After 50 hours spent researching the best cat scratching posts, we think SmartCat Pioneer The Ultimate Cat Scratching Post is the best for most people.
This choice is based on several criteria: type, base shape, base, height, color, structure, wrap, wrap type, indoor use, outdoor use, sturdy, fun, perch, assembly required, and weight, among other things.
|Product||Price||Overall Rating||Quality||Durability||Appearance||Maintenance||Value for Money||type||base shape||base||height||color||structure||wrap||wrap type||indoor use||outdoor use||sturdy||fun||perch||assembly required||weight|
|SmartCat Pioneer The Ultimate Cat Scratching Post||Check Price||4.6||5.0||4.5||4.0||4.5||5.0||Post||Square||16 x 16 in||32 in||Beige||Wood||Sisal fiber||Woven||Yes||No||Yes||Yes||No||Yes||16.6 lbs|
|Midwest Homes for Pets Biscayne Cat Scratching Post||Check Price||4.8||5.0||4.5||4.5||5.0||5.0||Post||Square||19 x 19 in||41 in||Brown, beige||Wood||Sisal fiber||Rope||Yes||No||Yes||Yes||No||Yes||19.4 lbs|
|Molly And Friends Carpeted Cat Scratching Post||Check Price||4.4||4.5||4.0||4.5||4.0||5.0||Post||Square||12 x 12 in||17 in||Beige, blue, red, green||Wood||Carpet||Carpeted||Yes||No||Yes||Yes||No||No||8.8 lbs|
|4Claws Vertical Jute Tripod Cat Scratching Post||Check Price||4.5||4.5||4.0||4.5||5.0||4.5||Tripod||3 legs||21 x 21 in||30 in||Beige||Wood, aluminum||Jute fiber||Rope||Yes||No||Yes||Yes||No||Yes||4.8 lbs|
|Art Of Paws Ultimate Elegant Cat Scratching Post||Check Price||4.9||5.0||4.5||5.0||5.0||5.0||Post||Square||15.75 x 15.75 in||35.5 in||Brown, beige||Wood||Sisal fiber||Rope||Yes||No||Yes||Yes||Yes||Yes||14.5 lbs|
- 1 Selection Of The Best Cat Scratching Posts
- 2 Best Cat Scratching Post Buying Guide
- 3 Frequently Asked Questions
- 4 Sources
Scratching and stretching – they’re the two main reasons that your cat deserves to have the best cat scratching post possible.
Having several scratching posts in your home is helpful when you’re looking to prevent your cat from scratching up all of your furniture.
The shopping list for your first cat is quite a long one. From kitten food or cat food to their cat cage or cat carrier for transport, you need to be sure that you’ve got all the right things so that Fluffy is content.
New technology has made it easier to care for your furry friend, too. Maybe you’re looking at an automatic cat feeder, cat water fountain, or even an automatic cat litter box that can take care of the dirty work for you. And, nowadays, you can keep a comfortable cat cone on hand if you need to use one after an injury or surgery.
How do you keep their claws in great shape? By offering multiple options for scratching, like their cat tree, cat scratching pad, and the best cat scratching post that you can find for them. Keeping their claws trimmed and worn down can keep your furniture, your feline, and your family safe and comfortable.
Selection Of The Best Cat Scratching Posts
Here are the best cat scratching posts for most people according to Outlinist:
Having a cat is a big responsibility and comes with some things you may have never thought of – like scratching posts.
Finding the best scratching post can be difficult with so many different options available, so it’s important to compare your options.
You’ll want to look for a scratching post that’s large and can accommodate cats of all sizes.
You should also look for something durable enough to handle your cat’s rough playtime and claws on a regular basis.
There are plenty more things you should consider when finding a scratcher that your kitty will love, or you may just end up returning what you bought.
Even if you’ve never owned a scratching post in the past, your cat will find this one appealing and likely take to it quickly.
If you’re new to owning cats, you may be wondering why a cat scratching post is so essential. More experienced owners have learned the hard way how important these posts are, but a refresher is always beneficial in becoming a better cat owner.
Cats scratch for several reasons, such as to release aggression and exercise their muscles. They also mark their territory by scratching, which could mean horrible things for your furniture. If your cat doesn’t have somewhere to let this energy out, it will turn to your couches, chairs, tables, bed frames, and anything else in the home it has access to.
Some cats will take to their scratching post right away while others may take a bit of time and training. The SmartCat Pioneer The Ultimate Scratching Post is designed to attract kittens and cats of any age with its texture and appealing look.
|base||16 x 16 in|
However, if your cat is having trouble, you can try using catnip or giving them treats whenever they interact with the scratching post and praising them.
