making it safer for your cat to walk around at night and still be seen.
- Soundproof: The only thing more difficult than your cat wearing the cone of shame, is listening to them bump into everything, and the echoing sound typical plastic cones make. Since this e-collar is made of a softer, more flexible material, you won’t hear them making quite as much noise.
It is important to know the cons of every product, although we’ll admit that this cat cone only has a few. Comparatively it is still high-quality and highly recommended by vets, with only a few drawbacks.
- Might have too much wiggle room: There’s no doubt that this cone is more flexible than typical e-collars, giving your cat more wiggle room. This might be a good thing to your cat, but it increases the potential to lick their wounds.
- Sizing options: Sometimes there is such a thing as too much of a good thing. While most people appreciate so many sizing options, it may still be difficult to find the exact right size. Although the solution could be as simple as exchanging it for a new size, this can be cumbersome.
- Flips backwards easily: Although it’s handy to be able to easily flip the cone back for meal times, this e-collar is easily flipped by the cat – whether intentionally or not. This may pose a potential safety risk for your pet.
|Price||Check Price||Check Price||Check Price|
|brand||All Four Paws||Anna Eye||SunGrow|
|type||Fabric cone||Fabric cone||Soft cone|
|size||4.33 to 14.37 in||7 to 7.8 in||7-9 to 12-14 in|
|color||Black, tan||Blue, pink, rainbow||Pink, black|
There’s a good chance that your cat needs to wear a cone more than once in their lifetime, so a reusable, durable, high-quality cat cone like the AllFourPaws is an ideal investment.
AllFourPaws The Comfy Cone Soft Recovery Cat Cone is exactly that, a comfy cone. Even your cat never would have guessed that those two words could go together, but now they can.
There’s a good chance that your cat needs to wear a cone more than once in their lifetime, so a reusable, durable, high-quality cat cone like the AllFourPaws is an ideal investment. Even if wearing an e-collar seems only temporary, the right cone can increase safety while reducing stress for both you and your cat.
With this cat cone, your cat will be able to perform all of its daily tasks with ease. They might even forget they’re wearing a cone at all.
If you’re a cat owner, a cone is nothing more than a four letter word. If you’re a cat, the cone might be the closest thing to torture.
Although we know you’re simply trying to do the best for your cat, your cat just doesn’t see it that way.
Fortunately, if you put a little extra thought into choosing your cat cone, you might end up with a happy cat.
Your cat will most likely need a cone or an e-collar at one point in their life. Wearing a cat cone after surgery or during recovery is often necessary to protect the sensitive area, or for other behaviors.
Cones make it difficult to perform their everyday tasks such as licking, eating, drinking, and lounging, until now.
It is rare to find a cat with a cone drinking water, eating, or sleeping comfortably, but this e-collar makes it possible.
If you’ve taken your cat to the vet for surgery, the vet has most likely been helpful enough to provide you with a cat cone, free of charge. The problem? It’s plastic, it’s rough, it’s inflexible, and most of all, it’s uncomfortable for your cat.
The solution for you and your cat is the AnnaEye Recovery E-Collar Comfortable Cat Cone. Unlike typical models, this cat cone is soft and lightweight, but still durable enough to protect your cat. You can try and use a cone provided by the vet for one treatment which will most likely make the cat thoroughly uncomfortable, or you can make an investment in a product that you can wash and reuse for booboos to come.
This AnnaEye e-collar comes in two sizes, 7″ and 7.8″, and is designed for smaller cats, so be sure to measure your cat’s neck and head before purchase. The Velcro makes it easy to adjust and the flower petal design is just plain cute. Not to mention it comes in three unique colors: pink, sky blue, and rainbow.
|size||7 to 7.8 in|
|color||Blue, pink, rainbow|
It is rare to find a cat with a cone drinking water, eating, or sleeping comfortably, but this e-collar makes it possible. The parts of the cone can bend when your cat needs to perform these functions, but remains stiff enough to prevent them from licking.
