After 49 hours spent researching the best cat water fountains, we think PetSafe Drinkwell Pagoda Cat Water Fountain is the best for most people.
This choice is based on several criteria: brand, dimensions, color, capacity, material, water filter, filtration system, stream, adjustable flow, quiet operation, eliminates odor, power source, power consumption, weight, and warranty, among other things.
|Product||Price||Overall Rating||Quality||Durability||Appearance||Maintenance||Value for Money||brand||dimensions||color||capacity||material||water filter||filtration system||stream||adjustable flow||quiet operation||eliminates odor||power source||power consumption||weight||warranty|
|PetSafe Drinkwell Pagoda Cat Water Fountain||Check Price||4.9||5.0||5.0||4.5||5.0||5.0||PetSafe||10.5 x 8.87 x 5.75 in||Blue, red, taupe, white||70 oz||Ceramic||Carbon||2-stage||Double||Yes||Yes||Yes||Corded||12V||6.67 lbs||1 year|
|iPettie Ceramic Quiet Cat Water Fountain||Check Price||4.4||5.0||4.0||4.0||4.5||4.5||iPettie||10.7 x 10.7 x 5.5 in||White||71 oz||Ceramic||Carbon||3-stage||Triple||Yes||Yes||Yes||Corded||12V||7.1 lbs||1 year|
|PetSafe Drinkwell Seascape Cat Water Fountain||Check Price||4.5||5.0||4.0||4.5||4.5||4.5||PetSafe||8 x 9.2 x 5 in||Grey, white||70 oz||Ceramic||Carbon||2-stage||Spread||Yes||Yes||Yes||Corded||12V||5.2 lbs||1 year|
|PetSafe Drinkwell Sedona Cat Water Fountain||Check Price||4.8||5.0||4.5||5.0||4.5||5.0||PetSafe||9.8 x 12.5 x 5.3 in||Transparent, white||100 oz||Glass, plastic||Carbon||2-stage||Spread||Yes||Yes||Yes||Corded||12V||4 lbs||1 year|
|PetSafe Drinkwell BPA-Free Cat Water Fountain||Check Price||4.3||5.0||4.0||4.0||4.5||4.0||PetSafe||14.56 x 15.43 x 10.12 in||Grey||256 oz||Plastic||Carbon||2-stage||Single||Yes||Yes||Yes||Corded||12V||4.06 lbs||1 year|
- 1 Selection Of The Best Cat Water Fountains
- 2 Best Cat Water Fountain Buying Guide
- 2.1 Filtered or Unfiltered?
- 2.2 Amount of Noise
- 2.3 How Much Water Does it Hold?
- 2.4 Weight
- 2.5 Stainless Steel
- 2.6 Ceramic
- 2.7 Plastic
- 2.8 Ease of Cleaning
- 2.9 Size of the Bowl
- 2.10 Power Cables
- 2.11 Battery Operated vs. Plug-In
- 2.12 Accessibility for Disabled/Older Cats
- 2.13 Appearance
- 2.14 Longevity
- 2.15 Ability to Keep Dirt and Grime Out
- 3 Frequently Asked Questions
- 4 Sources
The best cat water fountain is a much better way to ensure that your kitty always has access to fresh, clean water than an old bowl on the floor still filled with yesterday’s stale water.
Nowadays, it’s much easier to find great water fountains that are affordable and simple to set up.
Cats are very particular creatures. They usually have some sort of routine in their lives, from the kitten food or cat food that they like to eat, to whether they prefer a cat scratching pad or a cat scratching post. Some prefer a cat bed, others like dozing in a cat tree.
Thankfully, with technology, taking care of their needs and how particular they are is easier than ever. For example, while you still need a setup that includes a cat litter box, a cat litter mat, and cat litter, you can get an automatic cat litter box that cleans itself.
Taking kitty out into the world is easier than ever because there’s more than just a cat collar you can use. You can opt for a cat cage or cat carrier, or you can use a cat leash and cat harness to give them more freedom while still keeping them secure.
Some things never change – cats still love their cat toy selection and their catnip. Dreaded visits to the vet for checkups, shots or the occasional cat flea treatment will always be required. And certainly the need to provide a cat with fresh food and water hasn’t changed. But now we can buy an automatic cat feeder and water fountains to make sure those staples are always available.
A cat water fountain provides fresh, cool moving water for your furry friend. Cats instinctively prefer circulating water over a still pool. And, really, wouldn’t you opt for a fountain instead of day-old water with some hair floating on top?
Selection Of The Best Cat Water Fountains
Here are the best cat water fountains for most people according to Outlinist:
Water in a pet’s drinking bowl collects bacteria and needs to be changed daily. A cat water fountain makes sure your cat has access to fresh water at all times.
You also don’t have to worry about dumping and filling the bowl every day.
Fountains get furry housemates excited about drinking water because running water happens to taste better to them.
It’s important that cats drink enough water to keep certain health problems at bay, such as kidney damage and heat stroke.
Fountains come in different shapes and sizes, but like everything else cat-related, you’ll have to choose the one that fits that special cat in your life.