Even if you’ve never owned a scratching post in the past, your cat will find this one appealing and likely take to it quickly. It’s made of natural woven sisal, which is safer for your cat’s claws and doesn’t shed like carpeted materials do.
It can last throughout your cat’s development, being low enough for kittens to comfortably scratch and tall enough for growing cats to stretch and exercise their muscles.
This sisal cat scratching post is ideal for both kittens and adult cats.
Finding the perfect post is a challenge that many people undertake in order to please their cats. This SmartCat Pioneer post has plenty to look forward to, ensuring that your cat will have a good time while using this cat scratching post.
- Allows cats to stretch to their fullest potential: This is a tall cat scratching post with 30 inches of length for your cat. This length allows cats to stretch their muscles and get a good workout. Since cats mark their territory with long streaks, this is the perfect post for keeping cats from scratching furniture.
- Made using durable materials: The Smart Cat scratching post is designed for cats to enjoy without any worry of wobbling or tipping, which could deter cats. The base is wide, keeping it secure even when multiple cats are using it. The construction is sturdy, so you can expect it to last.
- Assembly is incredibly easy: Don’t you hate when something requires tons of screws and complicated equipment? This scratching post is easy to assemble, saving you time and using only two screws that attach the post securely onto the base. You can get it up and functional within minutes.
- Great for kittens and cats of all ages: This sisal cat scratching post is ideal for both kittens and adult cats. The height of it can accommodate their growth throughout the years of their life, so your cat always has a scratching post they can use to stretch and mark their territory.
- A neutral color & attractive design: One thing that you want in the ideal cat scratching post is for it to fit with any style and décor. The SmartCat Pioneer post is a neutral tan color with a nicely finished wood base and top.
- Fibers on the surface are natural: Unlike many scratching posts that use carpet, this one uses a natural woven sisal fiber that produces clean shreds. It also avoids becoming prickly and uncomfortable after frequent or prolonged use, which can occur with more common materials like sisal rope.
There are a few parts of this post that could be improved, but they aren’t deal breakers – your cat will still love this scratching post and get ample use out of it on a daily basis.
- The top is slippery: Your cat is a predator that loves siting and keeping watch over the household. To do this, they need to perch on a surface above the floor. The top of this post is designed for cats to sit on, but they tend to slip off of it due to its smooth texture.
- The post will need to be rotated: Because of the shape and large dimensions of the base of this post, it is necessary to rotate it so that your cat can reach every side of it. Many posts are tubular for this reason, allowing them to scratch it from any angle with ease and comfort.
- Cats may be cautious of the material: While woven sisal is safe for cats and makes for an ideal material for scratching posts, cats may be a bit more hesitant when it comes to using posts covered in woven sisal. It can appear unfamiliar and may not be the texture they’re used to.
|Price||Check Price||Check Price||Check Price|
|base||16 x 16 in||19 x 19 in||12 x 12 in|
|height||32 in||41 in||17 in|
|color||Beige||Brown, beige||Beige, blue, red, green|
|wrap||Sisal fiber||Sisal fiber||Carpet|
|weight||16.6 lbs||19.4 lbs||8.8 lbs|
The ultimate scratching post will keep your cat’s claws in prime condition and their muscles stretched and toned.
With SmartCat Pioneer The Ultimate Cat Scratching Post, you have come as close as possible to finding the best scratching post for your cat. There’s no doubt that the natural material will entice them, though some felines may take encouragement and training before using it.
This scratching post displays some of the best qualities from previous models and products developed by SmartCat. The ultimate scratching post will keep your cat’s claws in prime condition and their muscles stretched and toned.
If you’re tired of having your furniture ruined by the claws of your cat, consider a cat scratching post that is durable enough to handle your cat and sturdy enough to mimic the feel of your furniture and satisfy your kitty.
Having a cat is a joy, but it can be murder on the furniture in your home if you don’t give them something to sharpen their claws on.
A good cat scratching post gives them their own special area to claw until they can’t anymore.
The best posts are going to give cats a sense of satisfaction because they play to their primal urges and let them have a little bit of fun.
Getting a tall scratcher will let them stretch their body’s hunting muscles and the right material gives them the feeling they are in the wild, marking their territory.
A cat approved scratcher will make everyone happy.
Perfect for every scratching need a cat may have, this Midwest Homes scratcher allows them to maintain proper grooming such as keeping their nails trimmed and sharpened and wiping their fur.
If cats are forced to crouch down and stretch all the time, they don’t get the full benefits that come from exercising their back and shoulder muscles. The Midwest Homes for Pets Biscayne Cat Scratching Post provides plenty of vertical space for your cat to groom themselves and leave the house furniture alone.