As with any cat cone, it is important to monitor your cat for the first few hours while wearing it. Cats have been known to remove, adjust or flip cones while unattended. This is a risk for your cat to potentially infect their wounds, and could be a detriment to your wallet – returning to the vet is no fun and equally as costly.
After that, you can rest assured that this e-collar will help your cat stay heathy, safe, and comfortable.
Recommended by vets and non-profit animal rescuers, this cat cone is a humane alternative and safe method to prevent your cat from licking their stitches or aggravating a wound.
Surely you’ve never taken the time to think about how much you could love an Elizabethan collar for cats, but you will now. This unique protective cone is designed with your cat in mind, to provide all the benefits you want without the grievances your cat doesn’t.
- Adjustable fit: While most every cat cone is adjustable, those white, plastic cones from the vet just never seem to fit. This AnnaEye e-collar has three Velcro straps to create the perfect size for your unique pet. This keeps your cat safe and prevents the cone from being removed.
- Flexible material: One of the worst things about stiff cat cones is eating; they make it difficult for a cat to crouch down and reach their food comfortably. This unique cone is flexible, unlike typical vet cones, so that the petals can bend, adjust, and move while your cat may be eating or drinking.
- Unique design: The white, plastic cone is truly a cone of shame; it’s uncomfortable, cumbersome, and let’s not forget hideous. With the AnnaEye e-collar, the flower petal design is just so adorable that you might even convince your cat they like it.
- Humane alternative: Recommended by vets and non-profit animal rescuers, this cat cone is a humane alternative and safe method to prevent your cat from licking their stitches or aggravating a wound.
- Machine washable: There’s no doubt after a few days or weeks of wearing a cone, it’s bound to get dirty, sticky, and just plain gross. Unlike other cat cones, this one is machine washable and easily air-dried; so no more mess.
- Durable: If your cat is rowdy (or determined) enough, they just might be able to rip or tear that white, Elizabethan cat collar from the vet. This e-collar, however, is made of durable, washable material, so you can use it for years.
You might not have been able to ask the vet what the cons are about their cat collar, but we can share a few with you. Your cat might try to convince you that lack of comfort is a con, but since that isn’t an issue with the AnnaEye, there are only a few others that are.
- Able to be flipped: Although some people find this to be a pro, if you do not want your cat flipping their cone backwards or inside out, this may become a safety issue or a nuisance.
- Only intended for small cats: If you have a large cat that weighs over 12 pounds, this cat collar will not work. It is only intended for small cats. Be sure to measure your cat as well, because in some cases a maladjusted fit can allow the cat to still lick.
- Changes peripheral vision: While the white cones you receive from the vet are not completely clear, they do not have a big impact on a cat’s vision. Given that the AnnaEye is made of material that is not opaque, your cat may lose some of their peripheral vision.
|Price||Check Price||Check Price||Check Price|
|brand||Anna Eye||All Four Paws||SunGrow|
|type||Fabric cone||Fabric cone||Soft cone|
|size||7 to 7.8 in||4.33 to 14.37 in||7-9 to 12-14 in|
|color||Blue, pink, rainbow||Black, tan||Pink, black|
A cat cone should be comfortable as it is functional for the best results and the fastest recovery for your cat.
The AnnaEye Recovery E-Collar Comfortable Cat Cone is one of a kind. Most manufacturers never think twice about something so simple that is used on their pets temporarily, but AnnaEye has your cat in mind.
A cat cone should be comfortable as it is functional for the best results and the fastest recovery for your cat. With its unique comfortable design, a cat can do all its daily tasks without getting depressed or frustrated.
If your vet could give out these soft, flexible Elizabethan collars for free, we’re sure they would.
A cat cone is definitely not your feline’s preferred accessory, but anytime they have a wound that cannot be licked, a cone is necessary.
We’ve all seen the classic, white, plastic cones handed out by vets, complimentary after any procedure. They usually don’t bother us, but your cat will be less than thrilled.
You’ve probably never really considered it before, you simply put the cone on and the work is done. But next time you should ask yourself: what happens if my cat licks his stitches?