It comes with an inline plug that has a detachable cord. This nifty feature lets you unplug the unit without completely unplugging it from the wall.
If you find that the little feline running around your house likes drinking from the leaking bathroom faucet more than their water bowl, or only drinks water when it has been freshly filled, they won’t be able to resist the PetSafe Drinkwell Pagoda Cat Water Fountain.
Perfect for cats that are allergic to plastic, this ceramic fountain keeps fresh water ready for your cat at all times. Don’t worry about it getting scratched up or becoming infested with bacteria either as ceramic is basically immune to the pitfalls of its plastic counterparts.
Your pet can drink from the upper dish or the lower one with this dual level unit. The dual levels of the Pagoda fountain also simulate running water. This encourages cats to drink water more often which goes a long way to preventing the urinary tract infections that cats are prone to getting.
|dimensions||10.5 x 8.87 x 5.75 in|
|color||Blue, red, taupe, white|
It comes with an inline plug that has a detachable cord. This nifty feature lets you unplug the unit without completely unplugging it from the wall. If you have to plug it behind your furniture or a tight space, you can do so easily.
To keep leaks from happening, a small rubber covering protects the cord at the point it passes through the bottom of the machine, and a foam pre-filter protects the pump from particles that could clog the pump and reduce its effectiveness.
Durable and easier to clean than plastic fountains, this PetSafe Drinkwell Pagoda is a unit that will get the cat you love drinking more water and make your life easier too.
Cat ears are quite sensitive to sound. While the cat water fountain pump on this unit is hard at work, it doesn’t make much of a sound.
Though the ceramic material this unit is made of may be a bit more fragile than other materials, it offers a number of benefits that plastic and stainless steel can’t. Not only is this PetSafe fountain going to improve your furry one’s hygiene, it encourages them to hydrate.
- Maximum drinking capacity: The Drinkwell Pagoda pet fountain has multi-level streams of water; cats can stand or stoop to drink. This is ideal for cats of all heights, health statuses and ages. The two height levels also allow multiple cats to use it simultaneously.
- Good-tasting, clean water: The carbon cat water fountain filter reduces bad tastes and odors, and the two free falling streams add oxygen to the water, while constantly circulating the fresh water. The pre-filter protects the pump, preventing dust, cat hair and drool from entering.
- Silent motor: Cat ears are quite sensitive to sound. While the cat water fountain pump on this unit is hard at work, it doesn’t make much of a sound. Its silent motor hums along without disturbing cats or deterring them from having a drink at the fountain.
- Easy to clean and stays clean longer: Unlike its plastic counterparts, this ceramic cat water fountain can be cleaned easily. The ceramic makes it easy to wipe pet hair and dirt away and the pumps are easy to remove. The ceramic also limits the growth of slime and scum.
- Refiling is easy: Adding or removing water is just as easy as it is when using a stand-alone bowl. You can refill it by hand simply by pouring water into it. If it needs to be emptied, just dump the remaining water out and then refill it.
- Stylish and sturdy design: Made with high-quality ceramic, it is sturdy and won’t topple over easily due to playful cat antics. Stylish and subtly designed, this pet water fountain pagoda can effortlessly fit into tight spaces and match the décor of any home.
This fountain is beautiful to look at and comes with a lot of features that make it worth having in your home. However, in order to get the best performance, there are a few things you should know before purchasing.
- Requires a bit more maintenance: Although the unit is dishwasher-safe (without the pump), the manual recommends hand washing. The carbon filter must be changed every 2-4 weeks to avoid slime generation and the foam pre-filter needs to be changed every 4-8 weeks. The filters are very easy to change, however.
- May not be best for busy owners: Its 70-ounce capacity is lower than other fountains. It doesn’t have an additional water reservoir, so expect to refill it about every four days. If you’re busy and need something that will allow you to go longer between refills, you may want another unit.
- Sound of water can distract cats: This a quiet cat water fountain as far as the motor is concerned, but the falling water makes a fair bit of noise, and the splash gets noisier the lower the water levels go. This can be distracting to some cats who prefer quiet.
|Price||Check Price||Check Price||Check Price|
|dimensions||10.5 x 8.87 x 5.75 in||10.7 x 10.7 x 5.5 in||8 x 9.2 x 5 in|
|color||Blue, red, taupe, white||White||Grey, white|
|capacity||70 oz||71 oz||70 oz|
|weight||6.67 lbs||7.1 lbs||5.2 lbs|
|warranty||1 year||1 year||1 year|
The silent operation of the pump doesn’t scare away cats with sensitive ears as long as you keep the water levels high.
Extremely simple, yet very efficient, the PetSafe Drinkwell Pagoda Cat Water Fountain provides cats with fresh, cool drinking water and its design encourages them to stay well-hydrated.
The silent operation of the pump doesn’t scare away cats with sensitive ears as long as you keep the water levels high. The multi-level design makes it perfect for households with two cats, and the ceramic bowls are safe to put in the top shelf of a dishwasher.