The 41 inch tall post is taller than almost anything else currently available. If your pet has been scratching up the walls or is typically too long for most posts, this one will be ideal for them.
Perfect for every scratching need a cat may have, this Midwest Homes scratcher allows them to maintain proper grooming such as keeping their nails trimmed and sharpened and wiping their fur. This keeps them from doing a lot of damage in your home when they are bored or if instincts take over.
|base||19 x 19 in|
While there is no sleeping area, the base is covered with a super-soft faux fur that most felines enjoy laying and sitting on. Don’t be surprised when the base of this post becomes their second cat bed or they simply curl up around it after an intense scratching session.
The scratching material used is sisal rope. It is great at giving cats the shredding feeling they want while scratching. They feel good when clawing through the sisal rope in a way that the other materials in your home can’t quite accomplish.
Backed by a 1 year warranty, this is a sturdy cat post that keeps cats healthy and happy and allows you to enjoy a couch without claw marks.
Cat scratching posts that work have one quality in common: they are extremely stable.
Midwest Homes has designed a scratching post with both cats and their owners in mind. It is one of the most durable pieces of cat furniture you can buy for your feline friend and is ideal for all of their scratching needs.
- A full stretch for every cat: It is one of the best cat scratching posts for big cats due to its height. At 41 inches tall, it is one of the tallest posts on the market and allows even the tallest cat to fully stretch out while clawing away.
- Cats can have fun climbing: Cats love to climb, but unfortunately it is usually on the furniture. With this extra tall cat scratching post, however, that is no longer an issue. Felines will have no problem climbing it and the base is sturdy to keep it from tipping over.
- Easy to assemble: Assembling the pieces of this cat scratching post tower is a super simple task. There aren’t a lot of pieces to play around with and it can be put together in a few minutes. Also, everything you need to build it is included.
- Safe and comfortable base: Cat scratching posts that work have one quality in common: they are extremely stable. Balanced by the 19″ x 19″ base, there’s no way this Midwest Homes post will fall when a cat gets rough with their scratching. Coated in soft faux fur, it doubles as a resting spot.
- Lasts a long time: The supports of this scratching post are wrapped in sisal rope. This makes them extremely resilient and tough. Cats can scratch the material for hundreds of hours before this model will need to be replaced, making it worth every penny.
- Award-winning service: If you have any problem at all with your purchase, the company has amazing customer service that is second to none. You can contact them for a replacement and they will happily send you a new one or answer any question you have.
Can the perfect cat scratcher have any flaws? This cat scratching post has the stability and durability you’d want and does a great job at keeping cats from ruining your furniture. The flaws it has are more minor issues, but they need to be talked about nonetheless.
- No perch: There is very little versatility here, when you buy this scratcher that is all you are getting. Unlike some other scratching posts, there is no perch or bed on top that cats can lay down and horizontally stretch on. The base is soft and comfortable enough where this may not be problematic, though.
- Scratching material: Sisal rope vs. fabric is no longer really a debate: cats seem to enjoy fabric more. This sisal rope cat scratching post is great, but it could be improved upon if it used sisal fibers that cats prefer the feel of.
- Quality control issues: Errors in packaging have resulted in some customers receiving the incorrect product or the right product with missing parts. Be sure to check the contents carefully. Customer service always handles the issue immediately, so this is really more of a hassle than a product flaw.
|Price||Check Price||Check Price||Check Price|
|base||19 x 19 in||16 x 16 in||12 x 12 in|
|height||41 in||32 in||17 in|
|color||Brown, beige||Beige||Beige, blue, red, green|
|wrap||Sisal fiber||Sisal fiber||Carpet|
|weight||19.4 lbs||16.6 lbs||8.8 lbs|
Cats of all heights and sizes will be able to make good use of the sisal rope to trim their nails and perform other grooming.
Some of the very tall scratching posts can cost a lot of money but the Midwest Homes for Pets Biscayne Cat Scratching Post is a highly rated, high-quality piece of cat furniture that is reasonably priced.
What makes it the best cat scratching post ever is its tall height and sturdy base. Cats of all heights and sizes will be able to make good use of the sisal rope to trim their nails and perform other grooming. Your cat will also enjoy snoozing on the generously sized base covered in soft faux fur.
Easy to assemble, this great looking cat scratching post is effective and will last a long time, even with daily use.
A cat needs to exercise and keep their nails nice and neat. When neither of these needs are met, you could be faced with some problems.
Cats could begin tearing up furniture or causing a ruckus in the home. If you want to keep the peace, the best thing to do is get a cat scratching post.
The first thing you should consider is how solid the base and post are – if the scratching post wobbles, your cat may not enjoy using it.
You should also look at its color and shape to determine its aesthetic effect in the home.