A cat’s saliva is not helpful for cleaning a wound. A cat licking their stitches after spaying or neutering can lead to infection or other complications.
So, some cat cone advice: choose the right cone.
Typical e-collars make it difficult for a cat to perform its daily habits, especially eating and lounging.
With the SunGrow Cute Stress-Free Comfy Durable Cat Cone, you won’t need to coax and convince a cat to wear it. This is because this fashionable, unique, cat collar is more comfortable than your cat ever expected.
Forget the lampshade or Elizabethan style cat cones of the past, the SunGrow is a cute, soft, and flexible option that allows your cat to move more freely than ever. You don’t want your cat licking their stitches, but they do need to eat.
Typical e-collars make it difficult for a cat to perform its daily habits, especially eating and lounging. But this collar will lie in any position your cat does. It also features loop type wrist closure fasteners that make adjusting easy.
|size||7-9 to 12-14 in|
This cat cone comes in a stylish pink polka dot color. It is 9- 10 inches and comes in the comfy cone style or Velcro fastener style. Both will allow you to create the ideal circumference for your cat’s head.
The SunGrow is made of a soft, washable, water resistant fabric and doesn’t block a cat’s peripheral vision. It is padded with foam for ideal comfort, but is also bite-resistant. This increases the durability of the product.
This protective cone is vet recommended, but if they could, cats would recommend it too. If you thought your cat only had one choice when it comes to their cat cone, think again. The SunGrow is a humane alternative to the complimentary white cones you receive, and what’s a few dollars spent on something that will increase your cat’s happiness?
By reducing biting and licking more effectively, your cat can have a faster recovery.
Not all e-collars for cats are created equal, and you’ll love the SunGrow cat cone even more than others. If you’ve noticed your cat depressed while wearing a cone, now is the time to try a new option. This one has added benefits you didn’t even know you needed.
- Cost effective: You definitely don’t want your cat licking their wounds for their safety, but what about for the cost? If your cat is able to lick, infect, or re-open their wounds, this mean more trips to the vet for you. This cat cone prevents them from biting or licking their wounds again, saving you money.
- Maximum visibility: The shape and design of this collar actually prevents any vision blockage whatsoever. It may not be made of a translucent material, but it does lay in such a way that your cat can see at all times.
- Soft, cute design: Your cat will love that they can move around and especially sleep easily with this cat collar, but you’ll love that the cute fabric design makes them Instagram-ready, because let’s face it, even a cat cone won’t stop you from posting on the gram.
- Water-resistant: Eating, drinking, using the litter – any cone is guaranteed to get dirty. That’s why you want an e-collar that is water-resistant to avoid water and other sticky messes. This SunGrow cone is easily wiped clean no matter what your cat gets into.
- Encourages faster recovery: By reducing biting and licking more effectively, your cat can have a faster recovery. With other cones, if they are successfully able to still lick their wounds, healing time can be prolonged, making your cat wear their cone for longer than you or they want to.
- Adjustable fit: This cat cone collar is easily adjustable using its loop type wrist fasteners or Velcro. This means you can customize your cat collar to your cat’s exact shape and size, so that the cone is not removed, damaged, or compromised in any way. A cone that does not fit reduces its effectiveness.
For your cat, wearing the cone of shame is a con in itself, but this might be the least of your concerns. If you’re looking for an upgrade to the typical cone your vet provides, you want to purchase a product you can trust; which means less cons and more pros. Fortunately, the SunGrow has just a few.
- Removable: In some cases, depending on the ferocity of your feline, the SunGrow cat cone has been able to be removed. This is exactly what you do not want to happen. The cone needs to fit securely, especially when your cat is left unattended.
- Too flexible: While soft is comfortable for your cat, the SunGrow might feature too much of a good thing. Since it is made of only fabric and foam, if your cat has Houdini-like skills, they might be able to maneuver themselves into licking their bodies, even with the cone on.