Beautifully constructed, it is a gorgeous cat water fountain that blends into any décor, but is small enough to fit in a tight space for the private cat that prefers solitude when having a drink. It is a versatile fountain that keeps cats healthy.
Drinking water that comes from a fresh supply is much more pleasing to cats than water that has been sitting in a dish all day.
A cat water fountain mimics running water to get your cat to drink more water and stay hydrated.
The running water in a fountain is easier for a cat to notice than a still pool in a bowl.
Better still, fountains keep a steady supply of fresh, clean water that cats seem to enjoy the taste of more.
A cat that is well hydrated has a reduced risk of health issues, so getting a water dispenser can only improve their overall well-being.
The mechanical filtration system involves a foam filter that surrounds the pump. This filter removes pet hair and large debris from entering the pump.
Having an automatic water dispenser makes it more appealing for cats to get the daily water intake they need to stay healthy. The iPettie Ceramic Quiet Cat Water Fountain provides some of the best water and has a beautiful design that really puts it above many other models.
Compared to plastic, ceramic fountains are more hygienic. This ceramic model will keep cat acne from occurring as well as any allergies.
A dual filtration system makes water fresh and delicious. The mechanical filtration system involves a foam filter that surrounds the pump. This filter removes pet hair and large debris from entering the pump. Then, the chemical filtration system gets rid of odors and any nasty tastes.
|dimensions||10.7 x 10.7 x 5.5 in|
The circulation of the water prevents it from becoming stagnant. This fountain utilizes a pump that uses low consumption of electricity to keep the water in motion. Designed with a triple free falling design, even more oxygen is added to the fresh water trickling down, making it nearly impossible for a cat to resist going back for more.
The fountain’s design gives 360 degree access. Multiple cats can use it at once and all find a place to have some water. The capacity makes it easy to provide more than one cat enough water for days at a time.
Constructed of solid materials, this iPettie fountain is stronger than most plastic models you’ll find. It encourages cats to drink more water, uses safe materials and has a lovely design. It is sure to last a long time and keep the entire household happy.
One of the safest cat water fountains on the market, there’s no concern about BPA or other harmful substances finding their way into the water supply.
Great as a gift for the cat lover you know, this iPettie ceramic fountain does a lot of things right. From the quality of water it produces for cats to its overall appearance, cats and those who love them can’t say enough good things.
- Large capacity: This pet water fountain is perfect for owners who like to take short weekend trips or can be a little forgetful because it holds a lot of water. With a capacity of 2.1 liters, a cat can drink from it for two weeks.
- Multiple points of drinking access: The design of this fountain makes it feel as if there are three ceramic cat bowls in one. Cats can drink from the side of the tower, the fountain basin or from one of the three falling streams of water.
- Ultra quiet: Who knew a pump could be so quiet? This ceramic water fountain for cats has a pump that makes very little noise, making it great for cats that are frightened by the loud noise that many pumps make. This makes owners pretty happy too.
- No harmful materials: One of the safest cat water fountains on the market, there’s no concern about BPA or other harmful substances finding their way into the water supply. The ceramic is non-toxic and eco-friendly. The few pieces of plastic are BPA free.
- Refreshing water: A three-stage purification system makes the question of are water fountains good for cats unnecessary. The first stage removes waste, the second stage eliminates bad tastes and odors and the third softens the water. Your feline will have better water than you!
- Well designed: The ceramic is high quality and durable. The lotus design will fascinate your cat as water flows out of the spouts. It is quite a beautiful structure. You’ll be surprised at how it works well with your home’s other decorations.
With enough features built in to make your life a little bit more stress free, cats are going to have clean, fresh water for a long period of time with this iPettie ceramic fountain. Even with the few drawbacks that come along with the unit, it is still a highly recommended product.
- Instructions can be hard to follow: Putting the cat water fountain’s ceramic pieces together isn’t as easy as you’d hope. This is because the directions come in the form of very tiny pictures that are not very clear. To avoid possible frustration, there are plenty of videos online to help you out.
- Foam filter replacements can get pricey: Extra filters are included, but once they are gone you’ll have to replace them on your own, which can add up. You can get more out of the foam filters, however, by rinsing them out well. They last for several more weeks than the recommended time.
- Heavy: Very durable, but this durability comes with a price. The ceramic fountain weighs over 7 pounds. This can make cleaning the fountain a chore since it needs to be washed occasionally. Thankfully it can be wiped down most of the time and disassembled for a deep clean.
|Price||Check Price||Check Price||Check Price|
|dimensions||10.7 x 10.7 x 5.5 in||10.5 x 8.87 x 5.75 in||8 x 9.2 x 5 in|
|color||White||Blue, red, taupe, white||Grey, white|
|capacity||71 oz||70 oz||70 oz|
|weight||7.1 lbs||6.67 lbs||5.2 lbs|
|warranty||1 year||1 year||1 year|
With multiple points of access to drink water, it has enough options for even the pickiest cat’s preferences.