If you choose one at random, you could be left with something that your cat never uses no matter how much catnip you rub on it.
Many cats can be trained easily, and the carpeting on this Molly And Friends post makes it even more enticing.
The Molly And Friends Carpeted Cat Scratching Post provides the supreme scratching experience for your feline. It is covered in thick carpet that allows your cat to shed their nails, mark their territory, play, and relieve boredom or stress. It’s solid and can be a good fit for homes with kittens, older cats, or even multiple cats.
Sometimes, cats don’t take to scratching posts as quickly as you’d like them to and continue to wreck your furniture. In this case, it is necessary to train your cat and hope that they take to the post and stop scratching couches and other furniture pieces that decorate the home.
The steps to learn for how to train your cat to stop scratching the furniture are easy. First, you should place it in an area that your cat frequents in the home. Try placing it near their napping area, as they enjoy stretching after waking up. You can pair the cat scratching post with catnip to lure them to the post, rubbing it into the material and calling your cat to it.
|base||12 x 12 in|
|color||Beige, blue, red, green|
If your cat still isn’t showing interest, try scratching it with our own nails to attract the cat and teach them that the post is where they should scratch. Whenever your cat scratches the post, praise them and reward them using a treat.
Many cats can be trained easily, and the carpeting on this Molly And Friends post makes it even more enticing. Most cats love ripping through carpet loops, plus carpeting is easily vacuumed to keep the post and the nearby area clean.
A great first post for a kitten, this scratcher is 17″ tall and comes in 4 different colors to blend with any décor: blue, burgundy, rich dark green and a neutral tan.
You’ll enjoy not having to unpack your tool kit to screw anything in or use nails.
A good scratching post has several unique elements that draw in your cat and make a large difference in your cat’s experience. Some of the good things about this Molly And Friends post are outlined below.
- A great starter cat scratching post: The design of this post satisfies the need for cats to scratch, keeping them entertained and protecting the home from any damage that could be done. It’s a great choice for cats that haven’t used a scratching post in the past and for kittens.
- Durable and high quality carpet material: This carpet cat scratching post is completely wrapped in carpet of the highest quality and is a great alternative to sisal, which some cats may not enjoy. Your kitten will love tearing through it and all of their excess energy will be channeled constructively.
- A good fit for homes with kittens: Some scratching posts can simply be too small for your cat, but this one is the perfect height for small breeds as well as for kittens. It’s about 17 inches tall, which is shorter than most other posts and rather hard to find.
- Absolutely no assembly is required: You’ll enjoy not having to unpack your tool kit to screw anything in or use nails. You can simply unpack the scratching post and set it down – it’s ready to use as soon as it’s taken out of the box.
- The pole is solid pine: Your cat appreciates a solid surface, so you should find a scratching post that is just as solid as your couch or chair leg. This post is made of solid pine, so your cat can get the same feeling of satisfaction that comes from marking solid surfaces.
- Great for homes with multiple cats: With a generously sized 12″ by 12″ base that’s very durable, it’s the perfect cat scratching post for homes with multiple felines. You can have several cats on the post enjoying themselves without any worry of tilting, wobbling, or falling over while they roughhouse and play around.
A scratching post should come with several features that your cat loves, but they can sometimes miss the mark a bit. The Molly and Friends post has some excellent qualities, but it has a few flaws that may influence your final decision.
- Shedding may occur: Because the material is carpet, you may notice some shedding occurring as your cat continues to use the post. As their nails mark it, chunks may come off and your cat could ingest them. Be vigilant when your cat is using the scratching post to avoid any issues.
- It’s not the tallest scratching post you could find: When you’re considering what kind of scratching post you want, it’s important to think about the length of the post. This post is a bit on the shorter side, so it may not be ideal for larger cats or cats that enjoy stretching as much as possible.
- Not the best cat scratching post for carpeted homes: One thing you want to avoid is having a scratching post that attracts your cat to other areas of the home. If you have carpet in the home, you could face difficulties as your cat may think it’s just fine to rip up the carpet on the post or the floors.
|Price||Check Price||Check Price||Check Price|
|base||12 x 12 in||16 x 16 in||19 x 19 in|
|height||17 in||32 in||41 in|
|color||Beige, blue, red, green||Beige||Brown, beige|
|wrap||Carpet||Sisal fiber||Sisal fiber|
|weight||8.8 lbs||16.6 lbs||19.4 lbs|
It’s small and can fit anywhere in the home, making it convenient and compact.
The Molly And Friends Carpeted Cat Scratching Post is a marvel with its sturdy design and carpeted covering. It’s small and can fit anywhere in the home, making it convenient and compact.