- Only one size: This cat cone is only designed for small cats. There is only one size available, so if you have a larger cat, this product may not be the best choice.
|Price||Check Price||Check Price||Check Price|
|brand||SunGrow||All Four Paws||Anna Eye|
|type||Soft cone||Fabric cone||Fabric cone|
|size||7-9 to 12-14 in||4.33 to 14.37 in||7 to 7.8 in|
|color||Pink, black||Black, tan||Blue, pink, rainbow|
We know your vet only has your cat’s safety in mind, but now you don’t have to sacrifice comfort for safety.
If your cat needs a cat cone, don’t just settle for any cone. The SunGrow Cute Stress-Free Comfy Durable Cat Cone is the perfect alternative to those rigid vet cones.
We know your vet only has your cat’s safety in mind, but now you don’t have to sacrifice comfort for safety. The soft fabric and foam design of the SunGrow cone makes it safe and comfy, giving you and your cat the best of both worlds.
Removing or licking away their stitches can be dangerous for your cat and dangerous on your wallet. Neither of you wants a visit back to the vet. So do the right thing the first time and make sure their cat collar is 100% effective.
If you have a cat that has had an injury or surgery, then you know how important it is for them to wear a cat cone to keep them from licking their wound while it’s healing.
Given that most cats really dislike cones, you may need to get them adjusted to it and make the experience more comfortable.
Cones, often called e-collars, can be provided by your vet after surgery or if one is needed to prevent certain behaviors.
However, the cones provided are often made of uncomfortable plastic that can scratch and cause your cat discomfort.
If you want to make sure that your kitty is as comfortable and happy as possible while wearing a cat cone, soft material is what you need.
The cone is a great choice for cats that are picky, but you may need to work with your cat to help them adjust to wearing the e-collar during their recovery.
The Petbaba Soft Padded E-Collar Recovery Cat Cone is an excellent choice for a cat cone after neutering or other surgery.
It’s made from lightweight PVC that gives your cat the best view of the world possible and allows them to be comfortable while wearing it.
The collar is padded around the neckline as well as around the edges, so your cat can bump into you or anything in the house without having plastic dig into their neck and cause pain. The cushioned edges give more protection from scratches that can occur with traditional cones and their hard plastic edges.
|size||5-6 to 6-9 in|
The cone is a great choice for cats that are picky, but you may need to work with your cat to help them adjust to wearing the e-collar during their recovery. Some pets get used to the cone quickly while others can take some time getting adjusted.
Because the cone is so lightweight and made of clear material, your cat may have an easier time moving around the home and being comfortable in this cone. Be sure to ask your vet how to successfully get through cone desensitization in order to reduce stress on your cat.
If a cat is going to be needing surgery or grooming at some point in the future, it is recommended that you start desensitization training at least a few weeks ahead of time. This allows the cat to get used to performing their daily routine with the cone so that when they have to wear it, they aren’t fearful, depressed, or aggressive.
The cat cone collar materials used are very lightweight, so your cat can run around and play to their heart’s content.
This Petbaba Elizabethan collar for cats performs its job well when it comes to keeping pets safe and protected from injuring or causing harm to themselves while recovering from surgery or injuries. But there are other benefits that come with this cat cone.
- Cleaning is easy: One of the common problems with cones is how dirty they can get when your pet eats, drinks, or goes outside. Even the litter box may become hazardous, but the Petbaba is easy to clean and maintain – just wipe it down and you’ll be good to go.
- Cats are comfortable even while sleeping: If you’re in need of a soft cone for cats, this is the best option for you. This cone is comfortable and very soft, so your kitty will feel comfortable playing, eating, and even sleeping in the cone. This is imperative, as removing the cone may not be an option and your pet’s comfort is important.
- Lightweight so it doesn’t bother pets: The cat cone collar materials used are very lightweight, so your cat can run around and play to their heart’s content. There’s no worry of them hurting their neck or being less active due to any discomfort or added weight.