Made from non-toxic ceramic, the iPettie Ceramic Quiet Cat Water Fountain is ideal for owners who want an eco-friendly water dispenser for their cat. With whisper quiet operation and a beautiful design, it fits perfectly into most homes.
With multiple points of access to drink water, it has enough options for even the pickiest cat’s preferences. Dual filtration and triple purification ensures that water stays fresh for a long time and the high storage capacity lets you go a long time before having to refill it. Though it’s heavy, as long as it is cleaned regularly it operates well.
Smartly designed, this elegant cat water fountain is scratch-resistant, reliable and sure to be your feline’s new favorite way to drink water.
Just like humans, cats enjoy water that is fresh and clean. Unfortunately, it can be harder for cats to get the amount of water they need due to their diets.
A cat water fountain gets cats excited about drinking more water.
Fountains can be made of different materials. No matter which you choose, it should be well-made with a cat’s safety the top priority.
More than anything, a cat has to want to drink from it.
Knowing whether a cat enjoys drinking from a leaking faucet or the toilet can help you decide what kind of model is right for your feline friend.
The entire fountain is made from ceramic. This makes it more hygienic and lessens the chance that cats may develop acne.
Cats have their own ways of telling you it’s time for a water fountain. They may drink from the toilet or a leaky faucet whenever they can or they may only drink water from their bowl when it has been filled with fresh water. In any case, they will enjoy the PetSafe Drinkwell Seascape Cat Water Fountain.
Unlike many fountains that make a showy display with water bubbling up and splashing down into the lower bowl, this one actually recreates the subtle, calming ripples of the sea. Cats that are fond of their water dish will take to it immediately, but those that prefer moving water will also love it.
A globe-shaped tower sits in the middle of a 5-inch deep reservoir that is nearly square (8″ x 9.2″). The water gently bubbles out the top of the globe and covers the sphere as it falls into the drinking bowl. It is quiet and peaceful. The water goes through a double filtration process and the constant circulation inhibits the growth of bacteria.
|dimensions||8 x 9.2 x 5 in|
The entire fountain is made from ceramic. This makes it more hygienic and lessens the chance that cats may develop acne.
Included with the unit is a low voltage submersible pump with an inline plug. The cord is almost 5 feet long making it easy to place the fountain in many places.
With its chic design and efficient operation, going with the flow has never been easier. Sit back, relax, watch your pet drink until their heart’s content and have peace of mind that you’ve made the right choice regarding the health of your favorite fur ball.
The pump motor is so quiet it’s easy to forget that this is an electric pet water fountain.
PetSafe has spent years reinventing pet products from the home. This latest Drinkwell Seascape cat fountain shows they haven’t lost their flare for creating unique products that work effectively. Cats can drink safely from this fountain and owners will be happy their cats are hydrated.
- Steady supply of fresh water: Two cat water fountain filters make sure the water is also fresh and free of dirt. The carbon filter, made from organic coconut shells removes bad odors and leaves behind tasty water. A different filter catches debris before it ever reaches the pump.
- Easy transition from regular water bowl: The cat water fountain vs bowl debate is effectively ended by this fountain. Water gently burbles out the top then flows over the spherical centerpiece into the bowl beneath. It’s very similar to drinking out of a bowl, except the water is cleaner and fresher.
- Multiple drinking areas: Cats can choose where they want their fill of water from. They can drink from the top of the fountain where the water bubbles out or they can drink from the sides or corners of the bowl. Your cat will find a favorite spot.
- Quiet bubbling operation: The pump motor is so quiet it’s easy to forget that this is an electric pet water fountain. There is barely a splashing noise at all, making it perfect for your favorite scaredy-cat that hates noise and having water splashing in their face.
- Simple cleaning: When it comes to cleaning, this is the best cat water fountain. Save for the motor, the ceramic pieces can safely be placed in the dishwasher and for quick cleanings, the lack of small crevices make it easy to wipe down.
- Stylish and well-made design: Made in a deep gray color, this modern cat water fountain Drinkwell has designed makes it clear the company doesn’t believe that a pet owner has to sacrifice style when keeping your pet’s drinking water healthy. It is sturdy and gorgeous.
Looking more like a modern art sculpture than a fountain for cats, this uniquely designed water dispenser is quiet and doesn’t require too much energy to run. Like all products, though, there are some issues to know about before purchasing.
- Be careful, it’s slick: The surfaces of both the tower globe and bowl can be slippery when wet, so be cautious when handling them. Some pieces are not sold separately, so if it breaks you may have to replace the entire fountain.
- Regular maintenance required: The filters need to be changed frequently. It’s recommended that they carbon filter be changed once every 2-4 weeks and the foam filter every 4-8 weeks. The carbon filter has a plastic casing that is tricky to open when wet. Wait until it’s dry to change it.