The post comes in 4 different colors depending on your preferences. This makes it easy to customize the look of your cat’s scratching post and keep it from detracting from the aesthetics of your home.
With its generously sized base and 17″ pole, this is the ideal cat scratching post for kittens and smaller cats. Your kitty will love raking its claws through the luxurious carpet that Molly And Friends has used and you’ll love that they’re not attacking the couch.
How do I stop my cat from scratching the sofa? It’s a question many cat owners have asked over the years.
Luckily, there’s a solution to this problem that has been sitting in front of you all along.
The solution is to introduce a cat scratching post to your home. It may sound simple, but this method has worked for millions of cat owners.
Cats love scratching for several reasons and will turn to scratching furniture if there is no other way to satisfy this need.
A scratching post is just what every cat needs to be happy and fulfilled.
It’s made using natural materials, so you can expect it to stand up to the punches that cat’s claws will throw at it.
If you want to give your cat something to look forward to each and every day, consider adding the 4Claws Vertical Jute Tripod Cat Scratching Post to your home.
It looks great with any home décor and can fit into several areas, blending into your color scheme and furniture while standing out to your cat and catching their undivided attention.
This scratching post is heavy duty and durable. It’s made using natural materials, so you can expect it to stand up to the punches that cat’s claws will throw at it. This gives your cat the satisfaction it desires when scratching items and marking their territory along with the myriad of other things that cats accomplish at their scratching posts.
|base shape||3 legs|
|base||21 x 21 in|
Your feline will love having a cat scratching post that looks like a tree, mimicking the natural world and making it more adventurous to explore. They have several different ways to play, from lying on the floor scratching and batting at the tripod’s legs or stretching to their full length on the post.
Cat scratching post reviews have named this solidly constructed post one of the best options for cat owners that want something versatile and unique for their cats to experience. It gives your kitten or cat an entirely new way to play and makes it even more fun to visit the scratching post.
Taking your cat’s playtime to the next level has never been easier than simply introducing this amazing cat tree scratcher to them.
All-natural jute provides a sturdy covering that cats will enjoy sinking their claws into.
The 4Claws tripod scratcher is an excellent addition to the homes of cat owners that are looking for a slightly different experience than normal. For a unique and fun experience for your cat, you can turn to the 4Claws tripod post.
- Your cat can climb vertically: All kinds of cats love to climb, perching on the highest peak in the home and keeping an eye on everything that goes on around them. This post allows your cat to climb up and survey the area comfortably on their scratching post. It’s one of the best cat scratching tree options on the market.
- The tripod base is versatile and fun: The design is versatile, allowing for vertical scratching as well as horizontal fun for the kitties in your home. Cats can lay and enjoy the tripod’s legs and then stretch to their heart’s content using the length of the post.
- Eco-friendly, natural materials: All-natural jute provides a sturdy covering that cats will enjoy sinking their claws into. It’s kept together with glue that is non-toxic, keeping everything on this post safe for your precious little cat.
- Stainless steel and aluminum joints and screws: Durability is important, so the post you choose for your cat should be built to last. The 4Claws is made with stainless steel and uses aluminum joints to keep everything together. There’s no worry about anything falling apart no matter how rough your cats are while playing.
- A modern look that fits in anywhere: The best material for a cat scratching post is one that blends in with the home and fits into your décor and color scheme. The neutral colors of the 4Claws Jute Tripod can fit into your space no matter what furniture you have.
- Kittens and adult cats will love it: At 30″ tall, the height of the post is great for older cats and large breeds of felines along with kittens and smaller breeds. They can play with it using the tripod legs as well as the full length of the post, so your cat can enjoy it any every stage of life.
There’s not much to say when it comes to the improvements that could be made to this scratching post. Although you may face some problems with this 4Claws post, they shouldn’t be total deal breakers when considering the positives.
- Lightweight post may wobble or tip during use: The materials used create a lightweight scratching post that can easily be moved around the home for your cat. However, its weight can cause it to be wobbly or tip while your cat uses the post. You could weigh it down to keep it steady.
- Sliding may be an issue: Because of how the tripod’s legs are positioned, you may see it slide while your cat is playing on it. To avoid this, the scratching post can be placed against the wall or secured in placed.
- The post could be a bit taller: Your cat can comfortably scale this cat scratching post, but when it comes to stretching this post can be a bit limited. If your kitty is on the legs of the scratching post, they may not have enough room to stretch out to their full length.
|Price||Check Price||Check Price||Check Price|
|base shape||3 legs||Square||Square|
|base||21 x 21 in||16 x 16 in||19 x 19 in|
|height||30 in||32 in||41 in|
|wrap||Jute fiber||Sisal fiber||Sisal fiber|
|weight||4.8 lbs||16.6 lbs||19.4 lbs|
No matter how old your cat is, they can enjoy their time with this scratching post.