- Your cat gets a full view of the world: Many times, cones cannot be seen through by you or your cat. This can result in a lot of confusion and your cat may not enjoy not being able to see their surroundings. The Petbaba cone is made of see through PVC, allowing your cat to see the world and feel more at ease.
- Padded edges and neckline: Don’t you just hate when your pet is wearing a plastic cat cone and it scratches your legs each time they pass by? The edges on this cone are soft, so you won’t have any scratches when your cat wants some attention. The neck is padded as well, so bumping into things won’t hurt your pet.
- Versatile: The Petbaba is not just for protecting your cat after they’ve injured themselves or gotten surgery. You can also use it to groom rowdy cats and keep them from getting in the way or causing any harm while you work on them.
Your cat deserves the best, so it’s important to know what could go wrong with anything you throw their way. The Petbaba cone is a versatile, well-made product, but like anything else it has a few drawbacks to take into consideration.
- Limited adjustability: The range of adjustment on the Petbaba is very small, with only an inch of adjustable length on the smaller cone option and 3 inches on the larger cone option. This can cause problems for owners that don’t know exactly how to size their cat and may get the wrong size. You can replace them with ease, getting a bigger size for your kitty if needed.
- Cats can still reach certain areas: If your cat has an injury or has had to get surgery on their behind area, the cone may not prevent them from reaching this part of their body. This could result in them licking at the wound and potentially facing some problems while healing.
- Cloth materials may become soaked: While the padded edges are great for comfort, they can be a hassle when your pet drinks water. The cloth soaks up moisture, so you may end up needing to dry the cone before letting them jump all over the place and ruin the furniture.
|Price||Check Price||Check Price||Check Price|
|brand||Petbaba||All Four Paws||Anna Eye|
|type||Plastic cone||Fabric cone||Fabric cone|
|size||5-6 to 6-9 in||4.33 to 14.37 in||7 to 7.8 in|
|color||Blue, pink||Black, tan||Blue, pink, rainbow|
The neckline is padded, so your cat won’t hurt themselves doing daring jumps or leaps.
Petbaba has done a great job at making an e-collar alternative that allows your cat to see and be comfortable while they’re recovering. With this cone, eating and performing other activities is natural and easy for your kitty.
The Petbaba Soft Padded E-Collar Recovery Cat Cone is comfortable and lightweight, allowing your cat to move as they normally would and even sleep just as comfortably as they would without the cone. The neckline is padded, so your cat won’t hurt themselves doing daring jumps or leaps.
Your legs are also protected from the sharp edges of conventional hard plastic cat cones, so you’ll enjoy this collar just as much as your cat will.
Caring for a cat that needs to wear a cat cone can be a struggle. Your cat wants their freedom, but sometimes they will need an e-collar to keep them protected and prevent health issues and injuries.
Your vet may provide a cat cone after surgery, but the hard plastic options vets usually have can be uncomfortable for your cat.
A quality cone should allow your pet to live their life comfortably with as few interruptions to their routine as possible.
Your cat can still lick with a cone, but they will be a bit restricted in the areas that they can reach.
Your vet may recommend a cone after neutering or other surgery, or if they have allergies or other issues that cause them to lick or scratch themselves excessively.
It is comfortable and soft, allowing your cat to eat, drink, use the litter box, and sleep with no issues.
Your cat’s comfort while recovering from an injury or surgery is important, but a cone can also be used for everyday issues, such as excessive licking or scratching. These collars are known as e-collars, and can be used in several scenarios to keep your cat safe.
The Bolbove Clear Soft Edge Recovery Cat Cone is one of the best options when it comes to an e-collar alternative for your kitty.
It is comfortable and soft, allowing your cat to eat, drink, use the litter box, and sleep with no issues. It’s also clear and lightweight, so your cat can see their surroundings and won’t have any added weight to carry.
|size||5.5-7 to 7.2-9.5 in|
|color||Blue, red, pink|
If you don’t know how to put a cone on a cat, then it is recommended that you speak with your veterinarian and discuss safe ways to put the collar on your pet and learn cone desensitization methods which keep your cat from becoming scared or stressed when introducing the cone.