- Not the largest capacity: The capacity for the fountain is around 70 ounces and it will need to be filled pretty regularly. Busy cat owners who may not remember to always put water in the unit may want something larger.
|Price||Check Price||Check Price||Check Price|
|dimensions||8 x 9.2 x 5 in||10.5 x 8.87 x 5.75 in||10.7 x 10.7 x 5.5 in|
|color||Grey, white||Blue, red, taupe, white||White|
|capacity||70 oz||70 oz||71 oz|
|weight||5.2 lbs||6.67 lbs||7.1 lbs|
|warranty||1 year||1 year||1 year|
Dual filters catch debris and pet hair from entering the water while also making sure it is fresh and tasty.
The PetSafe Drinkwell Seascape Cat Water Fountain provides the feeling that a fresh, burbling spring is inside of your home. Extremely quiet, it is non-disruptive and easily approachable making it more appealing for cats to get their daily dose of H20.
Dual filters catch debris and pet hair from entering the water while also making sure it is fresh and tasty. Though the unit’s capacity means you’ll have to fill it up often, refilling it is a breeze. As long as you are keeping up with regular maintenance, there should be no problem with smooth operation.
Perfect for nervous pets or owners with small homes, this ultra-quiet cat water fountain will keep the most finicky feline hydrated, healthy and happy.
A diet of dry kibble can put cats at risk of dehydration, but they need to be coaxed into drinking the amount of water they need to stay healthy.
A cat water fountain can help replenish the lack of water in their diets.
A fountain that encourages your beloved cat to drink water is a winner.
Since cats prefer running water, finding a fountain that simulates a bubbling stream is going to spark their interest and thirst.
Available in a variety of styles, some cats may want the kind of fountain that makes them feel like they are lapping at a swift moving stream while others may want the full waterfall experience.
How do cat water fountains work to keep the water clean? This one has an aquarium pump housed inside the ceramic tower.
Every cat is not happy drinking from fountains that splash them in the face as they lap up the much needed water. The sound they make can be too loud and distracting. If your cat falls into that category, try the PetSafe Drinkwell Sedona Cat Water Fountain.
Pets that don’t love splashing water will have no issues using this fountain because it is very similar to the dish they are used to drinking out of. The difference is the water is fresher and cleaner.
How do cat water fountains work to keep the water clean? This one has an aquarium pump housed inside the ceramic tower. The tower has an opening at its base that lets the water from the bowl flow directly into the pump. A filter made of foam inside the pump catches large debris and pet hair and prevents it from ever entering into the pump.
|dimensions||9.8 x 12.5 x 5.3 in|
The water is then filtered a second time by a carbon filter. It’s this filter that removes unwanted odors and any bad tastes from the water. Filtered water then flows out of the top opening of the tower and slides quietly back into the BPA-free plastic bowl.
Designed to operate with minimal noise, the water flow is strong enough to smoothly slide down the sides of the fountain, but not strong enough to cause strong splashing sounds.
If you want healthier water for your pet, this is the fountain to get. The best part is that because it is so similar to an ordinary bowl they will have no problem adjusting to it.
Though it has constant water circulation to entice cats to drink, with this cat water bowl, the fountain doesn’t bubble up and splash down heavily like other models.
Fans of this chic PetSafe Sedona fountain love its cutting edge design and the minimal amount of noise it makes. With its low voltage, it won’t add too much to the electricity bill as it delivers water to your favorite feline.
- Delicious water: Thanks to a dual filter, this cat water dispenser keeps clean water at the ready. The carbon filter ensures water is fresh tasting and the submersible pump draws in oxygen, preventing the growth of bacteria and keeping the water aerated.
- Always know when to change or refill water: Designed with a clear cat water fountain bowl, checking the water level is extremely easy. It also helps to check the status of the water quality. You can clearly see when the water is dirty and needs a change.
- Accommodates multiple cats: With a 100 ounce capacity and a bowl design that provides a large drinking area, this fountain can easily fit two cats. According to some cat water fountain reviews, it is even large enough to add ice cubes to the bowl in the summer months!
- Great for cats that don’t like waterfalls: Though it has constant water circulation to entice cats to drink, with this cat water bowl, the fountain doesn’t bubble up and splash down heavily like other models. Water comes out the top gently and flows quietly down the sides. Cats that don’t like waterfalls will love it.
- No water to clean off the floor: Leaks can happen with fountains, but not this one. The PetSafe Sedona model is sealed very well to prevent any leaks from occurring. On top of fine construction, the design of both the bowl and ceramic tower minimize the amount of splashes and spills.
- Fit for a mansion: Serene looking and ultra-modern, this PetSafe Drinkwell pet fountain can complement and even upgrade any room it finds itself in. While your cat is getting a constant supply of fresh water, you are also adding an elegant touch to your home’s décor.
When it comes to providing a steady supply of fresh water that is clean, while also encouraging cats to have a drink, this Drinkwell Sedona fountain is a homerun. Its beautiful design doesn’t mean it doesn’t have its own set of issues that could be improved, though.
- Be gentle with the plastic: The plastic bowl can scratch fairly easily and the marks will be very visible. The design of this fountain is a highlight so to keep it looking good, use a soft sponge or microfiber cloth to avoid scratches while cleaning it.