The 4Claws Vertical Jute Tripod Cat Scratching Post is a playful post that has been designed with care to detail and precision. It’s made for cats to enjoy it in several different ways, making it sort of like a jungle gym.
No matter how old your cat is, they can enjoy their time with this scratching post. It’s durable and made from natural materials, so there is no worry about incidents such as allergic reactions or ingesting poisonous materials.
When it comes to a scratching post, there is no way that you can go wrong by getting the most innovative one available. The tripod design of this 4Claws cat scratching post exceeds expectations, giving pet owners and their cats a post that meets their every need and looks great in the home.
There’s no stopping a cat’s urge to scratch, which is why your drapes, carpet and furniture are never safe.
Getting a well-designed cat scratching post will keep the fabrics in your home safe and keep your kitty well-manicured and happy.
Tall scratchers are great because they allow a cat to stretch its entire body. When looking for a tall post, it should be sturdy or cats will not use it.
Then there is the material. The best material will shred under their claws and preferably be accompanied by a loud noise when scratched.
An ideal scratching post considers a cat’s primal urges and health.
Unlike sisal rope that can catch a claw and interrupt their shredding fun, this tree uses sisal fibers.
There’s no reason a cat has to tear up furniture or carpeting inside your home. The Art Of Paws Ultimate Elegant Cat Scratching Post gives them an area all their own to scratch and claw away at happily.
Extra tall, this vertical post stands at 35.5 inches. Cats get a lot of surface to scratch and can extend their full bodies while doing so, improving their health and flexibility.
Unlike sisal rope that can catch a claw and interrupt their shredding fun, this tree uses sisal fibers. The fibers wrapped around the pole are soft, shred very well under kitty claws and easily allow for a continual vertical shredding motion. The heavy duty material provides that satisfying ripping sound cats love and feels wonderful underneath the claws, removing their need to scratch other materials in your home.
|base||15.75 x 15.75 in|
A really cute feature is the packing box it arrives in. You are encouraged by the company to let your kitty play with the boxes while you set up the scratcher. It is a nice touch that shows that Art Of Paws knows a thing or two about felines.
Modern looking, it isn’t an eyesore and comes with a 3 year warranty with registration and full refund or replacement. This company stands behind their product which is always a good indicator of quality.
This heavy duty, high quality scratcher will keep cats from getting bored while also providing the health benefits they need. It will also let you buy new couches without worrying about a kitty attack.
With a modern look, this sisal fabric cat tree looks much nicer than most cat furniture on the market.
Cats will enjoy the way this scratching post feels on their claws as they perfect their manicures. The material and overall stylish design will look good in any room you decide to place it in. Excellent customer service and the satisfaction guarantee are just added bonuses.
- Has a height advantage: Cats that love full length stretches cannot resist a cat scratching post 90cm in height. It’s large enough to accommodate several felines at once, and the base is sturdy enough to scratch at without tipping over.
- Includes a resting area: Once cats have had their fill of scratching, they can take a break, survey their domain or take a nap on the perch that sits atop this tall cat post. There is also a removable cushion that can be cleaned easily.
- Easy assembly: Assembling cat furniture can be frustrating, but putting this post together is a breeze and all the tools required for assembly are included. Touted for its 8 minute assembly, you’ll find you can actually put this scratcher together in even less time.
- Sisal fibers for filing claws: The cat scratching post material is made out of sisal fibers instead of sisal rope. The fibers shed far less on your floor and are better looking than rope. The material is also flatter than bumpy sisal rope and cats seem to enjoy it more.
- Stylish and attractive: With a modern look, this sisal fabric cat tree looks much nicer than most cat furniture on the market. The darker wood color blends well into any home and its height matches well with other items in the home.
- Made to be worn out: Get more mileage out of this post by swapping the top and bottom. The pole sections are interchangeable making it easy to flip the tree around once your cat wears out the lower sisal fibers. Now your pet can scratch some more.
Soft sisal fibers and a very tall height make this Art Of Paws scratcher one of the best cat scratching posts to file nails and to save your furniture. There are a few issues with it that you should be aware of, though, before deciding if it’s right to bring home.
- Can’t be situated on any type of flooring: Lightweight, due to a cardboard tube being used instead of wood, and with a fairly small base, it can feel wobbly on thicker carpet. Large cats may not want to perch if they feel it might topple over.
- Doesn’t last long with frequent use: Though it works wonderfully well for filing your cat’s nails, it may not stand up very well to hard use. Some buyers have seen the condition of the sisal fibers deteriorate within 6 months.