To desensitize your cat, you should reward them whenever they go to the cone and sniff or interact with it in a neutral or positive way. Keep it in their vicinity and reward them whenever they come in contact with it. Over time, you can start attempting to place the cone on your cat and then taking it off.
Treats are an excellent way to keep your cat motivated and encourage the use of a cat collar. You should try to start training as soon as you schedule a surgery or when your cat shows signs of injuring themselves and may be in need of a cone.
The Bolbove folds flat so that you can store it while not in use, keeping it close whenever you need it and out of sight when you don’t.
Your cat’s comfort is the ultimate goal when picking a cat e-collar. There are several factors you should look at, and many of the features of the Bolbove cone make caring for a cat with an Elizabethan collar easy.
- Three settings to adjust the sizing: With some collars, you may not be able to adjust the size and make sure it fits your cat comfortably. With the Bolbove, you have three different snap settings that you can adjust so that your pet has enough room to maneuver with ease.
- Soft edges for extreme comfort: The neckline is padded to give your kitty extra comfort while wearing the cone. The outside edges are also covered in plush padding, so you won’t have to worry about painful scratches if your kitty bumps into you or guests while wearing the cone.
- Mesh for unobstructed vision: This cone is mesh, allowing your kitty to have a full view of the world instead of having a blocked out space around their entire head. It makes the experience less stressful and allows a cat to feel more comfortable in their surroundings.
- Folds flat to be put away: With a conventional cone, you may not be able to fold it and put it away effectively. The Bolbove folds flat so that you can store it while not in use, keeping it close whenever you need it and out of sight when you don’t.
- Comes in several cute colors: Granted, your cat probably won’t care, but being able to choose the color of post-surgical clothing for a cat is a nice option for you. The Bolbove comes in cherry red, a bluish-aqua color and the perfect pink for kittens.
- Stays securely attached: One common problem that comes with cat cones is that they tend to be able to be unsnapped and become undone while your pet is wearing it. The Bolbove has firm snaps that cannot be removed if you try to use one hand, so it stays sturdy and secure on your pet.
Cat cones may be a simple device, but they still need to meet certain standards and be able to function in certain ways. The Bolbove is a very good choice, but it does have some features that could be improved.
- Protection may not be complete: When your cat is laying at a certain angle, or when the fabric flattens in the front, they’ll be able to reach parts of its body that you may not want it to. This could potentially allow your pet to reach their back feet as well as their tail and face, which may be an issue for recovering cats.
- Cone soaks up water while drinking: An issue with this cone, as well as with many other models, is that it can become soaked with water when your cat drinks from their bowl. This can be an issue when your cat uses the litter box or roams the home with a soaking cone. It can become dirtier much quicker and will also be heavier for your cat to bear.
- Sizing runs a bit small: This cone is meant for smaller breeds and kittens, so larger cats may need a different size if you want them to fit the cone comfortably and safely. Measure your cat’s neck with a soft tape measure or string before making a purchase.
|Price||Check Price||Check Price||Check Price|
|brand||Bolbove||All Four Paws||Anna Eye|
|type||Plastic cone||Fabric cone||Fabric cone|
|size||5.5-7 to 7.2-9.5 in||4.33 to 14.37 in||7 to 7.8 in|
|color||Blue, red, pink||Black, tan||Blue, pink, rainbow|
This cone is made of lightweight materials and has a soft plush outer coating that keeps you and your cat comfortable.
If you’re interested in getting your cat a high-quality protective e-collar that allows them to eat and drink as well as do all of their regular activities, then you should consider the Bolbove Clear Soft Edge Recovery Cat Cone.
This cone is made of lightweight materials and has a soft plush outer coating that keeps you and your cat comfortable. It’s also ideal for smaller cats, so kittens can get the best protection possible while wearing it.
Be sure to make your cat comfortable with the collar first, as they could become stressed or scared if they’re not used to wearing one. With this cat cone, your pet will be much happier and friendlier during their recovery.