- Ceramic tower construction could be improved: The ceramic tower is not attached to the rest of the fountain and it can be knocked over by your kitty. You’ll also have to be careful when transporting it to the dishwasher. It can drop and break, and replacements are not available.
- Don’t ignore upkeep: This is a machine that cannot go a weeks and weeks without being cleaned. It requires frequent cleaning to perform well. To prevent the pump from becoming damaged, deep cleanings should be performed every two weeks.
|Price||Check Price||Check Price||Check Price|
|dimensions||9.8 x 12.5 x 5.3 in||10.5 x 8.87 x 5.75 in||10.7 x 10.7 x 5.5 in|
|color||Transparent, white||Blue, red, taupe, white||White|
|capacity||100 oz||70 oz||71 oz|
|weight||4 lbs||6.67 lbs||7.1 lbs|
|warranty||1 year||1 year||1 year|
Water stays fresh and cool through a dual filtration system and the bowl is large enough for more than one cat.
The PetSafe Drinkwell Sedona Cat Water Fountain is the ideal water dispenser for the cat owner who needs a large capacity fountain and no-fuss cleaning.
Water stays fresh and cool through a dual filtration system and the bowl is large enough for more than one cat. To keep it working in tip-top condition, it must be cleaned more than other models and care when handling the tower is necessary, but the payoff is great. Its noiseless operation doesn’t scare away cats with sensitive hearing or those that don’t enjoy the spray of most waterfall fountains.
Uniquely designed and well-constructed, this is a cat water fountain you won’t regret adding to your home and is one your kitty will enjoy drinking out of.
Cat parents know the importance of having fresh water available for their kitties. Unfortunately, water can get dusty or stagnant and cats are less likely to drink it.
A cat water fountain is the perfect way to combat stale, dirty water, and keep cats hydrated.
Cats like fresh water and many prefer drinking running water, which is why they may enjoy drinking from the faucet when you brush your teeth.
Fountains come with and without free falling streams, but every model has the same goal: to keep a fresh, clean supply of water available for your pet.
You’ll have to figure out which type works best for your household.
For the house where one cat just isn’t enough, this dispenser can hold a massive amount of water.
Featuring a simple, yet functional design, the PetSafe Drinkwell BPA-Free Cat Water Fountain has a free-falling stream that entices cats to drink more water. By drinking more water, the feline in your life will be at a lower risk of contracting the urinary infections and kidney diseases dehydrated cats are prone to.
For the house where one cat just isn’t enough, this dispenser can hold a massive amount of water. It can keep one cat drinking for about two weeks before the unit must be refilled and, needless to say, it can definitely keep two or three cats drinking for a couple of days.
Never worry about cat safety with this model. Though it is made of plastic, all of the plastic parts are BPA-free which means no hazardous chemicals can leak into your pet’s supply of water.
|dimensions||14.56 x 15.43 x 10.12 in|
Filtration systems are necessary to keep the water clean and fresh; a cat water fountain without a filter is just a regular dish. This unit boasts a dual filtration system that removes dirt and debris from entering and then another that makes the water taste good for the kitty in your life.
Offering a fair amount of control over water flow, it has multiple settings that can adjust the stream and how loud it operates. If you have cats that scare easily, this is a delightful feature to have.
Easy to refill and dishwasher safe, this PetSafe fountain is perfect for owners who must travel without their furry ones or those who have a lot of cats that need to drink more water.
Designed with two cat water fountain filters, cats will have a steady supply of running fresh water that stays clean.
This PetSafe water dispenser offers cat owners more control over its operation than many other models, and cat owners will love the flexibility it offers. Made from safe plastic, this is a fountain that has been designed for you and your pet.
- Spend more time away from home: This PetSafe water fountain doesn’t have a refill reservoir, but that’s because it doesn’t need one. As the name suggests, it holds a massive two gallons of water, which is plenty to keep a cat (or two) hydrated for a long time.
- Adjustable flow: Splashing water could be a problem for sensitive cat and owners, but with this model the water flow can be easily adjusted. On the lowest setting, the water just circulates staying fresh and clean without any splashing at all.
- Water stays clean: Designed with two cat water fountain filters, cats will have a steady supply of running fresh water that stays clean. One filter catches large particles and debris before they can reach the motor. The second filter removes any bad smells and tastes.
- Relatively quiet: Considering its size, this is a quiet cat water fountain. The hum of the motor is much softer than you’d expect and certainly won’t be noticed throughout the day when your home is bustling with activity or even when everyone has settled down for the night.
- Keep splashing to a minimum: Fountains with bubbling and cascading water can get messy. Besides the adjustable flow, this PetSafe cat water fountain’s bowl is 5 inches deep creating a splash guard of sorts. The receiving ramp and spout have also been designed to reduce the splash of water as it falls.
- Great for multiple pets: One of the best cat water fountains for accommodating a multi-cat household, the overall size creates lots of room for multiple cats to have a drink without crowding. They can walk up to it without having to squat and without water falling on their heads.
With a large capacity and quality filtration, this is a water fountain that you can fill up and forget about for a while. In comparison to other similar models, however, there are some minor things about this 2 gallon dispenser you may not love.