- Possible quality control issues: Some units may arrive in less than perfect condition, with the sisal fibers coming off the post or sections of the material not being firmly attached to the pole. The company does replace those units immediately, so it’s more of a hassle than a problem.
|Price||Check Price||Check Price||Check Price|
|base||15.75 x 15.75 in||16 x 16 in||19 x 19 in|
|height||35.5 in||32 in||41 in|
|color||Brown, beige||Beige||Brown, beige|
|wrap||Sisal fiber||Sisal fiber||Sisal fiber|
|weight||14.5 lbs||16.6 lbs||19.4 lbs|
This is one of the better cat scratchers for large cats because it is extra tall.
The Art Of Paws Ultimate Elegant Cat Scratching Post is a stylish and elegant piece of furniture that makes humans and felines happy.
This is one of the better cat scratchers for large cats because it is extra tall. All cats will able to get a full stretch, keeping them in tip top shape. Sisal fibers make for a more than enjoyable scratching experience and the perch gives them a place to rest after all their hard work.
When looking for a high-quality cat scratching post that keeps your pet’s attention and looks good enough to show off in your home, this is the clear choice.
Best Cat Scratching Post Buying Guide
Cats love getting up high, and they love stretching while they’re scratching things – that’s why you want to look for a cat scratching post extra tall during your search.
Be sure that the scratching post is high enough that your cat can stretch fully while they’re scratching. The further they can extend, the more stretched they are and the healthier that they will be. Scratching is just another form of kitty yoga to them, so help them out with a tall scratcher.
Cat scratchers come in a number of shapes. Obviously, there’s the circular “pole” shape, but there are also square, rectangular, and corner-style scratching posts as well.
Square and rectangular models are usually on a base, like circular pole options, although there are also wall-mounted options. Posts shaped like a corner are designed to protect the edges of chairs and couches.
Vertical and Horizontal Options
Cats like having choices when it comes to scratching, and it’s essential to have both horizontal and vertical surfaces available. Yes, they like to scratch vertically to stretch out, but they also enjoy scratching horizontally as well.
This is often solved by covering the base in a material that is similar to what you find on the post itself. That way, the cat has plenty of options and won’t scratch up the carpets.
Cats are hypersensitive to whether or not surfaces or items are safe, and because of that, they will rarely (if ever) use a post that they feel is going to topple over while they are using it.
The material used in the construction of the base and its weight play a major role in whether Fluffy will feel confident using it. You want to look for posts that have a “double thick” base or ones with metal weights to ensure stability.
Hollow Cat Scratchers
Hollow cat scratchers are a lot sturdier than other options, mainly because they don’t carry all of the weight that tends to make solid products more top heavy and prone to tipping over.
Hollow cat scratchers also make some pretty loud noises when they’re scratched, which cats seem to enjoy as well. They’re sometimes more affordable, and they’re a lot easier for you to move around, too.
Solid Scratching Posts
Solid scratching posts have their own benefits, however. These usually have much thicker bases than what you’ll find in hollow posts, and they tend to last a lot longer.
Many solid models are also able to handle a lot more weight, as well. If your cat likes to climb on or around the post, they are less likely to crumble beneath your cat’s weight or topple over.
Size of the Base
Before you even start looking for cat scratching posts for sale, you need to be sure that you measure the space in which you plan to locate the post. Some scratching posts are larger than others, so you want to be sure that it’s going to fit.
Remember to give your cat some wiggle room around the space that you want to place the base as well – it’ll give them choices and make it more likely for them to use it.
Cardboard is the most affordable option for cat scratchers, and many cats like that it’s lightweight and that they are able to shred it with their claws. Cardboard is also the loudest material, and cats seem to be more satisfied when they use noisy scratching posts.
If you get the best cardboard cat scratcher, you’ll be able to replace the heavy corrugated cardboard that you find inside of it. That way, your cat always has something that they can scratch and you don’t need to buy an entirely new post every time it gets beaten up.
Another popular choice for cat owners is the sisal fabric cat scratching post. Sisal fabric is a very heavy-duty fabric that cats absolutely love to sink their claws into and scratch up.
It makes less of a mess than what you’ll find with cardboard, but it is also a lot more difficult to replace on your own. It has a feeling similar to tree bark, and it’s a very biodegradable option, which means that you can feel good using it.
You may also be looking for a cat scratching post rope option. Sisal rope is made from sisal fabric, but it’s put together in a rope formation.
While it does provide the same sort of satisfying feel that cats want to get from their scratching, they do get interrupted by the way that the rope is wrapped. They can’t just claw down through it – they have to skip the ridges between the rope, which makes for a much less satisfying experience overall.