Best Cat Cone Buying Guide
Some cat cones are much bigger than others. You want to be sure that you get one that fits them really well. It needs to be snug around the neck, without causing pain or stress.
Be certain that you purchase a cone, or “e-collar” as they’re often called, that they can’t pull off easily, even when you aren’t around to keep track of everything that is going on with it.
The most common type of cone that is available is the hard plastic option. These are what you’ll usually get if you just allow the vet to give you one, and they’re the most prevalent type that you’ll find online. They’re often the most affordable option as well.
Plastic cones are cheap, but they are uncomfortable and your cat will likely have some difficulty. Some cats may also be allergic to the material, so you want to be careful of that.
Foam (“Soft”) Cones
When you’re exploring your options for a cat cone, soft models are a solid choice. “Soft” cones usually have some sort of foam as a base, and then the foam is completely covered in fabric.
Soft e-collars are really popular nowadays. They come in every size imaginable, many are adjustable, and they aren’t as large and awkward as many of the other cones that you may see. They usually provide just enough width so a cat can’t get its mouth to the wound area.
Fabric E Collars
Fabric cones are usually just as large as plastic options, but they’re a lot more flexible (because they don’t have the foam base you find in soft cones). These are a lot more comfortable than many of the other choices you may find.
Whether you choose a towel e collar for cats made from cotton or a nylon one, just be sure that it doesn’t have too much “give” with it. Otherwise, you may find that the cat has a little more access to the wound than you’d like.
Lastly, you have inflatable cones. These have a similar makeup to soft e-collars, but they have some sort of inflatable material inside of the plastic, rather than foam.
As the name suggests, you inflate the cone so that it makes a barrier around the cat’s neck. An inflatable cat cone is quite soft, but still firm, so the cat is comfortable without feeling constrained.
Will It Stay On Kitty?
As mentioned earlier, the fit plays a role in whether your cat will keep the collar on – but there are some other things that you need to think about as well.
Does it provide space where your cat could get their paws in, or where it could get caught on something so that the cat could wiggle its way out? These are other considerations that you may need to explore. Some e collar training may be necessary to prevent this sort of behavior, too.
Can My Cat Move Easily?
You don’t want the e-collar to be something that makes it hard for cats to get from point A to point B on a regular basis. You want it to be big enough to do its job, but not so wide that it inhibits movement.
This is why inflatable and soft e-collars are especially popular – they usually don’t cause cats to get stuck, and they’re also able to eat and drink pretty freely as well.
Prevention of Wound Access
When you watch cat cone behavior, it’s common that they may try to get to the wound, stitches, bandages, or whatever other issue that you’re trying to prevent them from accessing.
So, you want to be sure that the e-collar you get is one that doesn’t allow that at all. Watch your cat when it’s in the cone and make sure that they aren’t quite as flexible in accessing different areas of their body.
Your cat likely won’t care too much about the color of its e-collar, but you may. Nowadays, we’re done with the plain white or clear plastic cones that look like you took a lampshade and put it around a cat’s head.
Instead, cones come in many colors, patterns, and styles, which allows you to help your cat feel a little less humiliated about wearing the “cone of shame”. You can get it in your favorite color, or get it in a color that doesn’t stand out too much (grey, brown, black, etc.).
Can you make the cone bigger or smaller based on what a cat needs? Your cat may gain or lose weight over time, and you want to be sure to have a way to adjust it in case of those changes in the size of their neck.
If you have multiple cats, you may also want to consider adjustability so that you don’t need to buy a different cone for every cat. If there are drastic differences in size between your cats, you may need to have multiple cones anyway.
While cats aren’t known for being very fond of water, they may interact with it as they’re drinking or just going through their day to day activities.
You don’t want the cone to soak through if they accidentally dip a part of it into the water bowl – that could be uncomfortable for the cat and it can make a mess. Water resistance is essential, because it rolls right off instead of soaking through.
When you check out the different sorts of cat cones that you have to choose from, you’ll find that you can read reviews about them and how safe they are for felines.