- Large footprint: This should go without saying given its large capacity, but it takes up some floor space; 14.6″ x 15.4″ to be exact. You’ll want to make sure you have the room to fit it comfortably somewhere. Its large size can also intimidate some cats. Introduce it to them slowly – the running water should help though.
- Cord design could be improved: The cord doesn’t disconnect from the base of the fountain easily. It plugs in underneath the entire dispenser, so when you pick up the unit to dump water, for instance, the cord comes right along, dragging behind you.
- Not so fun to clean: Cleaning a fountain of this size is not the easiest thing to do. It doesn’t really fit into a regular size sink and the cylindrical bumps on the inside edge of the bowl are difficult to clean. Luckily, there’s a PetSafe cleaning kit that helps.
|Price||Check Price||Check Price||Check Price|
|dimensions||14.56 x 15.43 x 10.12 in||10.5 x 8.87 x 5.75 in||10.7 x 10.7 x 5.5 in|
|color||Grey||Blue, red, taupe, white||White|
|capacity||256 oz||70 oz||71 oz|
|weight||4.06 lbs||6.67 lbs||7.1 lbs|
|warranty||1 year||1 year||1 year|
The free-falling stream entices cats to drink more water, improving their overall well-being.
Designed with convenience in mind, the PetSafe Drinkwell BPA-Free Cat Water Fountain holds two gallons of fresh water making it ideal for multi-pet homes or cat owners who must travel often.
The free-falling stream entices cats to drink more water, improving their overall well-being. A dual filtration system along with the pump and motor, work together to keep water fresh and clean. Though dishwasher approved, washing by hand is a bit more difficult but worth the effort. As long as you have space in your home, this fountain will save you a lot of time.
With adjustable water flow, durable BPA-free plastic and quiet operation, this is one cat water fountain that can adjust to a cat’s preferences and will last a long time.
Best Cat Water Fountain Buying Guide
Filtered or Unfiltered?
When you’re seeking out a water fountain, you want to be sure that you consider whether the water should be filtered or unfiltered. While you can find a cat water fountain without a filter, many cats prefer the taste of filtered water and it’s generally healthier as well.
Thankfully, filtered fountains are easy to maintain and the replacement filters are relatively cheap and easy to find. The filters are quick to replace, and they last for months as long as you take care of the pre-filter.
Amount of Noise
Cats have very sensitive ears, and they will likely avoid any sort of water fountain that makes a lot of noise while they’re trying to drink water from it.
Because of this, manufacturers have developed multiple styles of quiet cat water fountains that won’t bother cats or their humans. The motors inside have been specially developed so that it doesn’t stress a cat out when they get close and start drinking from it.
How Much Water Does it Hold?
A majority of the cat water fountain cooler options that you’ll find use a water bladder or cooler-style design in order to hold multiple quarts of water. It’s rare to find options that hook to a spigot or faucet.
You don’t want to be refilling their fountain every day, so be sure that you find options that have a high capacity. Some of the largest options can hold 4 gallons of water or more.
You need to be sure that you have a fountain that has a certain amount of heft when it’s empty – but not too much so. If your cat accidentally moves it, they could get wet and then be opposed to using the fountain in the future.
On top of that, you’re going to be cleaning it out on occasion, so you want to be sure that it’s light enough to lift without any strain or struggle.
The most popular option is the stainless steel fountain. They are very attractive; their finish stands out and looks fantastic in any room.
They are very practical as well. The material is rust-proof and very easy to keep clean. Stainless steel fountains are known to last a long time. Many cat owners have cited that they are able to use their stainless model for years and years, no matter how many cats they own.
Another option you may find during your search is ceramic water fountains for cats. Ceramic also looks very good and is simple to clean. In some cases, the time between cleanings is much longer due to ceramic’s hygienic properties.
Ceramic is, however, much heavier than stainless steel which could make it hard to lift. These fountains are also a bit more expensive than their stainless steel and plastic counterparts.
If you’re looking for a low-cost fountain that can withstand a lot of use, then you want to look at plastic as an option. They’re very accessible and you can find them for almost any budget.
When looking for plastic options, be sure that they are heavy enough that they don’t move around or tip over. Also, look for BPA-free plastic products. This will ensure that your cat is safer by reducing the risk of getting any unwanted chemicals into their water.
Ease of Cleaning
To keep your cat as safe and healthy as possible, you want to be sure that you can clean their fountain quite easily. You’ll find that cat water fountain algae can be quite common, so you want to keep an eye on it.
Clean your cat’s water fountain at least once a week to prevent the growth of algae and other bacteria. Frequent cleaning will also ensure the longevity of the fountain as well.
Size of the Bowl
The cat water fountain bowl is another essential consideration, as your cat needs to be able to fit their face into the space without any problems.
You want to be sure that you have a space that is wide enough for your cat to dip their head toward the bowl area without the possibility of it getting stuck or getting water on their ears or face. It will make it much more comfortable for your cat to use the water fountain.