Getting a cat scratching post wood is also a pretty solid option. Outdoor cats and feral cats use fences, trees, and stumps to sharpen their claws effectively. It shreds easily and feels good.
You can either purchase a wooden post or you can get your own by getting firewood or logs. If you decide for the latter, be sure that you’re careful of any sort of bugs or moss that may be in there. Clean out the log before you bring it into your home.
Variety of Surfaces
While some cat posts only have one type of surface, many vets and cat experts recommend that you find a post that has two or more surfaces that your cat can choose from.
Whether that means that you have a different material for the base or you have two different sides of the scratching post made from different surfaces, you’ll find that your cat is much happier when they have multiple surfaces that they can dig their claws into.
Can You Add Catnip?
Cats love the stimulation and exercise they get from stretching and scratching using a post. Not only does it help with kitty yoga, but you can also get a cat scratching post with catnip that makes the activity even more tempting and attractive – particularly if the cat won’t stop ripping the couch.
Catnip can go a really long way when you’re trying to redirect your cat so that they use their post more often. Some posts have a hidden compartment where you can put catnip; for others, you may want to consider getting spray-style catnip that you just squirt onto the surface.
Attached Cat Toys
Entertainment is a big deal for cats, which is why scratching posts that have a cat toy are getting very popular nowadays. This is especially true if your cat is home alone for a couple of hours a day.
Try to find a cat scratching post with balls or feathers attached on a string or pole. That way, your cat can have endless hours of entertainment from the toy while also using the post to take care of their need to scratch.
Can You Replace the Material?
Lastly, when you’re looking at posts, you want to be able to replace the material that is on there instead of replacing the entire post every single time that it’s torn to shreds.
You can find a lot of options for cat scratching post replacement fabric, you just need to be sure that it’s compatible with the post(s) that you have. Typically, if you invest in the best cat scratching post, the replacement process will be relatively simple.
Frequently Asked Questions
Can I make my own cat scratching post?
Absolutely! There are a lot of different ways in which you can make your own scratching post. As mentioned earlier, you can put together a wooden one quite easily with just a log or some firewood.
If you want to use rope or fabric, it will take a little more effort on your part, but you can make it happen. If you have a handyman (or woman) in your family, they just need to be sure that they make something with both vertical and horizontal scratching options and with a sturdy double-layered base.
Is a cat tree an acceptable replacement for a scratching post?
Yes! Many cat trees are made with cat’s claws in mind. These also have a special advantage because they can usually double as a cat bed for them to rest in, as well.
Be sure that you’re aware of whether or not your cat is using its tree as a scratching post, however. Some cats don’t like the material trees are made from, or they don’t like to scratch up a place where they sleep.
Should I ever consider carpet for my cat’s scratching post?
While carpet can be a good cover for the base of an abrasive cat scratcher, it’s not always the best option for your cat. They may have difficulty telling the difference between their scratcher and the carpets in your home.
Another reason that carpet may not be a good option is because cats don’t always like the way it feels under their claws. Their claws get stuck in the loop and yanking on them is uncomfortable and kind of annoying for your furry friend.
What do I do if my cat still won’t stop scratching furniture?
Sometimes, cats just get stuck on scratching a certain thing and they can’t get redirected from it. Some experts recommend that you put some sort of scent in that spot that the cat will be averse to – just make sure that it doesn’t cause you issues, as well.
You can also get a cat scratching post for corners or walls. They install easily; just put it over the spot that they are scratching frequently and (hopefully) they’ll scratch the post instead.
How long does a cat scratching post last?
It depends. If your cat isn’t a big scratcher, then their post could end up lasting 5 years or more. But, if you have multiple cats, you may need to replace your well-loved post every 12 to 18 months.
Cardboard doesn’t last a very long time, but it’s also the cheapest to replace. Even sisal fabric will succumb to time and abuse. Just keep an eye on the post and if it looks to be wobbly or falling apart, it’s time to replace it.
- Owner observations regarding cat scratching behavior: an internet-based survey, National Institutes of Health, Jul 15, 2015
- Induction of scratching behaviour in cats: efficacy of synthetic feline interdigital semiochemical, National Institutes of Health, Feb 21, 2013
- What, Exactly, is Declawing?, City of Albuquerque
- Feline Behavior Problems: Destructive Behavior, Cornell University College of Veterinary Medicine, Mar 1, 2018
- Pets Need to Chew and Scratch, Veterinary Medicine at Illinois, Apr 1, 2016
- Scratching post, Wikipedia
- The best cat scratching posts you can buy, Business Insider, Jun 27, 2017
- The Best Cat Scratchers for 2018, Wirecutter, Apr 19, 2018
- Cat Scratchers & Scratching Posts You'll Love, Wayfair
- Cat tree, Wikipedia