Safety ratings will differ based on the type of cone, but they usually take a few things into account, including ease of motion, whether or not the kitty will get stuck while in the e-collar, and whether or not allergic reactions occur due to the material used.
Type of Fasteners
When you’re putting the cone onto the cat, how does it stay on? Some cones stay on just because of their design. Inflatable models, for example, can slip on easily and then you just inflate them, and that’s what keeps them on.
Other e-collars are going to have fasteners available. Most use some sort of Velcro or belt system to fasten and secure the cone onto your pet. Find a cone with safe, secure fasteners and you’ll be good to go.
Heavy cones can be really problematic for cats, especially if they’re active cats that like to move around a lot. Obviously, they should not be quite as active if they’ve sustained an injury, but you still don’t want to cause problems in this manner.
A heavy cone can also cause your furry friend to have some immense pain in their neck or back. Uneven weight distribution is painful and could also affect their balance over time, if you aren’t careful with it.
Price is going to depend on a lot of factors, from what type of cone you get, to what size, to what fabric and/or materials you choose for it. There are a lot of choices nowadays, so take advantage of that.
Take some time to shop around and see what’s out there. It’ll make it a lot easier for you to find the best cat cone possible so that your furry friend can be taken care of during their recovery.
Frequently Asked Questions
How can my cat drink and eat with a cone on?
It depends. Sometimes, you’ll find a cat with cone drinking water and eating food without too many issues. In other cases, they may need some help to make sure it happens.
Keep an eye on them for the first 24 hours to see how they adapt to eating and/or drinking. If they have problems, then you want to be sure to either put some food or drink in an elevated spot where they don’t have to tilt their head so far. You may also need to take it off so they can eat or drink easily.
Can you suggest any e collar alternatives?
In some cases, a cat cone can be problematic. You may find that a cat becomes very depressed or they just don’t act like they usually do.
In those instances, a cat cone alternative may be something to consider and explore. Children’s clothing can be some of the best options available. Whether it’s a baby’s onesie or a small shirt, you can put it on the cat and it’ll protect the wounded area effectively.
Why would my cat need a cone in the first place?
Usually, a cat will need to have a cat cone because of some sort of procedure at the vet’s office. You may need to get a cat cone after surgery or because they needed to get a treatment for sores or an injury.
Another reason is if there’s a place where cats may be over-grooming. If hair seems to disappear from an area because your cat focuses on it too much, you may need to get a cone until the hair grows back.
Is grooming an issue while my cat wears an e collar?
Most of the time, yes. While you’re caring for a cat with an Elizabethan collar (e-collar is short for Elizabethan collar), you will find that it’s really hard for them to self-groom and get cat litter off of their paws.
If your cat is in a cone, be sure to brush them in order to prevent any sort of mats or tangles in their fur. Also, if there are stitches, scratch an area nearby the stitches without touching them – it may help to relieve some of the itching they may want to do.
Is buying my own cone worth it or can I just use what the vet offers?
While many people are fine just taking the plastic cone from their vet, there are a number of reasons that you may want to consider getting your own. You may need to use it multiple times, or you want the cat to be used to a specific cone so they don’t get stressed when it comes out of the closet.
Sometimes, you just want to know that your cat has the best cat cone possible, allowing them to be comfortable every time you need them to wear it.
- Grooming and control of fleas in cats, National Institutes of Health, May 10, 2000
- Post-Surgery Instructions, Animal Shelter Seattle
- Before and After Care for Spay or Neuter Surgery, County of Sonoma
- Elizabethan collar, Wikipedia
- Cone of Shame Alternatives, petMD
- How to Put an Elizabethan Collar on a Cat: 12 Steps, Wikihow
- The Dreaded E-Collar: Why It's Your Best Bet For Wound Care, Vet Street, Apr 18, 2012
- Elizabethan Collar, eBay
- E-Collar Alternatives: 5 Pet-Friendly Substitutions For The Cone Of Shame, Huffington Post, Sep 14, 2013
- Cone of shame, Urban Dictionary