While there are a handful of cat water fountains that use gravity to work, most of them have internal motors. Those motors are electrically powered and the majority of options are corded – with a cable that you plug into the wall.
Manufacturers have worked hard to conceal these cords as best as they can to protect the cat and prevent humans from tripping, but proximity to an outlet should be considered. Cord length varies, but most models range between 5 to 10 feet.
Battery Operated vs. Plug-In
Lately, a small number of battery operated cat water fountains have hit the market, and they work just as well at the electric options that you need to plug into the wall.
Battery powered models typically contain a rechargeable battery. All you need to do is take the battery out of the unit and then charge it using the supplied charging cable. Many of these also have a cable that you can plug into the wall so that the water fountain is still functional when the battery is charging.
Accessibility for Disabled/Older Cats
Senior cats or those with a disability may have a difficult time bending over to get a drink from their water fountain, so you want to look for something that provides appropriate accessibility.
One of the best solutions in this case is multiple levels of bowls. That way, your cat can choose where they want to get the water from, instead of being forced to bend over to get at the water. This option is also excellent for multi-cat households and is perfect for a kitty that has to wear a cat cone while recovering from surgery or some other injury.
Your fountain is going to have a prominent place in your kitchen, and even if your guests don’t notice it, you will. So, you want to be sure that you get something that looks nice and that matches your kitchen well.
Nowadays, many of these fountains have a variety of choices in terms of color, appearance, and size. With all the available options, you’re sure to find one that fits well in your home, but don’t forget that functionality should come first.
The best cat water fountains are not necessarily a small investment, so you want to be sure that you get a model that is going to last you a long time.
Ceramic and stainless steel are the most likely to have a long lifespan, even with multiple cats. There are a handful of plastic options out there that will last a long time if you take care of them well and keep them clean.
Ability to Keep Dirt and Grime Out
Some fountains are better at keeping dirt, food, and other undesirable items out of the water bowls. They’ll have a pre-filter that holds hair and junk back, and a lip that makes it hard for that stuff to get into the bowl area in the first place.
The best cat water fountain is one that can be cleaned easily, but that also reduces how often you’ll need to clean the entire device.
Frequently Asked Questions
Why use a water fountain instead of a water bowl?
While stainless steel and ceramic cat bowls are very hygienic, there are still many cats that prefer drinking from a water source that moves. It likely has to do with their natural instincts.
In the wild, animals recognize that moving water is much safer than still water. In the wild, still water is likely to make them ill because of the bacteria and other dangers lurking in there. So, since cats have only been domesticated for a short period of time (relatively speaking), they still have that worry in the back of their brain.
Can I get a water fountain that connects to a water supply?
While most water fountains for cats have a refillable container to hold the water, there are a small handful of models that allow you to hook it up to a pipe, faucet, or spigot.
These options typically have a hose and are connected to your sink or spigot through what is called a “diverter valve” which controls where the water goes. This allows you to continue using your sink or spigot while also providing your cat with a fresh flow of water.
What about water fountains for multi-cat households?
A water fountain is an excellent solution for multi-cat households! Not only does it provide them with fresh water, but they often have much larger holding areas for water than a typical bowl. So, you won’t have to fill it up quite as often as you would other options.
Multi-level pet water fountains are also a good choice for multiple cats because it provides them with the most options and makes it easier for multiple cats to drink at one time.
What is a pre-filter?
A pre-filter is a place in the filtration system where, before the water gets to the last, finer filter, it goes through something that looks like a large piece of foam.
Pre filters are essential because they prevent cat hair and other debris from getting into the cat water fountain pump. This results in fewer pump cleanings and helps your fountain to have a much longer lifespan, as well.
Do I have to worry about my long-haired cat using a fountain?
Not necessarily. Many people worry that their long-haired cat can get their fur caught in the motor and other moving parts, but the mechanics of fountains are hidden away in spaces where cats cannot get to them.
If you’re concerned that your cat will get wet and drag water across the house, then you’ll want to find a model with an upper basin. This makes it easier for your cat to drink and less likely that they’ll accidentally get their fur in the bowl.
- Effect of water source on intake and urine concentration in healthy cats, US National Library of Medicine, Dec 14, 2009
- Environmental Enrichment for Indoor Cats, US National Library of Medicine, Dec 2, 2010
- Treat Your Pets Like Family, FoodSafety.gov, Jul 15, 2014
- The surprising physics of cats' drinking, Massachusetts Institute of Technology, Nov 12, 2010
- Feline Lower Urinary Tract Disease, Texas A&M Veterinary Medicine, Apr 7, 2016
- 10 Best Cat Water Fountains: Your Ultimate List, Heavy.com, Oct 16, 2018
- The best water fountain for cats and dogs, Engadget, Apr 29, 2018
- The Best Water Fountain for Cats and Dogs, The Wirecutter, Nov 1, 2017
- Top 5 Automatic Water Dispensers for Cats, The Spruce Pets, Sep 27, 2018
- The best cat fountains you can buy, Business Insider, May 30, 2017